Would you rather: week of Xmas OR week after New Year's?

SugarSweetLee

Mouseketeer
Right now we are booked for our honeymoon (! :D) for the longest stay we have ever done - 6 park day and 7 nights split stay CSR/Swan for December 18-25.

With the resort discounts that were just released, however, now I'm wondering if we should do a stay Jan 3-9 instead. We'd save some on the resort (and/or be able to upgrade), and crowds might be lighter - but park hours will likely be shorter, and all the holiday decorations and festivities will be coming down/over.

Which would you pick?

Eeeee...that's tough, but I would probably do 1/3-1/9, especially if park hopping is allowed.

I'm so torn. I wish I knew if hopping would be enabled by then. Honestly, I just don't see how they can integrate it in any reasonable way with the park reservation system though. I guess that's why I don't earn the big bucks :)

Right now we are booked for our honeymoon (! :D) for the longest stay we have ever done - 6 park day and 7 nights split stay CSR/Swan for December 18-25.

With the resort discounts that were just released, however, now I'm wondering if we should do a stay Jan 3-9 instead. We'd save some on the resort (and/or be able to upgrade), and crowds might be lighter - but park hours will likely be shorter, and all the holiday decorations and festivities will be coming down/over.

Which would you pick?
Hands down January over Christmas. You may still see some Christmas decor and given the lighter decorating this year, no castle lights, etc, I don’t think you’ll miss much. Lighter crowds anyday over Christmas week and if you’re able to upgrade your resort, that’s just a bonus.

I'd move it to January. Less people. We did Christmas at MK and New Years at EPCOT once and never again... Congratulations!

I just returned from fall break week, the busiest week so far since reopening, and the crowds/lines were terrible. Disney is simply not doing a good job of dispersing crowds with so many things shut down and the limited ride capacity. Christmas week will be a million times worse. You should go in Jan if you want a more relaxed trip, plus the bonus of saving money!

Another vote for Jan. I will take smaller crowds at this time. And any chance for park hopping is better than no chance in my book.

Have a great time!

Deb

Thanks everyone!

I talked to the hubs and we decided to go with January! Staying in the same resorts, but we save about $200 (ended up paying higher than our previous rate for Jan 2 because it's not included in any deals AND had to make two separate reservations for the same place, grumble), and I'm excited that we'll hopefully be able to catch the first day of Festival of the Arts before we leave! Crossed fingers that Splash doesn't get closed for refurbishment while we're there. Would certainly be nice if hopping is reintroduced by then, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now to wait for a million hours on the phone to switch our ticket dates over...

We've never been to Disney during the Christmas/New Years holidays mainly because of the crowds we've heard about. We did go last January 4th to the 11th and had a great trip. Christmas decorations were still up even though it didn't feel as festive as it would have a week earlier. I'd go with the week after New Years.

JANUARY!!! While I love Christmas, the crowds are just too much.

Yeah, we got convinced to switch! I'm getting more excited about it now - I would have love to enjoy the decorations and such, but I think it will be for the best - plus the Festival of Arts starts on our final park day! :)

I would go in Jan. You will likely still get to see the christmas decorations and you will experience lower crowds, which to me would win over longer park hours. The longer park hours is only necessary because of the higher crowds. The shorter park hours will also force you to relax and enjoy your resort or other WDW activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter