Yachtsman vs Cali Grill!

MegMouseketeer

Mouseketeer
I had my heart set on trying California Grill during our October Trip. I mostly chose it because we wanted to try and see the fireworks from the restaurant. They scheduled 4 Halloween parties during our week and due to various other things, we will not be able to go to Cali Grill on a non party night. The Halloween party fireworks at after 10 and we really don't want to stay and wait for them. My husband and parents have been talking about it and really just want a nice steak dinner. The food is the most important to us. We will be staying at the Beach Club. My husband and I have eaten at the Yachtsman (not on the dining plan previously) and loved it. My parents have never eaten there. We will be on the dining plan this time and it would be nice to not worry about price. All that being said (and just going on the quality of food if we are big meat eaters), should we stay with Cali Grill sans fireworks or go to the Yachtsman?

I have heard rave things about Shulas!! My husband and I should have gone there last year when we did not use the dining plan. Since I have it, I kinda feel like I need to use it now.

Our grandson(29) loves YS...he and the wife went there 2 wks ago..when we were at BC/BW for awhile with family....My self I vote for Flying Fish..for steak... the 6 of us also ate at Cali Grill...it was very good...and we watched the fireworks from there..

While I've heard others rave about it, we have yet to be impressed by the steak at CG. We really prefer the steaks at Yachstman. Shula's would be even better; however, it's not like Shula's is unique to WDW. Ultimately, I love the view at CG and things like their flat breads and sushi items are always great, but I think you'll get better food at Yachtsman.

The last couple of times we have gone to California Grill it has been okay. Every time when we are going down in the elevator to head out, I wish I had gone somewhere else. For the cost, I want an experience that is more than just okay. If I really wanted steak I think I would go to Yachtsman. We have never been to Shula's as hubby likes the dining plan. Hopefully some day!

Not a fan of dinner at CA Grill at all, we much prefer Yachtsman. We have also been to Shula's, and maybe we hit it on an off night but it was really disappointing, you can also get Shula's in many places around the US, so it really doesn't entice us to try again at WDW.

I think Yachtsman is a fine multi-generational restaurant with pretty nice steaks. A bit staid in decor but that maybe because I've seen this type of design up and down the New England coast, and with saying that it truly is on theme:). No surprises on the menu just honest steaks and side dishes. Many wuvv the onion bread (I'm not much a bread eater so depend on my observation that the rest of my party gobbled down 2 baskets;)). Did a nice job on shellfish appetizers . Should you opt for dessert the Admiral's cake might be big enough for more than one. There were 4 people at our table and 2 children (ages 13 and 9.5 then) and one adult ate it wit a little leftover; very rich.
An easy "roll" back to the hotel in distance, LOL.

I can't choose between the two; it just depends on what mood I am in. I have never had a bad experience at Yachtsman steak house the many times I have been there over the last 10+ years. This June I almost made an ADR there, but decided to once again try Flying Fish for the first time since the redo. After the refurb at CG I didn't have the best of experiences the first few times we were there. But we returned because of others in our party that wanted to try CG and to experience at that time Wishes from the restaurant while eating. I will say that the last two times we were there the food and the service were excellent. We are returning this June and hoping it continues to be on our list of places to now go to.

I ate at both last trip. Ordered the same entree at each. Cali Grill was better. View was also better, overlooking the bay. (I also had different desserts at each and my Cali Grill dessert was better, but probably because it was my first time ever trying Creme Brulee (at YS) and I just didnt like it) This trip I made an ADR for Cali Grill and not YS.

For my one steak per trip, it's the Yachtsman for me. TBH, I would only consider CG because of the fact that I wanted to really see the fireworks. When I have considered making reservations there on any of my trips, the menu has really never appealed to me enough. When I've wanted seafood, which is what I usually eat, I always choose Narcoossee's over CG. I have heard some rave about the steak at Le Cellier but I have never had it there myself.

Last edited:
We went to Shulas in January we thought it was over priced and not that good. Yachtsmen is always good but chaotic. I would choose California Grill for the atmosphere and food. My favorite steak place is stk in Disney springs but there’s a DJ. We also like le cellier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter