Wrist Bands at the pools?

Andrew015

WL Guru
Stayed at SSR last week and noticed that MagicBands were not required in order to gain entry into the pool gates. Anyone could walk up and access the pools (both main pool by the Carriage House and the quiet pools). While visiting WL and Poly, I gave the gates a try and they still required a MB from that resort to open the gates. Just today, Tikiman posted on his FB page that the Oasis pool at the Poly will no longer require a MB to gain access (but the Lava pool still does). Curious to know what's going on with the pool policy at the WDW resorts?

I believe I saw that they're relaxing the MB policy at some pools because it was making it difficult for emergency responders to get in.

I believe I saw that they're relaxing the MB policy at some pools because it was making it difficult for emergency responders to get in.

You could be right, but I find that reason difficult to believe. If that were the case, I would think it would be a sweeping change across property. They wouldn't "free up access" for first responders to gain access into certain pools but not others, IMO.

That seems plausible. Just surprised to see Disney relenting on their policy. Perhaps it's simply too difficult for them to enforce?

Yeah probably depends on the pool. I know at All-Star Sports in March there was no restrictions. I never went out to the Bay Lake Tower pool in January because it was 40-50 degrees most of the trip lol.

It probably just depends on the demand for certain pools. If a pool attracts a bunch of freeloaders who take away from the experience of paying guests, then they restrict access.

Yeah, I mean only the Deluxe Resorts really have pools that would be worth hopping to, so I get having some verification at the Lava Pool or Stormalong Bay, but is anyone really wanting to go hit the pools at All-Stars or Pop?

Saratoga had no restriction in Jan. 2017.

Beach Club did in Jan. 2016 but they would then give you a paper wristband so you didn't have to keep checking your magicband and likely since the slide is outside the main pool area.

Yeah, I mean only the Deluxe Resorts really have pools that would be worth hopping to, so I get having some verification at the Lava Pool or Stormalong Bay, but is anyone really wanting to go hit the pools at All-Stars or Pop?

What's the selection criteria? It's certainly not "resort", because as mentioned, the poly has two pools - one of which is restricting access, the other is not. At WL - both the main pool and quiet pool were restricting access, so it's not necessarily "demand" (although I do think it is A factor). And SSR, which is essentially a deluxe, was open-season at all pools. I just find it interesting, as Disney is usually very calculated and very cut/dry in their policies.

We were at Saratoga Springs last summer and there was a lot of people using the main Springs pool that were not guests.
I know not everyone wears magic bands but there were tons of people that did not have them on, yet at the other pools in the resort almost everyone had them. Someone was having a birthday party poolside with at least 30 people and none of them had a magic band. When you see many groups of people and none of them have a band you have to wonder how they are getting back in their room. My girls don't wear theirs a lot and my wife doesn't always wear hers but at least one of us has to have one to get in the room. Obviously they could put it in a bag or could have taken the Mickey pendant out and have it somewhere else but I doubt it.

What's the selection criteria? It's certainly not "resort", because as mentioned, the poly has two pools - one of which is restricting access, the other is not. At WL - both the main pool and quiet pool were restricting access, so it's not necessarily "demand" (although I do think it is A factor). And SSR, which is essentially a deluxe, was open-season at all pools. I just find it interesting, as Disney is usually very calculated and very cut/dry in their policies.
Might also be pools with a lifeguard (Poly lava) have less of the emergency responder entry problem since the lifeguard can let them in vs the Oasis pool without a lifeguard, plus the popularity issue.

We usually stay at Beach Club, and it's always been enforced there, because that's considered one of, if not the, best pool of the resorts. At Boardwalk on our last trip, anyone could get into the pool area. I actually saw a family walking to the Boardwalk pool in their swimsuits from the International Gateway. I'm not saying they were for sure pool hopping, but it definitely looked like it! So, IMO, Disney makes it their official policy that pools are for guests of that resort only, but they only enforce it in situations where a pool would likely become too crowded.

We usually stay at Beach Club, and it's always been enforced there, because that's considered one of, if not the, best pool of the resorts. At Boardwalk on our last trip, anyone could get into the pool area. I actually saw a family walking to the Boardwalk pool in their swimsuits from the International Gateway. I'm not saying they were for sure pool hopping, but it definitely looked like it! So, IMO, Disney makes it their official policy that pools are for guests of that resort only, but they only enforce it in situations where a pool would likely become too crowded.
thats not true for DVC members. They can pool hop to certain pools and Boardwalk is one that is open to DVC hopping.

The vast majority of Disney guests are not DVC members, though.
Very true, I was just pointing out that for a small number of guests, they could very well be pool hopping and within Disney's policies. No idea about the people you saw, obviously. I wasn't there :)

Very true, I was just pointing out that for a small number of guests, they could very well be pool hopping and within Disney's policies. No idea about the people you saw, obviously. I wasn't there :)
Yep, I certainly didn't ask them, so I don't know either! My point was more to the fact that when we were at BW, all the gates were open, no one checked anything, and literally anyone could have come in if they wanted to. On the other hand, last time I stayed at BC, only one entrance was available, and you had to get checked by a CM on your way in.

Yep, I certainly didn't ask them, so I don't know either! My point was more to the fact that when we were at BW, all the gates were open, no one checked anything, and literally anyone could have come in if they wanted to. On the other hand, last time I stayed at BC, only one entrance was available, and you had to get checked by a CM on your way in.
Back in March, the gates were closed at BWI and needed a band to get in. Which seems silly because we were literally the only people in the pool. Plus, how many people willingly want to go to that creepy clown pool! I get why Stormalong Bay needs bands, but the creepy clown?!

Maybe it’s because I’m inherently lazy but I don’t see the need to travel to another resort for a pool day when there’s a perfectly good pool wherever I’m staying. I get that not all pools are created equal, I just don’t think they’re so unequal that one would warrant traveling to it over using my resort’s pool. I might change my tune if Stormalong Bay opens up to pool hoppers, but only because I’ve never been.

Someone was having a birthday party poolside with at least 30 people and none of them had a magic band. When you see many groups of people and none of them have a band you have to wonder how they are getting back in their room.

I usually stay at Ft Wilderness, and they've had some major issues with locals taking over the pool area. I've watched local groups park up front and load up an internal fort bus a with a birthday cake and all sorts of supplies and head to the pool for a free Disney party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter