• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you share your opinions about your own travel scooter, please

I'm feeling better about it all. Your hints at the Land Pavillon are wonderful.

Since you are going again and with all your experience on this topic, I would appreciate hints in all the parks. I know I'm asking a lot, but I truly appreciate all the help.

I will have my hands full with pushing a wheelchair and having two others in a scooter with me. I need to find out as much as possible ahead of our trip.

Thanks again.

I'm starting to think it would be great to recharge while watching Beauty and the Beast, Festival of the Lion King, etc.

Does anyone have experience charging a scooter in these instances?

I'm afraid I know nothing about these - I just don't do shows and never go to Animal Kingdom. My best advice is to look around, I'm sure there are outlets you can plug into close to the parking areas. Just make sure that people can walk from where their scooters are parked to their seats.

We bought my mom a Travelscoot. My brother is an airline employee and he didn't want to struggle with the bigger and heavier scooters on planes, in rental cars and whatnot.

We also sprang for the lithium-ion battery. The whole thing is under 35 pounds. Mom loves it. She finds it quite comfortable and very easy to maneuver. The one thing you have to be careful about is going downhill. It's more like a bike when going downhill, so Mom breaks and one of us usually helps hold the Travelscoot back so she can go slower.

She used it all over WDW last September. Once, the battery did run out at Epcot -- but that is because we realized we didn't charge it the night before, so we started out with less than 1/2 power. I would not recommend that, although the Travelscoot is so light, it wasn't a problem to get it back to the car. (Of course, not only didn't we charge the battery, but we didn't bring the charger with us. Truly absent-minded!)

I was very concerned about security since it doesn't have a key. WDW is well set up, however, for using an ECV in stores, in lines and restaurants, etc. So, Mom was parking and leaving it far less often than I anticipated. Also, if she did have to park it, the lithium-ion battery is so small and light we simply took the battery with us. It fit easily in my shoulder bag.

The Travelscoot is a good choice if you have some mobility but tire easily and can't walk very far. It doesn't have reverse, but that isn't a problem if you have some mobility.

We think the plusses of a scooter we can fold up and check at the plane door and that one person can lift in and out of a car trunk outweigh any of its shortcomings.

I appreciate your report on the travelscoot. I'm hoping in the future the travelscoot will be improved upon even if you have to give up some on the weight of it. We want reverse capabilities and we definitely want a lock key arrangement. Travelscoot does serve a good purpose, none the less. I think that this scooter would be ideal for cruising vacations. I'm glad you pointed out about the downhill ride of it. I don't think there's another lithium ion scooter around yet, but it does make this scooter rather pricey with it. You can't beat the travelscoot for ease and convenience. Glad your mom liked it.

My man wants something more substantial. I won't buy until August; so, I am still deciding about it.

How did your mom like the travelscoot when she was just sitting in it like watching a show, etc? Did you get her baskets for the scooter?

I'm getting closer to buying one. I'm just checking one more time to see if you would share your own experience owning an ECV and whether you like the one you bought.

We purchased this last year(pride mobility elite traveller plus) for my then 12 year old son. We were in Florida for a month and Disney World for three weeks. One battery did us all day and we were out late at night. We took a spare battery just incase and this year we are leaving it home.

This gives my son independence. He hates using his wheechair. I found it tiring after hot days in the parks too. Pushing it for 18 days the year before almost killed me!

My DS grew out of wheelchair and his occupational therapist recommened the scooter. My son doesn't always need the scooter. He has endurance issues caused from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis of his ankles and feet and surgery for it, that further weakened muscles. There is no way he could pound the pavement for hours at Disney! He also has cystic fibrosis which tires him out especially when he is in an excirbation of his disease...

This scooter breaks down easily. It took less space in the trunk of my car then my son's wheelchair with the push handles. It broke down easier and went together easier then the wheelchair and is much lighter....

My son's scooter came with a big basket in back and a smaller basket up front and an extra battery (OT's request and insurance agreed) This is so good for carrying his medical equipment and cameras and such. The scooter changes colors too. The panels and fenders all come off and you can change them form silver to blue to red or mix the colors! He loves this and his favorite is the silver! His friends think it is kool and love trying it out (Sneak it, when mom isn't around) It boosted his self esteem.

We have had this almost a year. My son loves it and so do I!

Charleyann:santa:

We purchased this last year(pride mobility elite traveller plus) for my then 12 year old son. We were in Florida for a month and Disney World for three weeks. One battery did us all day and we were out late at night. We took a spare battery just incase and this year we are leaving it home.

This gives my son independence. He hates using his wheechair. I found it tiring after hot days in the parks too. Pushing it for 18 days the year before almost killed me!

My DS grew out of wheelchair and his occupational therapist recommened the scooter. My son doesn't always need the scooter. He has endurance issues caused from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis of his ankles and feet and surgery for it, that further weakened muscles. There is no way he could pound the pavement for hours at Disney! He also has cystic fibrosis which tires him out especially when he is in an excirbation of his disease...

This scooter breaks down easily. It took less space in the trunk of my car then my son's wheelchair with the push handles. It broke down easier and went together easier then the wheelchair and is much lighter....

My son's scooter came with a big basket in back and a smaller basket up front and an extra battery (OT's request and insurance agreed) This is so good for carrying his medical equipment and cameras and such. The scooter changes colors too. The panels and fenders all come off and you can change them form silver to blue to red or mix the colors! He loves this and his favorite is the silver! His friends think it is kool and love trying it out (Sneak it, when mom isn't around) It boosted his self esteem.

We have had this almost a year. My son loves it and so do I!

Charleyann:santa:

Thank-you. I was especially happy to hear about the distance you got out of one battery charge. It does make a difference on weight of the person; the heavier you are the less the battery will go on one charge.

I too have Pride's Go-Go Traveler Elite Plus which has a carrying weight of up to 300 lbs. I have used it all day at Disney with no problem with the battery lasting ( I am no light weight either). I used it recently at our area Balloonfestival and I was using it on grass and dirt. It handled this just fine too.

I too have Pride's Go-Go Traveler Elite Plus which has a carrying weight of up to 300 lbs. I have used it all day at Disney with no problem with the battery lasting ( I am no light weight either). I used it recently at our area Balloonfestival and I was using it on grass and dirt. It handled this just fine too.

Aren't they great little scooters? Does yours change colors too? We had a lot of compliment from the bus drivers at Disney because of their compact size.

Charleyann

I think this is the one. I'm impressed with the comments.

I've never ordered on internet for this high of a price item; so, I just want to make sure.

I went to a local merchant that carries Pride scooters and they want $600 more than what I can get on internet. Also, I get three freebies with my internet order: a flag, cover, and cup holder. I can't see even bargaining with my local merchant; the spread is too far away.

I think this is the one. I'm impressed with the comments.

I've never ordered on internet for this high of a price item; so, I just want to make sure.

I went to a local merchant that carries Pride scooters and they want $600 more than what I can get on internet. Also, I get three freebies with my internet order: a flag, cover, and cup holder. I can't see even bargaining with my local merchant; the spread is too far away.

This scooter comes in three or four wheels. Occupational therapist recommended the four wheels because it adds better stability. My son has long legs for a 13 year old. He says the base of the three wheeler is short and prefers the length of the 4 wheel base. Just thought I'd mention that...

Charleyann

I like more stability. Also, I think it's a better fit for someone larger and taller, etc.

It's one thing to rent a scooter once in a while and another if you;re buying one and planning to use it a lot.

Thanks again.

Yeah I think they are great! Mine came with 3 colors (I prefer the red). I got a lot of comments about it being tiny and easy to manuever too. That was good especially since when I went to rent a car, I asked that they send a bus that had a lift to come and get us. They did send a lift bus but, the lift didn't work. We were able to just lift it up the steps and into the bus. We did the same at the rental place. Worked out great.

Don't bother with the cup holder. I would get a different option. I got the cup holder with mine and it is very cheaply made. Mine broke the first time I tried to use it. I got a bit to close to something at Seaworld and the thing shattered. There wasn't any fix to it at all. I would suggest something else.

Thanks for the tip about D.C. and the subways! My hubby and I are going there at the end of July and I'll be using my TravelScoot on the subway.

I just don't understand human nature though. Why on earth would anyone pee in an elevator? ARGH

We loved DC! It was pretty scooter friendly. You can take an elevator up to see the Lincoln Memorial. This was my favorite site.

The subway entrances and exits that are accessible are not always near the regular entrances/exits. This was a pain. We learned that people like to pee in the subway elevators! :scared1: My kids were not pleased with that.

All of the museums were easily navigated. We live about 3 1/2 hours away from DC and plan on traveling there at least year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter