Written Aids on Attractions?

BudgieMama

DIS Veteran
In discussion tonight about the GMR, I confessed I wouldn't be sad to see it go (if that is announced at D23) as I've only ever heard about 25% of the dialogue due to the set up. I have problems processing sound, and due to the set up and volume levels, I just can't hear most of what is said. It occurred to me Disney might actually have a way of helping with that.

It seems like they have a Handheld Captioning device I could use for the day, but it's genuinely the only ride I've needed it on, and as they're listed as first come, first served, I wouldn't want to take away the option for someone who would need it all day.

It says Written Aids are available on most rides and attractions. Does anyone know if GMR is included in the "most" and if the written aid will give me a better gist of what the heck is being said? Or do I need to opt for Handheld Captioning?

Thanks for any help in advance!

I think the written aid is so someone that uses ASL to talk with a CM. YOU do not have to have the hand half device all day but return it after you ride the GMR

Also, have you tried asking to sit in the front row? Being that close to the CM, you might be able to hear their normal voice as they're speaking into the headset. Make sense? I can't say that will work for yiu, but it might be worth a try.

Also, have you tried asking to sit in the front row? Being that close to the CM, you might be able to hear their normal voice as they're speaking into the headset. Make sense? I can't say that will work for yiu, but it might be worth a try.

or you could ask for the second row the first row you are next to the CM, if you can read people lips ( some) the CM for the most part will turn around when they are taking and being in the second row, all the way in side the CM is right infant of you, just something else to think about.

Thanks, gap. For some reason I thought the guide is in a little bump-out in front of the front row.

Thanks, gap. For some reason I thought the guide is in a little bump-out in front of the front row.
there is no guide in the front of the ride car. I sit in the front row and never notice anything. but like the PP said sitting in the front or second row where you can see the CM lips move might help with what they are saying some but I would just go to GR and ask for the hand held device and return it when done with the ride.

I just read that Great Movie Ride is closing permanently on August 13, 2017 according to an announcement at D23. So, if your trip is after that, you are out of luck.
If it's still open, the only listed accommodation for hearing is handheld captioning. Since the 2015 update adding Turner Classic Movies to the attraction, the majority of the talking is prerecorded. There are a few parts where the driver talks, but most is recorded.

I don't know if a video would help, but there are a number on YouTube. This one seemed to show everything and the person recording was near the front, but the sound still isn't the clearest:

Here's another:

I would take the device and give it back after you've done that ride. If they run out and someone else needs it, they'll be happily surprised that one is available later in the day.

The rather sudden closure date negates all this, but thank you! :) We don't arrive until 15th August!

Yes, that CM is the [tour] guide. The Ride is a tour through the movies. Tours have guides. Hence referring to that specific CM as "the guide."
Yes this is what I meant been on this ride a number of times I guess auto correct changed and my hands not typing as fast as my brain works, but what I meant to type was, "move where you can see the CM lips move" to what was typed. But it dose not matter now that the ride is going away :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!