Yachtsman Steakhouse with kids?

Minniemoo15

DIS Veteran
We are a large group (8 adults and 4 children ranging from 10 months-5 years).

We are staying at Beach Club and are all big steak lovers, so would love to try Yachtsman.

I've never been before and am wondering what the atmosphere is. I know it's Disney and kids are welcome pretty much everywhere... but it is super upscale? Ie: I don't think I'd take my kids to California Grill, but I would take them to Le Cellier.

They are pretty well behaved kids in restaurants but we will take them out for a walk around the resort immediately if they start getting whiny.

Is Yachtsman pretty much adults only and my kids will get the side eye for going - or is it somewhere families frequent?

Enjoy Yachtsman! While it's not geared to kids they are definitely welcomed and many people bring their kids. (None of the signatures are kid-centric imo). My suggestion to eat on the early side of dinner when you'll find more families.

We are staying at Beach Club and are all big steak lovers, so would love to try Yachtsman.

I've never been before and am wondering what the atmosphere is. I know it's Disney and kids are welcome pretty much everywhere... but it is super upscale? Ie: I don't think I'd take my kids to California Grill, but I would take them to Le Cellier.

They are pretty well behaved kids in restaurants but we will take them out for a walk around the resort immediately if they start getting whiny.

Is Yachtsman pretty much adults only and my kids will get the side eye for going - or is it somewhere families frequent?
The Yachtsman has a family-friendly atmosphere. Not a napkin-twirling Chef Mickey's family atmosphere, but a "this is our nice Sunday dinner together" family atmosphere. So bringing well-behaved kids will be totally appropriate and nothing unusual. My son went at ages 10 and 11. He loved it, and he was very welcome there.

Enjoy Yachtsman! While it's not geared to kids they are definitely welcomed and many people bring their kids. (None of the signatures are kid-centric imo). My suggestion to eat on the early side of dinner when you'll find more families.
Agreed. We have seen families on all our visits and there are more in the beginning ( we go between 6:00 & 6:30) then when we are finishing up. Especially on weeknights when there are usually conferences or conventions at the hotels along the Boardwalk area.

The earlier you make an ADR, the more comfortable you might feel, and the less you'll have to worry about the young ones. What I mean is an ADR anywhere between 5-7 won't be an issue and you will see quite a few families. The later it gets, the less kids you'll tend to see.

My wife and I don't have kids. If we choose to make a Signature ADR for anytime before 7, we expect a much different atmosphere than if we book an ADR after 8. I don't even mind kids getting fussy and somewhat loud earlier in the night. But the later it gets, the quieter I expect a Signature restaurant to be. I really hope that doesn't come off too snobby or anything.

The earlier you make an ADR, the more comfortable you might feel, and the less you'll have to worry about the young ones. What I mean is an ADR anywhere between 5-7 won't be an issue and you will see quite a few families. The later it gets, the less kids you'll tend to see.

My wife and I don't have kids. If we choose to make a Signature ADR for anytime before 7, we expect a much different atmosphere than if we book an ADR after 8. I don't even mind kids getting fussy and somewhat loud earlier in the night. But the later it gets, the quieter I expect a Signature restaurant to be. I really hope that doesn't come off too snobby or anything.

Nah. It's like going to see a Pixar movie before 5, you know there will be kids and just hope for the best. After 5 you expect a different decorum :)

You will certainly see other kids here. But I just want to point out the atmosphere is more quiet & upscale that Le Cellier. I actually think it is more upscale that California Grill, which is loud & bright. Yachtsman's is quieter with tablecloths & a slower paced service. We go every trip & there are definitely lots of families. Just want you to know it is one of Disney's more upscale restaurants. There will,be people in shorts, but many people wear better outfits. Not suits & ties, but nicer stuff like dockers, button down tops, capris, sundresses, etc.

But if your kids can tolerate a relaxed paced meal, go for it. The food is sooo good.

Go and enjoy it. They love families. They have the cutest cookie puzzle for desserts that the kids can "paint", assemble and eat. We ate there with our extended family of eight. Everyone enjoyed the delicious meal.

Just wanted to mention that the Sandcastle Club is a good choice if you don't want to take the children that evening.

Not saying that its a bad idea. Just offering another choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter