WWYD? Riv or Vgf add-on

The combo of RIV and VGF resale doesn't make much sense to me. You can't ever use the resale at RIV, and if you are traveling peak, you can't use the RIV at VGF. This forces a split stay, or it's two different stays? Either way, what a hassle. Unless you are trying for the split stay?

VGF resale, or SSR resale to make the points stretch, or selling all the resale and going RIV, makes more sense to me.

I'd offer a few bucks more on the resale VGF, since it sounds like exactly what you want. I wouldn't let a couple hundred bucks mess all that up.

Last edited:
We are new owners and recently purchased 130 VGF resale. With the borrowing restrictions currently in place we are thinking we’d like 40-50 more points. We have an offer in on a 50 pt VGF that matches our use year but there are multiple offers so who knows what will happen there. We also visited RIV (didn’t stay there but pretty much saw it all) last spring and really love it. Since we’re looking at a small contract we aren’t terribly concerned about resale restrictions but it is a bit higher cost initially and dues are higher. Do you think we are better off adding on VGF since the contract is exactly what we want or would you diversify and get the small RIV contract so that we are able to stay there sometimes (or future resorts!) ? Keep waivering back and forth and curious what you experts would do!!!
I was facing the same decision and went with doing a small direct at Riv. Have already done one split stay and have plans for another.

The combo of RIV and VGF resale doesn't make much sense to me. You can't ever use the resale at RIV, and if you are traveling peak, you can't use the RIV at VGF. This forces a split stay, or it's two different stays? Either way, what a hassle. Unless you are trying for the split stay?

VGF resale, or SSR resale to make the points stretch, or selling all the resale and going RIV, makes more sense to me.

I'd offer a few bucks more on the resale VGF, since it sounds like exactly what you want. I wouldn't let a couple hundred bucks mess all that up.
I agree with this.

I would buy VGF resale. If you want to stay at VGF, the extra resale points will continue to give you booking advantage. Time has also shown that VGF is an asset that has grown in value. We are not sure if that will be true with RIV. And, as you pointed out, RIV member fees are through the roof.

But... why not buy cheaper points resale? Like SSR or POLY? Both have low member fees. Will you always stay at VGF? If yes, buy VGF. If not, buy other less expensive points. But I personally think RIV is a fools game. We looked at it seriously too. But it is too much of a departure for us, too many unknowns about long term value and long term cost of MFs at this point.

I would buy VGF resale. If you want to stay at VGF, the extra resale points will continue to give you booking advantage. Time has also shown that VGF is an asset that has grown in value. We are not sure if that will be true with RIV. And, as you pointed out, RIV member fees are through the roof.

But... why not buy cheaper points resale? Like SSR or POLY? Both have low member fees. Will you always stay at VGF? If yes, buy VGF. If not, buy other less expensive points. But I personally think RIV is a fools game. We looked at it seriously too. But it is too much of a departure for us, too many unknowns about long term value and long term cost of MFs at this point.
We really like Riv and want to stay there which is why we are considering buying...not overly concerned with long term value since it would be only 50 points. We would like to have the option to stay VGF and also are looking at length of contract as one of our considerations which knocked out purchasing many “cheaper” home resorts

I had the same dilemma regarding AKV resale vs. RIV direct. I wanted to buy AKV resale but just couldn’t stand the idea of not being able to stay at RIV. So I bought RIV direct and feel happy with my decision!

We really like Riv and want to stay there which is why we are considering buying...not overly concerned with long term value since it would be only 50 points. We would like to have the option to stay VGF and also are looking at length of contract as one of our considerations which knocked out purchasing many “cheaper” home resorts
If you really like RIV and want to stay there, it makes sense to buy there and to do so now before Disney raises direct prices again. (Not sure when they will, but they always do, and they certainly will before DL Tower goes on sale).

This decision now doesn’t need to be a forever decision either. You can add more direct RIV later. You could add more VGF resale later. You could sell this 50 point and buy a different one.

You could admittedly buy VGF direct if you wanted to be able to have the option of more points for VGF some years and RIV others, though admittedly that’s significantly more upfront cost than buying 50 RIV.

If you really like RIV and want to stay there, it makes sense to buy there and to do so now before Disney raises direct prices again. (Not sure when they will, but they always do, and they certainly will before DL Tower goes on sale).

This decision now doesn’t need to be a forever decision either. You can add more direct RIV later. You could add more VGF resale later. You could sell this 50 point and buy a different one.

You could admittedly buy VGF direct if you wanted to be able to have the option of more points for VGF some years and RIV others, though admittedly that’s significantly more upfront cost than buying 50 RIV.
Thanks, good points! I think we will wait to see if we get the VGF resale we have an offer in on and if we don’t get it probably go for one of the direct options...we change our minds on what to do every hour haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!