Would you rather...

... get X (ie 50) points now or wait 2 years until you can purchase 3X (ie 150) all at once?

• Now

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • Wait

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
Thought it would be interesting to see what people would think about this question. As we see at times people come in with the idea that they need X number of points but possibly are not able to afford them up front in cash and think about financing instead. This is NOT about if you would finance or not.

Benefit of getting it now is being able to start leveraging your own contract for a shorter vacation and possibly getting transfer points.
Downside of getting it now is higher resale price (5-15% premium) for smaller contracts and higher potential of misaligned anniversary month.

So if you went back before you owned which would it be?

Now would give you "insider view" to the reservation process and patterns. You could visit a couple properties and see if DVC is really a good fit for that larger commitment. Also, as you said, you could transfer points in and control your own reservations.

I like the smaller now. I am one of those that like to pay cash. I don’t like paying $100s in interest for a vacation.

I agree I like the smaller contract now and add on later. You get a taste of the whole thing with a smaller investment and then you will have a better understanding of what you actually will want/need in terms of the add on contract.

I voted now. I would bank and borrow/buy a few points from Disney and or transfer for a few years. I get to understand the system. I get a feel of the expense involved - dues/vacation. I get the opportunity to save and add a few more points down the road.

Interesting question! I voted Wait because I feel like 50 points wouldn’t give us enough to do much, and I would rather just rent points in that case. But PP all make really good points about starting small now!

If you can use the points, I'd answer is now. For one thing, you are better off with 3 50 pointers than 1 150 pointer for resale value. (I know, no one ever plans on selling - yet a robust resale community exists) 2. You can learn the system, even if you rent them out. 3. There is likely to be 1 if not 2 price increases before you buy all 150. 4. Buying 50 now, bank and borrow can give you an extra vacation in the time period before you hit 150 - and I dont get enough vacations, so an extra one is appealing :)

Looking back over history, the price increases are close to what the yearly dues are. So, its like the use of your first 50 points only costs you the usage of the capital. the price increases will come close to washing out what you pay in dues.

Now. Not only do you get to start in DVC, especially if it replaces some of your planned cash vacations, but also prevent risking only points, if you are buying resale, that could have further restrictions.

Interesting question! I voted Wait because I feel like 50 points wouldn’t give us enough to do much, and I would rather just rent points in that case. But PP all make really good points about starting small now!
No reason you couldn't do both! You could buy 50 and rent additional, or rent all and rent out your 50.

It must have been too early, or my reading comprehension is not so good.

Seeing you are talking resale, I change to wait with dependencies.

Depends on the resort. Just took a quick look at SSR - 50 pointers seem to be right at asking of 120. 150 pointer, around 100, so the small contract premium looks to be higher that 15%. Poly 50's 164ish, 150s - 146 - so over 10 percent.

If I were buying at a small resort, I would wait. Too few small contracts out there, and too much to line up use years. Same for older resorts. Newer resorts being as pricey as they are seem to produce more smaller contracts - So newer or bigger resorts could swing it to a yes since I think it would be easier to get same UY.

Beach club a decent size, and I see 3 contracts under 100 points listed currently.

Buying direct - knowing what I know now, I would not buy 150 points as one contract, but as 3 50's anyway, Id buy and add on.

I would do it now.

It only keeps getting more expensive. If you wait and buy 150 later you will pay more PP for all 150.

I would do it now.

It only keeps getting more expensive. If you wait and buy 150 later you will pay more PP for all 150.
IF 50 pointers matching your UY are hard to find and you have to go direct for the last 50, you will end up paying more PP than waiting. However, if such contracts are someone easy to come by, then I agree, buy now.

Just assuming you can get 50 points at a certain resort for a certain UY may be a very big assumption. You could have a very hard time finding one depending on UY and resort.

We looked into DVC multiple times since it's inception in the 90's and didn't pull the trigger until we were already going on multiple trips annually. Once we realized that we could stay at the walk-able location (BL/BC/BW) for the same cost as staying at the moderates we bought. So while we always wanted to join we waited until we were really going to use the membership effectively for the point total they were always telling us were the minimum ('92/240-'99 or '01/190-'08/160).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter