• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD? re: renting a scooter

RysMomma

DIS Veteran
So, long story short-my dad has been using a walker for the past year or so. We are just starting our planning process for next summer's big trip to Disney (I'm VERY obsessed with Disney and love the planning process involved. By the time we go, it'll be five years since my last trip and that's the longest I've ever gone without being there!) Anyway, this is my dad's first time going to Disney needing the use of a scooter to get him around. We are trying to hash out the best idea. I'm thinking that renting one from an outside company and having it delivered is the best idea, however, his concern is getting it in and out of the rental car (we are renting a car, not relying on Disney transportation). He doesn't use a scooter at home, so this will be his first time and we have no idea how heavy they are or how much of a nuisance this will be. He was thinking of wanting to rent one through the parks, but I'm worried about how he'd get from the parking lot to the entrance of the park especially since he would not be able to fit on the trams. Plus, I just did some reading and found that you can't take the scooters from park to park, and since we're going to get park hoppers, there's not guarantee he'd get one at the later at a different park.

So, my question is this: How heavy are the scooters? My brother and husband will be with us the whole time-will they be able to lift the scooter in the car a few times a day or are we day dreaming? Any advice or thoughts is welcomed! Thanks so much!

The weight of the scooter depends on his weight if he is under 175 pounds the scooters are not heavy and come apart in several pieces usually they pieces are under 40 pounds there is a section on scooters in the stickies at the top of the landing page for the disabilities board

Thanks for this info! He's definitely NOT under 175 pounds. He's a big guy. Thanks again!

Thanks for this info! He's definitely NOT under 175 pounds. He's a big guy. Thanks again!

In that case, you would do much better to use Disney transportation. He would need a larger scooter, but getting them on and off the buses, monorails, and boats is not a problem at all.

we have rented scooters for my dad, and he isn't small. we got him a heavy duty one from walker mobility. which delivered to our off property resort. we rented a car, made sure I got atleast a mid size car or suv. you can check with the rental company as to what kind of car would work. this worked so well for us each time. I have no complaints. the scooter broke apart to load. the heaviest part was carrying the batteries into the room for charging. but wasn't that bad. the last time he rented a park scooter, he had trouble getting from handicap parking into park. sometimes you would find a wheel chair, but not always. I liked having his own, he was able to use it at all the parks and when we went to the outlets. he easily took it on the ferry and monorail. because we were off property, he didn't need to use buses, but I have seen people use them on buses ok. the weekly rental was cheaper than daily.

My mom is about 6' tall and around 230lbs. We always rent her the Go Go Elite ECV from Apple Scooters. As a 54 y/o woman and about 5'6", I have no trouble taking the ECV apart and putting it in the trunk of a midsize car several times a day.

The heaviest parts are the batteries and motor, but even those are not that heavy. I was worried about it the first time, but they come with instructions with pictures showing exactly how to take them apart. Basically pull the front basket off, then pull the seat straight up and off, lock the front tiller, loosen then lower it to the deck and lock it back, pull the batteries straight up, grab the little handle that attaches the motor to the deck and pull it up and away, then finally place the deck in the trunk. Well that sounds time consuming, but really it's not. My mom moves a little slow and by the time she gets in the car and gets the GPS out, I can have the ECV in the trunk. It probably takes less than a minute.

My personal ECV is a Victory 10 (Pride) and it comes apart easily. I personally cannot lift as I have shoulder weakness and lifting a jug of milk is difficult. But my size 10 (57 year old) sister can lift the pieces with no difficulty. Usually, the heaviest piece weighs less than 40 lbs. Mine comes apart and goes back together quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter