Writing on magic bands?

la79al

DIS Veteran
My 4 year is my most likely child to get separated from me. She is also most likely to not speak to someone trying to help her. Does anyone know if I can write my phone number on her magic band and train her to show someone? Or even edit her magic band to have my phone number instead of her name?

At that age we used safety tats - temporary tattoos with our phone numbers on it. Some kids don't like wearing a magic band, they can come off etc. But the tattoo stayed for a few days even with swimming and we would just take it off and put on a new one.

We use business cards that we put in our kids pockets with instructions to give them to a cast member in case they get lost. Maybe you could buy her a "necklace" (lanyard) and include your contact info in there.

My 4 year is my most likely child to get separated from me. She is also most likely to not speak to someone trying to help her. Does anyone know if I can write my phone number on her magic band and train her to show someone? Or even edit her magic band to have my phone number instead of her name?

Either, I think.

You can definitely write on Magic Bands with Sharpie - and paint, and nail polish... There's a whole tread somewhere about decorating them.

ETA: Here it is!

And I know you can edit your name (some people don't like to have their actual names on them, and use movie characters, etc.) - but I don't know for sure whether you can use numbers, and aren't they on the inside anyway?

When DS was little (pre Magic Bands) I think we attached a tag to his shoe lace.

Last edited:

Thats not a bad idea, i was disappointed that Disney didnt add a way to let cast members scan there bands... if they can keep there tickets and credit card info they so should have let us put in case of emergancy info.
Maybe you can look into decals. We use them to decorate the bands they dont come off.

We ordered on amazon a cute kiddie-themed ID bracelet. What I liked about it was that it was a child proof latch, so not easy to take off.

We bought a couple of child sized silicone bracelets that were made with both my husband's and my cell phone numbers on them. First time our youngest was 3 and she had to wear around her ankle but used them several times over the years.

Thank you to the OP for this question. I will be traveling with my brother's family and my nephew is autistic so I was looking for ideas that we can use at Disney. I know my brother has some things already in place when to help him in case he is separated from them anywhere but I am the Disney planner for our group and they have never been to Disney so I saw this thread and thought I might get some ideas from you all we can add to what they already do. I think the temporary tattoos and the child proof ID bracelet might be good ideas. I will need to check them out.

At that age we used safety tats - temporary tattoos with our phone numbers on it. Some kids don't like wearing a magic band, they can come off etc. But the tattoo stayed for a few days even with swimming and we would just take it off and put on a new one.
We ordered on amazon a cute kiddie-themed ID bracelet. What I liked about it was that it was a child proof latch, so not easy to take off.

We had lanyards (with pins for the kids to trade) and put contact info on a paper in the clear plastic card holder. We would also make sure we snapped a pic of each kiddo each day so if they DID get wander off from us (which never happened) we would have an exact clothing description. The only issue with lanyards is that the kids would inevitably get tired of wearing them, they were taken off for some of the rides, etc.

Our first trip, I got id anklets, one of which was lost the first day on the plane ride. Last time, I wrote my phone number on my kids' stomachs with a Sharpie. If you spray it with hairspray after it dries, it lasts for several days. No risk of it falling off or getting lost, and less expensive than temporary tattoos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter