• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Xybernaut, Schools and Kevin

SueOKW

Go Tribe!!!
My DS, and DH are going to be in Columbus Feb 3 and 4 - to demonstrate how Kevin uses this backpack computer and how great it is for disabled kids. Another kid from his class may be there as well. (This is a statewide forum on schools and the use of technology.)

Our lives have really changed since Kevin moved up to the next school in our system - his teacher is energetic, caring, and is not afraid to use a little subtle discipline! Kevin gets his name on the board if he is being stubborn about something!! (She's so good she can tell his stubborness vs. inablity to move due to his CP)

We are very very happy with our school and his teacher. I just felt this was worth sharing - there are good schools and good teachers.

Sue, is there anyway you could post or email me more information about Kevin's backpack computer? It sounds really neat, and it might be something that we could think about for Benjamin in the future.

Thanks!
Wade

Yep, Sue, I think this would be a subject of general interest if you have any information you can share.
Also, if Kevin gets any publicity for his demonstration (even if it's only in his school newspaper) we'd be interested.
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the interest! He is going to eventually own the poma - either because he can get a discount and we buy it - or that very energetic teacher gets a grant and it goes into his IEP.

Here's a link to Xybernaut.

http://xybernaut.com/newxybernaut/home.htm

I also found out today that many kids from his MRDD class (including autistic kids) have been invited to attend COMDEX in Chicago to demonstrate how they use the computers in class. They will be part of the Thursday education demo. Kevin and his dad are definitely going. Xybernaut is extremely excited about what their product has done in the special ed market. Until his teacher wrote them, they had no idea!! So - it's taking off in a very fast way - and all centered around a very small school system in Ohio.

http://xybernaut.com/newxybernaut/company/public/shows/ICWC_2002/Agenda.htm

I have a video from Kev's school of him and one of his friends using these computers (not the wearable screen, but the one on the actual box.) so, I will be happy to "e" that to anyone interested. His life has changed. He is "reading" Harry Potter - he is telling the days of the week 50% of the time, he is telling people he wants food or juice.... he is communicating with words as said by the computer. (using a switch.)

I can't say enough about Xybernaut, or his teacher. I will be sure to share whatever happens in the next month - and who knows - by April 1 when we are in the World, you may see us toting aroung this incredibly tiny computer!!

Enjoy looking - feel free to ask any questions. We really feel Kevin is finally getting "unlocked" - he has never been more peaceful and responsive. The autistic kids are responding well too. I hope this can change other lives too.

Thanks again for the interest - i am so excited - after 4 years with a really bad teacher i feel like the sun is shining again!
Sue

I'd be interested in the video and can you give us a little more info on how it works/what it is. I went to the web site, but the information is more mysterious than informative.
How does he access it for speaking? Is there just regular Windows software on it, or some special things for speech?

i'll be happy to send you the video.

re: how the darn thing runs - WELL! I don't know what software they have on it - DH will check asap and we'll let you know. If my scanner gets fixed I'll add a picture of Kev using it - very small - on his wheelchair tray. He uses a head switch or touches the screen. The teacher is very excited about the wearable monitor - Kev's eyesight is not that hot - (not a surprise) and we all think this will help.

Anyway - Columbus OH Feb 3 and 4 Chicago Mar 4 and 5.... for anyone in the area let me know and I can see if we can get you into the shows.

Sue

I'm interested because my DD uses a Dynavox and we've never been really happy with it. It's quite heavy, the touch screen breaks if you drop it (the voice of experience), it's not very portable, doesn't do anything besides talk and it was expensive (almost $8000).
We're always interested in seeing what else is out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter