WWYD: First Date Planning/Strategy at WDW

ShadeDK

Permanently Staying in Room 237
There are a number of threads about planning engagements, weddings, reunions, anniversaries and all sorts of things - but one I haven't seen is this: how would someone plan a first date at the parks and what would they do? What are things that might make that magical? Attractions, rides, restaurants, activities - what would you do (or want to do) if it was you?

Here's the hypothetical (and some ground "rules") to help: it's not a blind date - let's say two people meet on the Dis and get to know each other on the phone first; they both like Disney and will be at WDW at the same time; there are no practical restrictions (assume park hoppers, no issues with ADRs or rides, any time of day is open). So let's hear it: what would you do?

Hmmm. Start with extra morning magic. Practically empty Fantasyland would be an awesome start to the date. Then spend the rest of the morning in Magic Kingdom hitting up all the classics. Nothing like riding Dumbo with someone. Lunch at Cinderella's Castle, because PRINCESSES (and eating in the castle)! Hop to DHS for some RNRC and TOT because studies show being afraid together creates bonding. Then share some laughs at a YeeHaw Bob show because laughing together is another bonding moment. And since you are already at Port Orleans, how about a romantic carriage ride? Then end the night with a late dinner at California Grill and watch the fireworks from the observation deck.

That would be a super full day, but it would be so awesome. Only problem is no date would live up to it ever again! So maybe better to do just one of the things on my list and save some magic for the second date! :rotfl2:

I think I would handle it as any other first date and schedule it so there is potential for an "out" if things aren't going well. Going into a park in the morning or mid-day and touring for multiple hours could be problematic if you find you aren't compatible or you're really not having fun. I think, personally, I would book a reasonably-priced dinner somewhere on the Boardwalk (I would probably consider Trattoria, bluezoo or Kimono's) around 6 pm and then enjoy the Boardwalk entertainment. Perhaps consider wandering into EP for Illuminations (or consider booking TS inside EP - again, something reasonable and relatively quiet - Spice Road Table, Rose and Crown, Chefs, La Hacienda, Tokyo Dining, etc., wandering WS, maybe ride a ride and watch Illuminations.) This automatically makes the date about 3 hours long (if it's going well, you could always head to a lounge at an EP resort, JellyRolls or Atlantic Dance Hall and plan to meet up again for something longer). If it isn't going well, it's dinner, walk, Illuminations, good night.

That would be a super full day, but it would be so awesome. Only problem is no date would live up to it ever again! So maybe better to do just one of the things on my list and save some magic for the second date! :rotfl2:
Good point - there's something to managing expectations. Maybe one of the "ground rules" should be that the day isn't too perfect so that at the end you don't throw up your hands, agree you've done it all and it's best to leave it at that. As a jaded romantic, however, I have to believe that there's a nice middle ground between a perfect day at WDW and a candlelit dinner over a sticky table at Waffle House. You don't want it so spectacular that you find yourself complaining that there's no 24-hour Chapel o' Love in the base of the castle.

Flowers delivered by Minnie in private meet-and-greet; VIP tour all day through the MK; rent the Grand 1 for a private cruise; finish at V&A. Not cheap but you didn't put a budget limit and it's a sure-fire way to get, um....a "fast pass" in your suite at the GF. :-)

Does it start by meeting in a park, or as a PP suggested with dinner and perhaps Epcot/Illuminations?

Are you going to pick this person up at their resort? Meet there? Lots of factors....

I have a friend whose first date with her boyfriend was at Disneyland. And they live in WA. They've been together about 6 months and just went on a Disney cruise and wdw trip with their respective kids and a couple of her relatives. Pretty cool.

I would say Jelly Rolls or at disney springs dinner. Then if all goes well move to meeting at the parks the next day. I met someone this way after talking on the boards first, then phone calls.
This was several years ago and we still keep in touch today.

Trader Sam's would be a lot of fun for a first day. You could spend a late afternoon in the MK, monorail over to the Poly, maybe get a drink at Trader Sam's then get some sushi at the place next to Kona. For some reason, I associate romance a lot with Hawaiian/Polynesian decor lol.

Wow, some of the suggestions here sure are....interesting. :rolleyes2

I'd probably do something simpler like dinner at either the boardwalk or disney springs. Disney Springs would be more fun if you want to take a walk afterwards.

There are a number of threads about planning engagements, weddings, reunions, anniversaries and all sorts of things - but one I haven't seen is this: how would someone plan a first date at the parks and what would they do? What are things that might make that magical? Attractions, rides, restaurants, activities - what would you do (or want to do) if it was you?

Here's the hypothetical (and some ground "rules") to help: it's not a blind date - let's say two people meet on the Dis and get to know each other on the phone first; they both like Disney and will be at WDW at the same time; there are no practical restrictions (assume park hoppers, no issues with ADRs or rides, any time of day is open). So let's hear it: what would you do?
I literally was just now browsing Mousemingle (don't judge) and thinking how fun a first date at WDW would be.

I'd go super casual, just meet up and see where the day leads. Get in a few lengthy stand-by lines. You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle waiting in line. Plus, it gives plenty of time to chat and get to know one another. If you make it through the wait and the ride and still like each other enough, carry on to the next adventure. If it's an excruciating experience, part ways after the ride and continue on with your day at Disney.

Based on personal experience, I would recommend dinner at either Artists Point or Jiko. Those are the two most romantic restaurants I have eaten in IMO. I have eaten at California Grill, which some would include on the romantic list, liked it very much, and plan to eat there again, but I think the other two had a more romantic atmosphere. Bistro de Paris was close on the romantic list, but alas it is no more. I cannot speak for Victoria & Alberts, as I have never eaten there.

If I was the girl in question, I would like a relaxing evening visit to the MK, perhaps with dinner at BOG and a fireworks dessert party with garden viewing.. Nothing more magical than a first date ending in fireworks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter