Xmas Day At The World - What Would U Do?

diane@wpg.mb

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone - I posted this question on the Cdn. Site but didn't get much of a response so I thought I'd try here.

DH-52, DS-16, DD-14 and me (ancient) willl be at the world from December 17 - 30/02. This is our first time ever (in my long ancient life) that we will be away for Xmas Day - anyone have any suggestions of special things to do???? Also do you know any place to go to for a traditional Xmas Dinner (turkey and the whole nine yards) - we are staying at the HIFS.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I can hardly wait - this will be my second time (in my long ancient life) on an airplane - & to top it off - I'M GOING TO DISNEY - Dreams do come true.

HUGS - Diane - I will be wearing a lime green ribbon while I'm there - say hi if you see me ;) ;)

:Pinkbounc There are many things to do as all the parks are decorated for the holidays. They go all out to do this.

They used to have a dinner called the Jolly Holidays Dinner but they don't offer it any more. It used to be served family style at the Contemporary with a great show and over 70 characters. it was great, but for some reason they discontinued it.

You will see, in Epcot, a beautiful Christmas tree decorated with messages in every conceivable language. There will also be cast members around this tree to wish you a happy holiday. Each country in Epcot will have a Santa Claus depicting their country. These make wonderful pictures with the kids. Downtown Disney has a beautiful Santa and you can have your pictures taken. We did the whole family and we all wore Mickey Xmas hats or reindeer ears.

I brought a xmas tree from my house. One of those 3-4 foot fiber optics that already is decorated, for about $29 US and some extra decorations. Placed it on the table in our room and put it right by our window with a timer. Opened up the curtain and it was a beautiful sight to come to our room and have the tree lit up and welcoming us. People constantly stopped by and looked at it and commented on what a great idea. I did this after one year we ordered one from their florist and they charged us $150 US. It was cute, but a little too expensive. You can bring those window clings and put them around the window. We always exchange gifts.

The hotels do many things so check around. There is hot chocolate and cookies, visits by Santa at certain times to all the hotels for picture ops, All the hotels do gingerbread houses and they really go all out. Take time out and visit the hotels, you'll see them. The ones at the Grand Floridian are spectacular. They have one so big, that they actually have people working inside of it.

DD has a real ice skating rink under their Christmas treet. its lots of fun.

Try getting tickets to the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. It is a wonderful experience and dinner is part of the show.

Hope this helps a little.

diane@wpg.mb,
You are going to WDW at an absolutely awesome time of the year!
First off, I would recommend pampering yourselves and ordering room service for your Christmas breakfast.
We have been at the MK 3 different times on Christmas Day. It's pretty, but it is just too crowded to be enjoyable, IMHO. Just walking from point A to Point B is a trick because there are so many people in the park!
We have really enjoyed getting away from the crowds and enjoying the resorts on Christmas Day. The resorts are always dressed up beautifully and each has something special to offer. I LOVE the Gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian (a life sized house in which they sell beautifully decorated gingerbread items)
ginger01b.jpg

The Yacht Club has had a life sized toy shop from which a conductor emerges in the evening time to tell the story of The Polar Express (check with guest services to see if this will be offered again this year). That story makes my cry everytime I think of it. (Especially when I think about my DS now 14--first listened to the story when he was about 7)...
One Christmas Day, we rented one of those surrey bicycle contraptions at the Boardwalk -- We laughed and giggled so hard.
On Christmas Day, most of the restuarants have a special Christmas menu. You should call 407 WDW DINE and make dining reservations as soon as you can. The closer you get to Christmas, the fewer choices you are going to have.
Don't forget to check out the Osborne Family Light show at MGM while you are there.

-DC :)

Thank you Thank you for your replies - as we are not staying on site is it okay to go to the hotels on site and just visit and look around?

I really am a newbie at all this - Also we are staying at the HIFS - the price I got was $100 US a night. With taxes and all it works out to be about $181.00 Cdn. - do you think that's a good deal or should I keep on searching?

Thanks for all your help - Diane

as we are not staying on site is it okay to go to the hotels on site and just visit and look around?
Yes, it is perfectly fine to visit the resorts--about the only you can't do is swim in the pools--but, the resorts have some fine dining options, shops and of course, great decorations.

Also we are staying at the HIFS - the price I got was $100 US a night. With taxes and all it works out to be about $181.00 Cdn. - do you think that's a good deal or should I keep on searching?
I am not familiar with that resort--but, my advice is always the same--I always keep looking for better deals until the last possible second. I think I had seen that Disney had extended their on par rate--
Link to Deb Will's site on par rates for Canadians
I wonder what kind of accomodations you could get onsite for a similar rate. Disney used to have a peculiar pricing structure whereby your room rate went by the rate when you check in. You would be checking in at a value season.... I am probably second guessing you--as you probably already looked into those options, eh?

-DC :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter