• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you spend Christmas at WDW?

PoohBWV

<font color=green>Moderator<br><font color=red>Pro
I'm thinking about a 2003 Christmas trip, but can't decide if I would miss the traditional Christmas at home. What are your thoughts?

My parents alternate Christmas visits with us and with my sister (who lives in Yellowknife). Last year we hosted them, so the 6 of us spent 5 days at Boardwalk from December 23-28. (We also invited my sister, but they declined. The fools. :D )

We stayed in a 2BR, and upon arrival we picked up a turkey and other groceries at Publix. Christmas day was rather cool and rainy, but we had a wonderful Christmas dinner that afternoon. (Plus the hallway smelled great. Maybe that's why all the CMs were hanging around. :) ) We watched the Candlelight Processional the night before to get us into the Christmas spirit, and brought down most of our presents with us (we drove) to open in Orlando. It was a memorable trip, most of all for my parents who hadn't been to WDW since before Epcot opened.

Would we do it again? Not on your life. We stayed for an extra 3 days at WL after my parents flew back to Regina, and although the crowds weren't bad while mum and dad were there, all h3ll broke loose on the 28th. The parks were packed with people. Rides with 15 minute waits on the 24th were up to 2 hr waits on the 29th & 30th (although FastPass helped). Plus the points used for a 5-day 2BR BWV stay (we're DVC members) would give us 2 weeks in an OKW studio in January.

It's kinda like shingling a roof. It was interesting to do once, but I'm not sure I'd ever to it again. ;)

- Mike

We did it once when I was a teenager it was nice but not something I would necessary rush to do again. I think a better time to go down would be before Xmas to see all the decorations, do Mickeys Xmas party, Candlelight procession then get out of there before the crowds come!!!!

allison

We would miss family too much to spend Xmas in WDW. We used to alternate Xmas between my family who lives 5 hours away an dh's family. Once the kids came along, we opted to stay put. I don't get to see my family at Xmas as it is and it hurts. So to not have dh's family ~ WOW ~ my heart would break. It is a lovely romantic thought, but I'd miss the snow too! S

We have never done this but it would be nice for once Christmas as it is just a nice change!

I did it as well as a teenager (about 100years ago!). It was OK but would not do it again, nothing like Xmas at home with family!

We debated last Christmas whether to go down for the entire 2 weeks over the holidays as Dh had it off as well as the kids. In the end we decided to leave Boxing Day so we could still have our traditional Christmas Day dinner with my family here and then spend NY's at EPCOT. I'm glad to have spent some of the holidays at WDW, but as Mike said, it's so very busy, I'm not sure if I'd go down again that time of year either.

Was talking with some of the reps at the Florida Travel Show and they said that it is very hectic, the crowds are horrible, etc., etc., and for the cost better to go before to see the decorations, etc. If money is no object and you don't mind the crowds, go for it.

just my 2 cents worth!

Scratch
:smooth:

We are planning a trip in December 2003.We plan to be there the week before Christmas and stay until Boxing Day.I figure it wont be as busy and we will be heading out just as the crowds are heading in.Although I may miss the traditional Christmas,I am looking forward to experiencing Christmas WDW style.We have been in December (the first week)so it will be a slower pace and we will get done what we really want to see before the crowds heat up.I cant wait.

The year I worked at the Canada pavillon my parents, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins and grandpa all came to Florida and it was magical.

DH and I definitely want to do this again maybe with our own children. I would either go before Xmas and return on the 26th or 27th or wait and go after New Years. The week between is the most crowded and it is insane but no one does the holidays like WDW.

Like dsnygirl said, "no one does the holidays like Disney". We did it in '99 for the millenium and again last year. We've already booked for Xmas 2003. We want to go every other year. Yes the crowds are bad but we get there early and leave at noon and do the pool at OKW and eat in. Then we go back in the evening to Magic Kingdom when the younger kids have left. DS is 15 and DD 13 so we dont pull them out of school anymore so our only choices are Christmas and March Break. Both our families live within an hour of us so we see plenty of each other all year ;) so every other Christmas away isn't too bad. ;) We've been doing Disney for Christmas and then the cruise for New Years Eve, so we spend the whole 2 weeks down there. MK is such an innocent place to spend Christmas Eve, we love it even if we do miss the snow.
Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter