• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you still parent?

livndisney

DIS Veteran
I just returned from a sensory friendly movie at AMC. I have to say AMC did a great job! They had a manager in the theater at the beginning to make sure the sound and lights were ok. He left and the movie began.

There were about 40-50 people in the theater. Several children were doing their own thing with no problems. But one child was running thru the theater getting in the faces of others, stealing their snacks etc. A couple of the parents asked the childs mom to "do something". To which she replied "it's ok he can do those things this is a sensory friendly showing".

I completely understand sensory children do not always do what we want them to do, but was it unreasonable to expect the mom to stop chatting with her friend and retrive her child? Or is the expectation at sensory friendly events that the children can do what ever?

A sensory friendly environment doesn't mean you can let a child run amok. You and the other parents were not being unreasonable to expect the mom to deal with her child. Letting a child maybe walk a little in the aisleways if they are having trouble sitting still is one thing. Letting a child run around, get in others' faces, and steal snacks is another. That is completely unacceptable.

I have heard that there can be children who are very disruptive to others during the sensory friendly movies so we have passed on this. My DS with Classic Autism would get very angry if the lights weren't turned down in the movie and if other people were talking, yelling, walking about, etc. If is one thing to be able to make noises once in a while during a moive but it is another if the child is truly disruptive. Just MHO. :cool2:

You're right. "Sensory friendly" doesn't mean "anything goes." It's meant to make going to the movies possible for kids who can't handle the high volume and dark atmosphere of a regular movie theater. My son who has Asperger's has always done well at the movies so we've never been to a sensory friendly showing. I would expect kids to be there who couldn't sit still for the whole movie. As long as they wandered in the aisles rather than continually back and forth in front of people I think it would be fine. In terms of coming right up to people and taking their food, that's not OK. Parents need to continue to watch their kids and ensure they're not bothering others even in an environment that's meant to address their needs.

That was the interesting thing, there were several children who were not sitting. But they were not disruptive (if that makes any sense). Even the child in front of me who kept changing seats and talking, was not creating an issue. Her parents would tell her to sit and did not allow her to disburb others.

Aside from the one parent, I would say the Sensory movie is really a good idea. I just wanted to make sure I had the right expectation.

Thank you for the opinions.

I agree with the other posters.
I would not expect all the people to be completely quiet or staying seated because some may not be able to. But, running, getting in other guests' faces and stealing food are way more than I would expect.

I agree with the other posters.
I would not expect all the people to be completely quiet or staying seated because some may not be able to. But, running, getting in other guests' faces and stealing food are way more than I would expect.

I had no expectation that everyone would be quiet or even to stay seated. I understood going in that dancing and singing were encouraged.

I had no expectation that everyone would be quiet or even to stay seated. I understood going in that dancing and singing were encouraged.
Sounds like you had very realistic expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter