WWYD -- Noisy Nurses at the Next Table

Wow.... even this thread has to go political. Alllll righty then.....

I am sorry, but having a different viewpoint or opinion than myself is a human right and freedom of speech. No matter how much some folks wish that all of the sudden the others viewpoints should be censored. No matter how easily and unnecessarily offended and angry others can be. Nobody should have to censor their conversation with their friend/family just because a bystander might not approve. The very suggestion, as mentioned here, (even with the disclaimer of 'I really wouldn't do anything about it') makes me shake my head.

We have really come to the point where political correctness has taken over and run totally amok, so that one can not say ANYTHING that such one-sided and tender ears can not even bear to hear.
Wow.....

That is a completely and totally different thing than discussing something, like human excrement, while other people are eating, like was described in the original post.
That is totally and completely against any basic common respect.
That is just GROSS.

And, I also do not have a favorable opinion of anyone who thinks it is a good thing to 'get a kick' out of purposefully making others uncomfortable.
Especially when it comes to eating and feeding one's body.

Whoa!! Where did this come from? Did a post get deleted or something?

I'm curious, and maybe because it's because I've watched too much TV doctor's shows, but if a medical professional DOES get something on their scrubs/clothes, can they get a replacement set easily in a hospital setting? Or do they keep an extra set in a locker "just in case"?
We have scrub exchange machines - one in, one out.

Sometimes people don't realize that they are talking to loud. Or that being a nurse they just have gotten used to seeing that and then eating. I don't think most people are trying to be rude or do it on purpose. I probably would have just moved to a different table. Where I used to work I have seen pretty nasty stuff, and most people would not think where I work that the issue could happen there. I will spare everyone in here.

Happy Valentines day!!

Nurses are taught to be sensitive with patient information, and I'd say most are. But some people are just LOUD!

This reminds me of the night I was attempting to eat a salad at the desk when my quadriplegic patient called to ask me to pick his nose. Yup, pick his nose. What else could I do but help him out (with a cotton swab). I then went back and somewhat reluctantly finished my meal.

This is what we deal with, lol. So we do sort of become immune to it.

WWID? Probably make a joke about having to clean up vomit soon if they didn't tone it down or something like that, being sure to let them know I "get" their discussion, but that not everyone in the place should hear about it. I think if done in a friendly tone from a fellow nurse it probably would go over ok. Just a gentle reminder.

It is really important for nurses to let off steam with eachother, or they won't be able to do their jobs for very long, as it's incredibly stressful day after day. They really can't do it at work.

Truth be told, I am also feeling a little badly for people with colostomies (and other things) right now reading this thread. Some of the language used here (gross, disgusting, etc.) I imagine would make them feel pretty awful about themselves. It's hard enough to have to get one. Someone in our family has one and sometimes you can hear it gurgling or the smell is rough, but we never make them feel bad about it. I guess some here wouldn't be able to eat with us, but we're used to it, and we care about the person who has it and dont want them to feel bad.

Pea-n-me, I couldn't read past the first sentence of your second paragraph. lol

Makes sense. I had no idea that was a thing. Just goes to prove, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.
Yeah. So no one's ever going to walk around with soiled scrubs when it's so easy to get fresh ones.

People may be seeing people walk around before their shifts, too, and not realize it. Lots of people work nights.

Yeah. So no one's ever going to walk around with soiled scrubs when it's so easy to get fresh ones.

People may be seeing people walk around before their shifts, too, and not realize it. Lots of people work nights.

I'm just trying to process the idea of someone put off by grocery shopping or eating lunch in the same restaurant with someone in scrubs, yet has no idea they're grocery shopping or eating in a restaurant with someone in street clothes who just came from visiting a very sick person at the hospital. Not much difference in my mind.

I'm just trying to process the idea of someone put off by grocery shopping or eating lunch in the same restaurant with someone in scrubs, yet has no idea they're grocery shopping or eating in a restaurant with someone in street clothes who just came from visiting a very sick person at the hospital. Not much difference in my mind.
Yeah. Or people changing babies' diapers or kids' accidents, or coming from a dog park, etc.

My mom is a retired nurse as are several of her friends.
Nurses talk about all kinds of medical things over meals.
Sounds like since you easily recognize terms it probably caught your ear more.
It doesn't bother me a bit. If it did I'd just try to ignore it. People can talk about whatever they please.
Oddly enough when I was young and at my mom's work often for about a month because my grandma had a stroke and was a patient there until she passed and actually was on my mom's floor I'd have lunch at the cafeteria with my mom and her fellow dr's and nurses and the only conversation I can recall clearly is one that a gay dr was having with them about lettuce lol.

I agree. I'm an RN and I used to forget when talking about nurse things at the dinner table. The kids/hubby usually went "Ewww!" and I'd suddenly realize that what I said was not appropriate for non medical people at the table. LOL! I honestly didn't have a clue until the family told me!
So, we don't mean to do this intentionally but it's normal talk with nurses and it helps us wind down after a stressfull day.

Ok but what if you were talking about your baby next to someone going thru infertility? What if it was someone who was in debt and you were discussing your vacation it goes on and on. I would never tell someone what they can and cannot discuss at their meal

Agreed. And as it is Valentine's Day, I have a PSA (public service announcement). Would you please not post on Facebook how much you love your significant other? It makes us widows feel really really really bad. That is all. Thank you.

What does this have to do with colostomies at the dinner table? DH was in the medical field. I'd love colostomy talk at the dinner table.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm an RN and I used to forget when talking about nurse things at the dinner table. The kids/hubby usually went "Ewww!" and I'd suddenly realize that what I said was not appropriate for non medical people at the table. LOL! I honestly didn't have a clue until the family told me!
So, we don't mean to do this intentionally but it's normal talk with nurses and it helps us wind down after a stressfull day.
I can understand coworkers discussing their day. I have no problem with people getting graphic. I just can’t help getting grossed out by it. I’m not trying to censor anyone.

My teacher friends and I say things in the teachers lounge that would shock anyone listening in. We curse and vent our frustrations and can get pretty obnoxious. Those of us that might go out after school speak freely without much thought to who might be listening.

The one thing I try to be aware of is swearing in places where children are. I am sure that my mouth has offended someone at some point. I know I slipped here using a word that I didn’t consider a bad word, but apparently it was, and I got called out on it. No big deal.

Someone is always listening. It’s up to you whether or not you care about that.

Nurses are taught to be sensitive with patient information, and I'd say most are. But some people are just LOUD!

This reminds me of the night I was attempting to eat a salad at the desk when my quadriplegic patient called to ask me to pick his nose. Yup, pick his nose. What else could I do but help him out (with a cotton swab). I then went back and somewhat reluctantly finished my meal.

This is what we deal with, lol. So we do sort of become immune to it.

WWID? Probably make a joke about having to clean up vomit soon if they didn't tone it down or something like that, being sure to let them know I "get" their discussion, but that not everyone in the place should hear about it. I think if done in a friendly tone from a fellow nurse it probably would go over ok. Just a gentle reminder.

It is really important for nurses to let off steam with eachother, or they won't be able to do their jobs for very long, as it's incredibly stressful day after day. They really can't do it at work.

Truth be told, I am also feeling a little badly for people with colostomies (and other things) right now reading this thread. Some of the language used here (gross, disgusting, etc.) I imagine would make them feel pretty awful about themselves. It's hard enough to have to get one. Someone in our family has one and sometimes you can hear it gurgling or the smell is rough, but we never make them feel bad about it. I guess some here wouldn't be able to eat with us, but we're used to it, and we care about the person who has it and dont want them to feel bad.

I always have the utmost respect for you and what you post, so I totally get what you are saying in the bolded.

I used both words - disgusting and gross. Because it IS disgusting and gross to listen to nurses (or anyone, for that matter) sitting around a table at a restaurant talking about the ins and out details of changing a full colostomy bag. This does not reflect on the poor person who needs to use one in the least.

Now, if the person who *is* using it is a loved one and chooses to regale us with the details of what they have to do with it AT THE DINNER TABLE, I would still love them, but also find it disgusting and gross that they are sharing those details while we are eating. The smell and gurgling isn't their fault, but them choosing to deep-dive into the subject as a means to a conversation would definitely make me wonder if they really understand that while we love them and support them, there is a time and place for everything. The dinner table is not it. IMO.

DH and I used to own an In-Home Senior Care and Assistance business. We have seen and dealt with some really unsavory issues with our clients. But we don't talk about it while we are sitting around eating tacos or Sunday Family Dinner. We respect the people around us too much to do that to them. Another example is a lady I work with. She is in the middle of potty-training her kids. She has zero problem talking loudly to her friend so the entire room can hear her, about the consistency and smell of her child's bowel movements. Do I blame the kid? Of course not. Do I wonder where his mother's sense of decorum and professionalism in a business setting lies? You bet I do!

To each their own, I guess. I think talking about this kind of stuff at a table or in a formal setting is gross, but I guess there are enough people out there who don't really care! I just put my headphones in and try to ignore my work lady, or I'd lean in closer to my own tablemates and concentrate on not listening to the other patrons lol

DH and I used to own an In-Home Senior Care and Assistance business. We have seen and dealt with some really unsavory issues with our clients. But we don't talk about it while we are sitting around eating tacos or Sunday Family Dinner. We respect the people around us too much to do that to them. Another example is a lady I work with. She is in the middle of potty-training her kids. She has zero problem talking loudly to her friend so the entire room can hear her, about the consistency and smell of her child's bowel movements. Do I blame the kid? Of course not. Do I wonder where his mother's sense of decorum and professionalism in a business setting lies? You bet I do!
The issue is knowing your intended audience and (possibly) thinking about the UNINTENDED audience. I bet you if you would have asked the nurses in the OP, they had no idea they were speaking loud enough for neighboring tables to hear, and would have preferred other tables NOT hearing. Some people (and I am one) are just loud talkers. It's not that we're trying to ruin or interfere with others, we simply don't realize we're doing it.

I have a weak stomach. I would have been forced to push my food away & ask for the check. If I was at the restaurant & seated next to them again, I'd ask to be moved.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter