• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow, do I love VWL!!!

Synonymous

I know all about it, see?
We just got back from a quick, spur-of-the-moment trip to VWL. I made all the arrangements on 9/20 and we went for 9/28 to 9/30.

This was our second DVC stay since buying into BWV last year. The first time we were at BWV. I have to say, I like VWL much better and will try to stay there for most of our trips, I think.

The Villas are just beautiful, with amazing woodwork everywhere. I was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as the WL itself, but this is very true to the look and feel of the main lodge, although on a quieter, more secluded scale. The Villas seem like an upscale, private club version of the WL. The Iron Spike Room is so comfortable, I wish that I had more time to just hang out there with my book. The hardest part was tearing myself away from all my favorite cozy spots in the main lodge, but it was worth it.

We had a lock-off studio. The pictures on the DVC website don't do the decor justice. When looking at them, I thought the color schemes were garish and clashing. When you see it in person, though, the effect is very comfortable and attractive. Our room was 2509, and it would have had a great view of the quiet pool, if the pool hadn't been surrounded with fencing.

Now we have our longer trip in February to look forward to, when we get to try out a 1-bedroom for the first time.

Thanks for the report. We leave in 4 more days (Can hardly wait) and will also have a studio.
Glad you had a great time.

Tom:

I agree with you completely! :)

Dh and I bought sight-unseen and took ourselves over for a tour while we were at WDW last week, and just fell in love. You're right -- photos do NOT do it justice. So many people said it was dark...not in our opinion, not at all! It is lovely, peaceful....we just couldn't be more pleased!

In fact, we were so pleased that we came home and added 100 points to our membership! :D

Also just back from VWL and it was a lovely resort. With the weather turning cool like it did, you almost forget you are in Florida instead of some mountain retreat. However, I do believe that MEMBERship does not carry the clout that it once did when we first joined. See my thread on problems I had.

I agree. Pictures do not do the VWL justice.

Amy, we did the same thing you did. From our room, we called and added another 100 points on. It seemed the longer we were there, the less we wanted to leave. We have been back for a month and a day does not pass that we don't talk about it. The chocolate shakes at whispering canyon were a bonus!!!

Thank you, Tom, for posting your positive experiences. I'm taking my boyfriend for his first ever trip to WDW in January and was disappointed to find there was no availability at BWV for the week I wanted. I jumped on a 1-bedroom at WLV (no studios available!) and decided to continue calling in hopes of securing a BWV reservation. No more! I'll happily keep my WLV reservation, thanks to your glowing report. And having thought about it, sitting by the fire in the lobby on a cool January night just sounds perfect!

We bought sight unseen at VWL back in July. Our first trip won't be until May 2002. I'm always interested in what others have to say about Our "home". Glad you enjoyed it!

Sorcerer, I can't tell you how many times I gazed at all those wonderful fireplaces and regretted the 80-degree temperatures! My wife would kill me for saying this, but I hope we have some cool nights when we're there next February, so I can fully enjoy some warm fires.

Glad to hear people found my review useful. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Originally posted by Mickbee
Amy, we did the same thing you did. From our room, we called and added another 100 points on. It seemed the longer we were there, the less we wanted to leave. We have been back for a month and a day does not pass that we don't talk about it. The chocolate shakes at whispering canyon were a bonus!!!

Wonderful! And I can't believe we missed having those shakes -- we're definitely eating at Whispering Canyon next trip! Mmmm.....

While you were down there, were there fires going in the VWL? The fireplaces in the main lodge are always lit, but I'm not even sure if the fireplaces in the VWL are real!

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, you're right- there were fires in the main fireplace at the lodge, as well as at least one of the upstairs fireplaces, but I don't recall any at VWL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter