Writing MBA after your name.

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
Why? Im just curious why the humble brag? I came across a co worker who does it. Unless you have a job like a doctor why the need to say hey “ this is my name and guess what I went to college” Like I said I can understand a doctor or a ceo but a coordinator? Sorry had to vent. That’s all happy holidays.

It would never occur to me not to put my credentials in my email signature after my name, in my field it is common and expected. If I checked all of the emails that I received today, I would say that at least 95% of them would have name and credentials in their email signature, the others would be people that just don't have email signatures. Now, I wouldn't put this information in my personal correspondence.

As I have posted in other threads, in the last few weeks , I have discovered that a couple of our managers only have a High School Diploma. To their credit, they are better at their job that some of our managers with a Master Degree. Work ethic, and work experience in the REAL world are more important to me than a degree earned in the bubble of the world of academia.

I don’t do it, but have colleagues that do. I keep my professional signatures really, really minimal though.

I think it’s highly dependent on your field. If you’re in finance, for example, it kind of makes sense. I’ve only rarely seen such credentials in any industry in which I’ve worked, however. And frankly, it would come off as pompous in my current field where experience generally trumps education.

It's the norm in academia to put your educational or career level after your name in your email signature, but only in email. Instructors sign with "Their Name, Associate Professor," "Their Name, Distinguished Professor," or such. They don't need to include Ph.D after their name because it's assumed that any professor at a Research 1 university has a Ph.D. Grad students follow their name with "Doctoral Student, subject area" until they get their master's and then they add "M.A." before that. I'm one of the few students who has not put my educational level in my signature because I just can't get over feeling pretentious about it. But I plan to go into teaching when I'm done, so once I start looking for a position I'll have to add the Ph.D. to my name. No one ever uses these titles outside of email sigs though. That's beyond humble-bragging, that's downright obnoxious.

This thread makes me think of the Andy Griffith Show (anyone remember this or watch the reruns?), where Barney Fife signs his name with M.D. after it. When Andy questions this Barney says it stands for Mayberry Deputy.

At my old job people started doing about 6 months before I left. The one that confused the heck out of me was the executive that listed a Master's level course they took at a foreign university even though they took it years ago and never received a degree.

IT creates our signatures at my current job and it's just contact info. I'm perfectly content with that arrangement.

While I know many people who have MBA’s, the only person I know who actually puts it on his business cards, e-mail signature is the biggest leaker ever.

So, my thought on this has always been, show me you are smart by your actions-not by your pedigree.

in my field it is common and expected

Not sure what field that is, but I have never seen anyone do that in all my years of working. It seems more like someone wants to brag about an accomplishment and it means nothing to actually doing their job.

It seems a little extra, as the kids say these days. As a pp said, our IT creates our signature so everyone’s is the same.

Why does the "humble brag" bother you, OP? Why is it OK for a doctor, but not others? That person probably worked very hard for their MBA, and if they want to use that designation after their signature, more power to them. DW has her masters and she should be proud of it. As others have said, in many professions it's not only accepted, but sort of expected. I have several designations in my field, and I use them in my sig line. I don't get the outrage. :confused3

My father has a PhD in chemistry and only used it professionally at work and on papers when needed/required, but not on everything. He never talked about it and was genuinely uncomfortable when people would call him "Dr" if it wasn't related to work. He did research for years and shares a patent with a couple of other people, but he just never talked about it. He's 81 now and retired.

MBA's are becoming a dime a dozen now. I've only seen it on resumes and professional papers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter