Would you go to DC if you couldnt do the Dolphin swim?

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to talk DH into the dolphin swim. I thought he would say ok if it's just the kids and me. But it's a lot of extra money with even 3.
Will we regret not doing the dolphin swim? Is it worth it?

We did the dolphin swim the first year, we have been back twice since then and we will return in 3 weeks for our 3rd visit. We don't miss the dolphin swim at all. Don't get me wrong we loved our dolphin swim day as well but we do love not having the time constraints of the dolphin swim as well. It is a geat park. Plus you won't miss something you haven't done just enjoy the park.

I have been to DC three times over the years and have done the dolphin swim each time. While the dolphin swim was great to have the experience, my favorite memories come from just relaxing in the lazy river or feeding the birds in the aviary and swimming with the fish and rays. You can still sit in beach chairs right behind where they do the dolphin interactions so you can still see them and watch the show they put on at the end of each swim. I would definitely tell you to still go even if you can't do the dolphin swim because you and your family will have a great time. Just a tip, if you do choose to go make sure to go feed the birds in the aviary first thing in the morning because that is when they are often the hungriest since it is their breakfast and not many people are there at that time. Have fun!

We are going in two weeks and it will be our first time at DC. We opted not to do the dolphin swim this time(2A 2C) to save some money. This is also our "relaxing" day of the vacation so I didn't want to have ANY time constraints. I just wanted to be able to go where ever, when ever:) I can let you know if we were disappointed that we didn't do it, but honestly we really won't know what we are missing and I'm not even sure my youngest would actually get in the water with the dolphins.

We had an absolute blast on our visit without the dolphin swim (we have been twice....once with the dolphin experience and once without, and had an equally good time at both!). DC is a full day of wonderful activities, and the dolphin swim is really just a small part. With snorkelling in the Grand Reef, eating all the yummy food and snacks, visiting the birds in the Aviary, eating again, making sandcastles on the beach, eating some more, floating along the lazy river, watching the monkeys and the otters play in the Freshwater Oasis, and did I mention all the great things to eat?!? :rotfl: .... there's TONS to do.

Go and enjoy :) . You will not be sorry!

We have been twice and not done the dolphin swim. We kept very busy bouncing from the reef to the aviary to the otters and back again that we did not miss the dolphin swim at all. In fact, I don't know what I would have traded to have the time to do it.
You will be surprised how fast the day goes. It will be closing and if you are like me you will NOT want to leave.

I've only been once (Last Christmas eve) and did the dolphin swim. It was amazing! I had once done the dolphin expirience at Sea World in San Diego, but it was still great! :D
BUT! I would have done DC even without the dolphin swim, and if I ever come back, I don't think I would splurge for the dolphin swim. It is only like 1 hour top that you use for the swim, and there is so much to see and do - so I actually don't think you'll miss it ;)
Discovery Cove is amazing! You get a day in paradise!

We did the dolphin swim our first time and this time we are going to do the deep sea dive thing (though our 9 year old can't do it due to a regulation about her age and compressed air) and no one seems to mind about not doing it. I think they just enjoy the park.

Absolutely! There's still many fun things to do,my family still loves to talk about our trip in 2005. Have a great time!

We did the dolphin swim last year and we are going back to DC this year and not doing the swim. We plan to do it on alternating years at this point. We love the snorkeling so will just spend extra time petting rays

We just got back from our first visit to DC and didn't do the dolphin swim. We loved DC and there was so much to do that we didn't even think twice about not swimming with the dolphins. You can easily see the dolphin area and you can swim with fish and rays in the reef so I didn't feel like we were "missing out". We fed the dolphins at SW a few days later(for $7 a person) and that was awesome. They come right up to you and let you pet them and we got some great pictures doing this. I felt like this was a good alternative. Hope that helps!

Absolutely. We went last year and did do the dolphin swim, but we aren't planning on doing it again on our upcoming trip. it's neat but it also takes up a lot of time. My kids (boys, 6, 8, 10) all liked other stuff better (Grand Reef was the big hit for the two older boys, little guy was ok with that but crazy about the lazy river, and making sand villages at the edge of the grand reef with other boys his age...their villages were cursed though - lots of horribly destructive hurricanes blew through).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter