• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD re: AKV purchase?

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
WE currently have 100 SSR points and have used all of 2006/2007 Dec UY with this year's planned stays.

We LOVE, and I mean ADORE, AKL. Don't care about views, we just love being there.

The original plan was to buy 50 points at AKV, but with the new price/points speculation, I'm thinking about just buying 150 points at AKV and selling the SSR. I'm a little antsy about the MF over time w/ AKV, but being able to book AKV for when we want to travel could be priceless.

What to do, what to do???

I've been considering the same thing. I love AKL, but right now I'm not so sure about buying there and then selling SSR.

I'd have to consider what I paid for my SSR contract, deduct the points already rented out (or used). Consider the different in the life of each contract. Calculate the possible earnings (after commission) of selling my contract at SSR, etc....

I definately have much to think about, but I don't plan to jump the gun and rush to get in as soon as sales open.

I might buy AKV with the idea of eventually selling SSR. This has been my tactic anyway, keeping the newer rersorts and dumping the old ones. This will help reduce the loss or evn give you a chance to make money.

If people keep OKW, BCV, BWV for another ten years or so they will be worth far less IMO. How much will a RTU contract be worth with half of the 50 years left? Half would seem reasonable. Why wait ? Sell the older resorts now when the price is high and buy back in at the newer resorts.

Now SSR?????? I see no distinct advantage to owning there other than the longer term. I don't care if you love the place it still makes little sense beyond the extra years. The place is so big and has no special categories of rooms or views to directly book. You can get in there at 7 months basically any time of the year with maybe Christmas being the one exception.

Now AKV although large when completed has distinct booking categories that make the 11 month advantage very valuable. If you want the concierge level rooms you will need the 11 month booking advantage. That in itself makes owning AKV more appealing to me. Also I don't believe for a second that AKV will have significantly higher AD than the other resorts. We are talking 30 - 50 cents a point more maybe. Greenban posted something like $4.63 a point or so. That isn't enough to scare me away.

My plan is to buy AKV, buy the next offering and then dump SSR. I'll continue to "trade up" for ther foreseebale future when the contracts of the older properties get into a positive stuation for me. I paid $84 dollars for SSR so when resales of that resort are above that I'll likely sell. That will likley be soon enough, a year or so. I made money off of my recent sales and I plan to do the same with these new additions.

It can be done.

If I decide to buy I will most likely sell my SSR. Of course there is a strong case to be made for selling my OKW points.... decisions, decisions. OKW points were purchased for some VERY low cost so the profit is there, but I think I would have to pay a lot in capital gains tax. My SSR might be easier to sell as I have one of the desired 50 point contracts and 1 100 pointed. (Small sells fast LOL!)

I agree with Dumbo, the booking advantage at 11 months is going to be key ESPECIALLY for "non peak" concerige rooms. I don't know how many we get, but figure day by day is going to be a must here!

My BCV points are non-negoiable they stay! LOL!

I'm a firm believer in buying where you want to stay. If nothing else, it removes a lot of hassles and uncertainty.

You could do both a 50 point add-on, then get another 100 points once you sell your SSR contract. Not sure you'd even break even right now though. The resale price on SSR is not so far off from the best deals DVC gave recently and there are closing costs to pay.

Now for me: I'm a SSR lover so while I may be tempted to add-on something small at AKV, I prefer to just wait and transfer in at the 7 month mark. Like you, I like the place but don't much care about the views. And since it is pretty much safari 24/7 without anything else in walking distance, I can't see myself being happy there for the entirety of my stay. FWIW, I also suspect the novelty of AKV will wear off pretty quickly for DVCers, especially once they encounter the bussing delays and remoteness of the resort. This is what has hurt the CRO attendance already. If that's true, staying at AKV won't be as big a problem as feared. Certainly not like BWV and BCV experience in F&WF or VWL sees at Christmas. The resort will have a substantially higher number of rooms (400+ which is 2-3x what the smaller ones have and more on par with OKW & SSR).

. FWIW, I also suspect the novelty of AKV will wear off pretty quickly for DVCers, especially once they encounter the bussing delays and remoteness of the resort. This is what has hurt the CRO attendance already. If that's true, staying at AKV won't be as big a problem as feared. Certainly not like BWV and BCV experience in F&WF or VWL sees at Christmas. The resort will have a substantially higher number of rooms (400+ which is 2-3x what the smaller ones have and more on par with OKW & SSR).

Um... I am a long time DVC member. The novelty of AKL has NEVER worn off. I love it and actually have a hard time dragging myself off to the park. I have also felt like the transportation there is much better then the transporatation at the Epcot resorts.

The novelty of AKL has NEVER worn off. I love it and actually have a hard time dragging myself off to the park. I have also felt like the transportation there is much better then the transporatation at the Epcot resorts.

I SO agree with this! It is, hands down, our family's favorite place on earth besides home.

I might buy AKV with the idea of eventually selling SSR. This has been my tactic anyway, keeping the newer rersorts and dumping the old ones. This will help reduce the loss or evn give you a chance to make money.

If people keep OKW, BCV, BWV for another ten years or so they will be worth far less IMO. How much will a RTU contract be worth with half of the 50 years left? Half would seem reasonable. Why wait ? Sell the older resorts now when the price is high and buy back in at the newer resorts.

Now SSR?????? I see no distinct advantage to owning there other than the longer term. I don't care if you love the place it still makes little sense beyond the extra years. The place is so big and has no special categories of rooms or views to directly book. You can get in there at 7 months basically any time of the year with maybe Christmas being the one exception.

Now AKV although large when completed has distinct booking categories that make the 11 month advantage very valuable. If you want the concierge level rooms you will need the 11 month booking advantage. That in itself makes owning AKV more appealing to me. Also I don't believe for a second that AKV will have significantly higher AD than the other resorts. We are talking 30 - 50 cents a point more maybe. Greenban posted something like $4.63 a point or so. That isn't enough to scare me away.

My plan is to buy AKV, buy the next offering and then dump SSR. I'll continue to "trade up" for ther foreseebale future when the contracts of the older properties get into a positive stuation for me. I paid $84 dollars for SSR so when resales of that resort are above that I'll likely sell. That will likley be soon enough, a year or so. I made money off of my recent sales and I plan to do the same with these new additions.

It can be done.

I think financially that this makes a lot of sense. While OKW is my favorite resort, and I still plan on retiring there (fully), I will not buy and more OKW, VWL, BCV, VB and BWV points as I already have enough. (Sorry Tom and Jason). But, I may suprise myself and disappoint my wife by living to 100 (2060), so I too plan to buy longer lasting points, mostly AKL and CRV and GC (When and if they arise.)

If DVD continues to develope new properties (as I suspect they will). I may start to sell some oldies but goodies, so that I can purchase more 'extended life' properties.

One thing is clear, what I don't buy from TTS, will be in 25 & 50 point groups, like my 5, 50 pointers for AKL. I feel these smaller packages will continue to command better resale prices into the future, and more importantly, they will be easier to will to my kids than my 1156 point OKW contract.

I will continue to purchase SSR & one day AKL from TTS when triples arrive, as I still need a little more than 2,000 DVC points to complete my retirement goals.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahhahaha Points, I need more points! Igor, go get me some fresh points!

-Tony

Um... I am a long time DVC member. The novelty of AKL has NEVER worn off. I love it and actually have a hard time dragging myself off to the park. I have also felt like the transportation there is much better then the transporatation at the Epcot resorts.

I also am in complete agreement with this. We could happily hang out at the resort and not see a park for several days. The resort offers such unique activities, in addition to all of those amazing views! We also love talking with the CM's around the Savannahs and hearing about the animals as well as their home countries. In addition, it is the home of our all time favorite WDW restaurant, Boma! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter