(X)LC Microwave Flax Bread -- Yummy and Quick!

robinb

DIS veteran
I got this recipe off another website a couple weeks ago and I've been eating this for breakfast every morning. I'll include the original recipe first and then my updates later.

1 tablespoons of melted butter-
1/2 pinch of salt-
1 large egg
4 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 1 minute or until center is set. Leave it in the bowl for another minute then turn it out on a cooling rack and let it cool

Original Variations:
* Banana bread: add cinnamon and spenda and banana extract (you can find it at the grocery store where the vanilla and baking stuff is);
* I’ve also added splenda and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (makes a very moist bread though but good);
* Rosemary and parmesan;
* A little shredded cheddar on top

I usually mix everything in a small bowl and then put it in a square disposable Glad/Ziplock container. I will "rap" the container on the counter a couple times to eliminate air bubbles and to smooth out the top of the "dough". Once it comes out of the microwave, the result is about an inch thick. From there you can use it just like bread. I usually cut it in half and make toast and slather it with more butter. I bet it would make really good French toast too. Peanut butter is great on this once it cools.

Note:
The bread itself is OK for Atkin's Induction, but the variations may not be. Check your DANDR book or the Atkins website for more information.

Robin's Variations:

* 1 T protein powder. This makes the bread a little softer.
* 1 T sesame seeds. Adds a nice little crunch.

Warning!!
Flax seed is a natural laxitive. If you're not used to eating a lot of fiber in a day you may want to eat only half a slice and build up to a whole slice ;).

From FitDay:
Total:306 Calories
Fat: 26 g
Sat: 9 g
Poly: 1 g
Mono: 5 g
Carbs: 9 g
Fiber: 8 g
Protein: 12 g

Wow! This sounds interesting. :) I'll have to try it the next time at the health food store & can pick up some flax seed. I would tweak the butter with "I Can't believe it's not butter" for South Beach Dieters. (Phase 2)

Adding chopped walnuts to the banana bread would be great. :D

Just made this for b'fast & it is YUMMY! I'm returning to LC after 10 wks on Nutri-system. I needed to try a quik jump-start before trying LC again. It worked but now I'm anxious to return to healthier, less processed foods. I was concerned about missing bread & toast but this is PERFECT!!!!:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter