WWYD -- why are families so stressful?? (long, sorry)

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
My mom passed away last week. We had the funeral this past weekend, out of town (in my hometown). My childhood friend who lives out of state donated a $75 gift certificate to a local pizzeria to my family, to help us with the stress of feeding everyone during the weekend. When I mentioned this to my brothers, they seemed greatly uninterested (and neither one of them could even remember my friend, since they're quite a bit older than I am, and one even mentioned that it seemed like a weird "gift").

We didn't end up using the gift certificate. We were there for two nights; on the first night, my aunt & uncle took us out to dinner, and on the second, we all went to an Irish pub for dinner, in honor of my mom.

We came home yesterday, and I called my friend to tell her that we ended up not using the gift certificate, and that I felt terrible about it. She said that she wasn't bothered at all, and had just wanted to make sure we were covered if we needed the meal, and that she would call the pizzeria manager and take care of it today. Since this pizzeria is not a chain, my older brother and I could not use the gc in our current towns. However, my oldest brother still lives in my hometown. And this is where the fun starts.

My oldest brother emailed my other brother and me today, saying that the pizzeria manager called him and reminded him about the gift certificate (small town, they're old friends). And NOW, my oldest brother wants it (he writes, "I don't mind telling you that I could use it"). Of course he does!! He wants to use it to get pizza for himself and his trashy garage band (a bunch of wannabes in their 50s and 60s who smoke an drink their lives away while convincing themselves that they could have been famous). He does not have a family. He has a job. He has more money than I do (a single mom with two daughters and college loans!).

This gc was given to our FAMILY by MY friend to help with food during the FUNERAL WEEKEND.

I emailed my brother back and told him that I'd already contacted my friend and that she is going to cancel the gc, but just hasn't done it yet. He emailed back and told me I was selfish, and so was my friend. The other brother, typical middle child, trying to keep the peace, wants me to relent and let him use it.

Should I really contact my friend? And if so, what the heck do I say? "Oh, don't bother canceling that gift certificate, my brother wants to use your thoughtful gift to feed his garage band."

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

I would tell your brother that since you already contacted your friend, it just wouldn't be right to contact her again since the intent was for the family to use it while you were there. I don't think the amount of money he has is at issue here, but the fact that you were offered a meal during the weekend that no one was able to use. The time has passed, and so has the offer. Maybe you can reply that it's unfortunate that he thinks you are being selfish, and leave it at that. I don't think you owe him any other reasons than the ones you made.

What you did was not selfish, and his accusation does not make sense to me, but sounds like he's trying to make you feel guilty (rather uncool of him).

My mom passed away last week. We had the funeral this past weekend, out of town (in my hometown). My childhood friend who lives out of state donated a $75 gift certificate to a local pizzeria to my family, to help us with the stress of feeding everyone during the weekend. When I mentioned this to my brothers, they seemed greatly uninterested (and neither one of them could even remember my friend, since they're quite a bit older than I am, and one even mentioned that it seemed like a weird "gift").

We didn't end up using the gift certificate. We were there for two nights; on the first night, my aunt & uncle took us out to dinner, and on the second, we all went to an Irish pub for dinner, in honor of my mom.

We came home yesterday, and I called my friend to tell her that we ended up not using the gift certificate, and that I felt terrible about it. She said that she wasn't bothered at all, and had just wanted to make sure we were covered if we needed the meal, and that she would call the pizzeria manager and take care of it today. Since this pizzeria is not a chain, my older brother and I could not use the gc in our current towns. However, my oldest brother still lives in my hometown. And this is where the fun starts.

My oldest brother emailed my other brother and me today, saying that the pizzeria manager called him and reminded him about the gift certificate (small town, they're old friends). And NOW, my oldest brother wants it (he writes, "I don't mind telling you that I could use it"). Of course he does!! He wants to use it to get pizza for himself and his trashy garage band (a bunch of wannabes in their 50s and 60s who smoke an drink their lives away while convincing themselves that they could have been famous). He does not have a family. He has a job. He has more money than I do (a single mom with two daughters and college loans!).

This gc was given to our FAMILY by MY friend to help with food during the FUNERAL WEEKEND.

I emailed my brother back and told him that I'd already contacted my friend and that she is going to cancel the gc, but just hasn't done it yet. He emailed back and told me I was selfish, and so was my friend. The other brother, typical middle child, trying to keep the peace, wants me to relent and let him use it.

Should I really contact my friend? And if so, what the heck do I say? "Oh, don't bother canceling that gift certificate, my brother wants to use your thoughtful gift to feed his garage band."

Families are fun! I would tell your friend to get going to canceling the gift certificate. I don’t think you really owe your brother an explanation. If you hadn’t told him about it he never would have known anyway.

I'd let her decide what she wants to do with it. Give her the info that your brother gave you.

So sorry for your loss. :hug: I’d let the friend go ahead and cancel the gift card. I doubt your brother would even appreciate it.

Want to verbally stick it to the brother who thinks you are selfish?

Give it to a food bank and ask them for a thank you note. Also assuming it is stilled allowed with the new tax law write it off on your tax under charitable. Don't tell them that. Let it be your private joke on them.

Send a copy to each brother and say "In memory of our mother I have donated the GC to the XYZ food bank."

I think your friend would be pleased with this.

Tell him to politely "Go Pound Sand".

Sorry for your loss. HUGS

Tell him to politely "Go Pound Sand".

Sorry for your loss. HUGS

I agree with that sentiment....

However, I would not actally tell him (say) anything....
I would have your friend cancel the gift certificate.
I would not feel it necessary to give my brother any details about how and when the cancellation took place.
Maybe it was already in the works....

I would not feel comfortable asking my friend to 'gift' $75.00 in pizza to these guys.
I just wouldn't.

This was a good-will gesture during your time of loss and need....
Your brother even beginning to use the word or think in terms of 'gifts' is totally inappropriate.

I am SO SO SO sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry about your family. And you don't need to explain anything to your brother. Do what you want with the gc. This is your brothers problem not yours. Remember set boundaries.

As Pea and Me said, emotions are running high. I mean think about it, you guys are angry at each other over $75 worth of pizza. If you’ve already told him your friend is getting the refund then just let it be. There’s no reason to discuss it anymore. If you want to diffuse the situation you could say something like, “I’m really sorry, I didn’t realize you could use it” and then just let it go. No one has to be right about this, it’s not something you need to add to an already stressful situation.

I’m really sorry about your Mom. I wish you peace.

Last edited:
I am so very sorry for your loss.

And I agree with the people who said that you shouldn't have to call your friend back. She made a generous gesture. You called her back to explain why it wasn't used.

If for some reason she does not cancel the card or can't, is it possible to use it when you go back to your hometown? There are usually all kinds of depressing, real life things that have to be done after the funeral as well. Perhaps you could use it as a family then?

Either way, don't stress about it. Take care of yourself right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter