Writing MBA after your name.

See, even this person chooses to use credentials behind their name.:p
I am also in a field that uses credentials behind the names in professional instances, it is mandatory.

That said, IMO there is nothing wrong with using your credentials in the work situation. It sets a standard and shows recognized accomplishment. People work very hard to get their education and they should be proud of themselves; getting a college degree isn't easy (even online degrees are a lot of work).
I am certainly not saying that everyone with a degree does a better job, we have all seen that is not always the case.

They are not meaning to brag, not sure why someone would think that. They should be appreciated and respected for what they have accomplished.
If the degree designations do not mean anything and are a dime a dozen, why doesn't every one have one? :flower1:

Time & place. I want to know my CPA is a CPA.

I don’t care that the guy who installed my cable has a masters (he does). And I’d chuckle if I saw it on his business card.

Likewise, if my CPA was also an ASE Certified mechanic, I wouldn’t care to see that in their signature. But, I do appreciate seeing it from my mechanic.

See, even this person chooses to use credentials behind their name.:p
I am also in a field that uses credentials behind the names in professional instances, it is mandatory.

That said, IMO there is nothing wrong with using your credentials in the work situation. It sets a standard and shows recognized accomplishment. People work very hard to get their education and they should be proud of themselves; getting a college degree isn't easy (even online degrees are a lot of work).
I am certainly not saying that everyone with a degree does a better job, we have all seen that is not always the case.

They are not meaning to brag, not sure why someone would think that. They should be appreciated and respected for what they have accomplished.
If the degree designations do not mean anything and are a dime a dozen, why doesn't every one have one? :flower1:
At the same time I highly doubt anyone cared that I had a B.A. in psychology at the insurance company call center :flower3:

We did however have our work title listed. When I left I was a Senior Service Advocate (though the other common title was Underwriter) so in my professional e-mails they preferred that people have their work title. But my degree meant nothing at that point. On the other hand to people who were licensed Underwriters yes they would put their licensing infomation. Originally my rank was called Underwriters but because we weren't licensed as ones they went away from that title. I was defacto licensed to make changes on customer's policies through the insurance agent because the insurance agent was licensed. True licensed Underwriters at the insurance company I worked at were called Account Underwriters.

So I guess credentials maybe depends on who you're talking to and the context. My work title mattered at the insurance company, my college degree did not. And in that case my work title was my credentials but it was strictly what the insurance company considered skills and responsibilities assigned to that title. Me calling myself a Senior Service Advocate meant nothing to anyone outside of the specified insurance company.

It's never been my personal preference (and I have an MBA as well as a CPA), but yeah, I see it all the time around here (I work at a community college). In fact, one of my staff puts every single initial she has on her e-mail signature (her signature says, and I quote, Ed.D., MBA, C.P.M.. It's pretty obnoxious, IMO.

Oh so she has three degrees in petty bureaucracy. Nice.

As I have posted in other threads, in the last few weeks , I have discovered that a couple of our managers only have a High School Diploma. To their credit, they are better at their job that some of our managers with a Master Degree. Work ethic, and work experience in the REAL world are more important to me than a degree earned in the bubble of the world of academia.
Totally agree:thumbsup2

Where I work some people use titles and others don't. It doesn't affect me one way or another, and some people struggle really hard for their degrees, so more power to them.

I just checked all my work emails, and yes all of my colleagues that have degrees and designations related to their position have it listed next to their names along with their title underneath their name. For instance the Controller here has his CPA and CGA next to his name as does the head accountant in the tax department. My personal email account, nothing.

I don't have an advanced degree but if I did I'd probably use it in a professional setting for sure. Be proud of all that hard work.

Time & place. I want to know my CPA is a CPA.

I don’t care that the guy who installed my cable has a masters (he does). And I’d chuckle if I saw it on his business card.

Likewise, if my CPA was also an ASE Certified mechanic, I wouldn’t care to see that in their signature. But, I do appreciate seeing it from my mechanic.

Agree, but a subjective choice. I would think having a well educated mechanic and all of the skills that go with completing an advanced education would be a benefit to no matter what position they choose. This is a extreme example, as you know but I like your example of each end of the spectrum. :flower1:

Nurse here with an MBA and a professional certification (CMPE). And yes, I list my credentials on my work email and my business card. And no, it’s not bragging, it’s stating my credentials.

That is so strange. I've never ever seen that. I have an MBA and I have never listed it anywhere except on my resume.

Same here. I don't even understand the need to put it in an email signature. Am I more likely to do business with someone because they put MBA in their signature? Not likely. Actually I'd be rather turned off.

Nurse here with an MBA and a professional certification (CMPE). And yes, I list my credentials on my work email and my business card. And no, it’s not bragging, it’s stating my credentials.

So why not also list your high school diploma and bachelors degree? Those are credentials as well.

So why not also list your high school diploma and bachelors degree? Those are credentials as well.
In my field (healthcare), neither my diploma nor my undergrad degree necessarily indicate my credentials, they are expected.

Professional designations seem different to me than degrees. I kind of need to know if you're a real doctor, accountant etc. The thing about the MBA that sort of strikes me as odd is that it just isn't that impressive--even if you're in a position where everyone has an MBA, I guess especially if you are. It kind of makes me think less of them, there's just something about being inappropriately proud of certain things. I have never even considered putting any of my degrees in my email signature.

Professional designations seem different to me than degrees. I kind of need to know if you're a real doctor, accountant etc. The thing about the MBA that sort of strikes me as odd is that it just isn't that impressive--even if you're in a position where everyone has an MBA, I guess especially if you are. It kind of makes me think less of them, there's just something about being inappropriately proud of certain things. I have never even considered putting any of my degrees in my email signature.

Have to agree with you. It would never even occur to me to list an MBA in my signature. It's not as if I expect someone to immediately do business with me because they see I have an MBA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter