WWoS expansion

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Disney must have thought some good news for some is at hand. ;)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ibsys/20040304/lo_wkmg/2035741

Disney Expands Wide World Of Sports
WKMG MyCFNow.com

Walt Disney World officials announced Thursday that they will expand the resort's Wide World of Sports complex, according to Local 6 News.

The complex, which is already the world's largest multi-sport facility for amateurs will grow to 220 acres with the new addition. The new facility will be named Hess Sports Fields for the petroleum company Amerada Hess Corp.

The addition will combine four baseball diamonds with other fields.

The Wide World of Sports complex already has an indoor arena, softball, tennis and track and field complexes and houses Cracker Jack Stadium where the Atlanta Braves' hold spring training games.

There are an estimated 170 events a year at Wide World of Sports.

There are expanding it? I got this impression this place has always been something of a flop. I know I have never been there nor has anyone I've ever talked to about it. Has anyone here ever gone to WWOS?

We've been there, mostly just drove all around it. Unless you want to eat at the All Star Cafe or you are involved in one of the numerous sporting activities there really isn't much reason to go there.

We have also just been there a couple of times to just look around. Never saw anything going on. In fact every time we have been there, it was more like a ghost town. Kind of reminds me of that dumb_ _s race track over by the MK. I guess there are people there when events are going on. I was also under the impression that it never was a really big money maker for Disney. But what do I know? I'm not a sports fan. :rolleyes: :eek:

We have been there only for the marathon/race expo/packet pick-ups.
Living fairly close to everything at WDW these last few months I have noticed how much more activity there is at WWoS than I realized.
And it is just down the street from Pop Century.
My guess with PC, they will use WWoS more.
But like you, I was under the impression WWoS pretty much was a flop. :confused:
I wondered if the Disney spin will just throw out anything that sounds remotely positive, including expensions, openings and renovations.
They gotta grasp at straws to display some magic right now. ;)

ohh -- and that (uhem) race track in front of MK. ;)
Again, now that I go to MK often and drive, I often hear the cars racing around the tracks.
It is getting so now I notice it when I don't hear the race cars.

Several years back, I attended a conference in Orlando. For a reception one night they rented out part of WWOS and had food as well as some sports-like games for people to play.

My main impression of the place was that it's purpose is more to bring visitors to WDW by hosting events/tournaments there, rather than to be an attraction for visitors already coming to WDW to see. In other words, serving a function more like a convention/conference hall rather than an amusement park.

Another tibit I'd read was that the purpose of the AS resorts was to keep families on property rather then on I-192 when they were at WDW for the purpose of watching their kids perform at WWoS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter