Would you go the week of 5/4/20? Between 2 cheer comps

I'd just like to point out that May 4 is Star Wars Day. I'm personally going just to say I was at SWGE for Star Wars day (and hopefully a special event will pop up), but I'd be cautious about planning your Hollywood Studios visit around that if you're not a big SW fan. Other than that, seems like a great time to go!

Love May!!!!! We have traveled all the weeks but early May is the best. Cheers are there but they are busy and not usually having much time in parks. It is still school so not like they can really add on too much time for fun.

I just would never stay at the values or the moderate where they are offered. By 7 am and have at times had it until 2 am ... cheering outside practicing. [You can look up the Cheer Championship sites and pull the registration info where they can stay.]

I'm looking at going during this time of the year for my next trip and kind of freaked out when I heard about the cheer competition being held there during that time of year. However, upon reading all the posts, I'm starting to feel better. When they are down there, they are there to practice and for competition, so they wouldn't be spending much time in the parks. And it's nice to know you can look up and find out where they are staying.

last year I looked them up and found there travel deals . most were thur or fri to sunday . standard deal was all star sports which they had fully booked for those nights . up grade options were caribbean for cheerleader group and coronado for dance group as it looked like the dance comp was in there conference centre . the cheerleading comp was at espn area

Nice to know that they are generally kept at certain resorts.

As a side note, I just remembered someone I use to work with went down every year for cheer competition, I'll have to ask her about it.

I went in mid-May this year, and those bugs were everywhere. All over the seats in parking lot trams. Also there was one day it rained for hours on end. Not eager to do May again, although I've heard there were more bugs than usual this year.
Ughh hate reading this. Just booked may 16 the 24th. Maybe thats later then you went?? Thought id miss the bugs.

We were at Disney the first week of May this year and in the afternoon is was WAY too hot to be at the parks. Also rained a few times in the afternoon, but that can happen at any time. Some of the parks were wall-to-wall people which made walking around a challenge at times. Seems Disney is crowded most of the year and there isn't any specific week you can go when it isn't. Saw a few of those bugs but honestly that was no big deal since they don't sting/bite and it would appear Disney sprays the parks since we never saw any there.

My favorite time of year to visit parks is when
:-)
We have been it seems like in every month or close to it, and each one has merits. I tend to lean toward parties when cramming in something like a one day visit, but I’m biased to prefer nights.

They will be at the All Stars. If you look for availability in early May you will see that none of the AS are bookable. We are going May 4-13th and (before I knew about the competition) had hoped to book ASMo, when it never showed up as available I called Disney. I was told that all 3 resorts are either booked or on hold for the competition.

I had booked Pop originally, but for the same price we can stay at the Dolphin - so we are trying the Dolphin for the first time next year. Super excited since you can't beat the location!

so annoyed that they are blocked out! AND Pop is coming up as $193/night during the time we want to go! That's way too much! And my dates for Swan/Dolphin are CRAZY expensive, maybe you have some connections.....

I just can't believe that Pop is SO MUCH MONEY, we are trying to predict if any discounts will come out, as the spring ones stop April 25th! BOOOOO

May is a great time to visit WDW! When my kids were younger we would visit in May almost every year. I would pull them out of school and we would go. I don’t ever remember the bugs being an issue or something that had an effect on our tris. Nor do I remember the cheerleaders.
Fast forward 10 years and I was a cheer mom😂
Went 3 years in a row to Summit during the beginning of May. As for parks It won’t be anymore crowded then any other time visiting Disney. The cheer leaders are so scheduled and restricted they are barely in the parks. Many families will stay after comp is over but again nothing you will notice. Many cheer families leave immediately after comps are over.
Now the hotels will be crowded. Many gyms stay on site and many are at the “fringe” hotels, Swan/Dolphin, Hilton etc.
May weather wise is typically beautiful! We had almost perfect weather and temps many years. A couple years had unusually warm but great time to rake a break and go back to the hotel for a swim!
May is by far my most favorite time to go.
Have a fabulous time!

so annoyed that they are blocked out! AND Pop is coming up as $193/night during the time we want to go! That's way too much! And my dates for Swan/Dolphin are CRAZY expensive, maybe you have some connections.....

I just can't believe that Pop is SO MUCH MONEY, we are trying to predict if any discounts will come out, as the spring ones stop April 25th! BOOOOO

Disney wants to try and keep you in the Disney bubble, but if that bubble is too expensive then I can't do the bubble.

Disney wants to try and keep you in the Disney bubble, but if that bubble is too expensive then I can't do the bubble.

Yeah, I am looking at booking a dapper day rate, and even working on some friends and family rates at some Disney "partner" hotels....

but honestly, a few years ago, we started staying at All Star Sports for somewhere between $95-$115, and having to fork out $193 for a night at Pop is a bit jarring.....

Yeah, I am looking at booking a dapper day rate, and even working on some friends and family rates at some Disney "partner" hotels....

but honestly, a few years ago, we started staying at All Star Sports for somewhere between $95-$115, and having to fork out $193 for a night at Pop is a bit jarring.....

That's just nuts! I know it's been said before, but Disney's just gotten too expensive. Until people vote with their wallets, Disney will continue to do this. I know, beating a dead horse.

That's way too much! And my dates for Swan/Dolphin are CRAZY expensive, maybe you have some connections.....
I used Priceline for the Dolphin. They usually have S&D on their Express Deals section, I went through RetailMeNot which had an 8% discount code (this is their usual discount code, I have seen it as high as 10%). Taxes and fees included I got the Dolphin for $200 a night. I did not save much (Pop was $57 more total) and I am sure there will be a discount for early May, but I am very excited about the location of the Dolphin.

I'd just like to point out that May 4 is Star Wars Day. I'm personally going just to say I was at SWGE for Star Wars day (and hopefully a special event will pop up), but I'd be cautious about planning your Hollywood Studios visit around that if you're not a big SW fan. Other than that, seems like a great time to go!

We were there over May 4th this year. I planned that as our HS before even thinking about the date. Obviously this was before SWGE was open but I was glad it turned out that way. We got some some buttons and certificates we would not have otherwise gotten.

I would go in early May again. Sure, the love bugs were around but overall it was a great trip. We did not notice the cheerleaders (we were staying at BLT).

We're also going to Pop around that time and hoping for some discounts. We had been planning to do one of the All Stars but can't because of the cheerleaders.

May is a lovely time to go! It starts to get so miserable in June. I won't go again in June---ever.
Honestly, WDW is so crowded all the time. Thousands of cheerleaders just blend in with the rest. You won't notice. It's just crowded. You'll have the same amount of fun but without the heat and humidity!

I used Priceline for the Dolphin. They usually have S&D on their Express Deals section, I went through RetailMeNot which had an 8% discount code (this is their usual discount code, I have seen it as high as 10%). Taxes and fees included I got the Dolphin for $200 a night. I did not save much (Pop was $57 more total) and I am sure there will be a discount for early May, but I am very excited about the location of the Dolphin.
oh wow, that's awesome!

We're also going to Pop around that time and hoping for some discounts. We had been planning to do one of the All Stars but can't because of the cheerleaders.
same boat....we just booked Pop yesterday....ugh.....waiting for discounts too!!

I went 2016 this week. It was 85 but felt like 90. So be prepared to sweat. And I'm from Texas. I would say crowd levels were about a 5.

We went this year right after Mother’s Day and it was great. Crowds weren’t bad and weather was wonderful. Going the same week in 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts