Yeah!Major tasks are done...now how to get my dress on the plane!

Malibelle

<font color=magenta>Malibelle<font color=darkorchi
Wow, time flies....I finally just finished my last big task for the wedding. We shipped down all the wecome bags to our hotel this weekend. Its such a hug wieght lifted off my shoulders. Now I am getting excited as I am now starting to plan out the days and what we want to do. The major stuff is done. Just one more thing, I have to figure out how to get my dress on the plane. Can anyone tell me thier experieces with US AIR, we are flying out of Philly? I know they say the garment bag can't be more than 52 inch but mine is more like 70 inches.

That's so exciting!! I, too, am flying out of Phili. for my Disney Wedding in August. Where are you from?!

We booked Southwest for August, and I am too curious how to get the dress on the plane. We almost booked USAir, but ended up getting Southwest for $100 round trip!

Those of you that have gone on your plane with the dress, do you package it, or does the bridal shop do it for you? Does it help to call the airline in advance to let them know?

I'm from PA too and plan on flying from Philly. My wedding isn't until next May. One of my Bridesmaids is taking the train and I am giving her my dress, I think. I'm from Hazleton, thats a bit over 2 hours from Philly towards the Poconos. Nice to meet other PA brides!!

Just wanted to say congrats on getting your major things done :goodvibes Your wedding is so close! You must be so excited :hyper:

i didnt use usair, but when we flew down I carried it on & the stewardess were so excited they offered to hang it in the 1st class hanger!!
Thats was real nice of them...

we did ask at check in & they recommended we carry it on

Call if you want to be safe

Good luck & you must be so excited....its almost time!!!!:rotfl:

Wow you day is almosy here.. How exciting.. Good Luck getting your dress on the plane.. I amsure everything will go smoothly...

I'm flying usair as well and the dress situation has me a little concerned too. I have called as well as emailed and got the response that there is no where to hang the dress but as long as it is 54 inches it can fit in the overhead compartment. I have my dress in a garment bag and it's very big. I'm going to try to fold it as best I can at the waist part as I have Carolyn Allen's coming to steam it once we get down there. I've also said that if they try to make me stow the dress under the plane I will ride there with it. :rotfl:
I have a friend that flew a few years ago with a large wedding dress and she had no problems. She just recommended going very early to check in. Fingers crossed!!! :goodvibes

This was the exact email that I got from usair...

Thank you for visiting usairways.com.

Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate the hanging of your
wedding dress.

It is best to take the garment bag that the dress came with, put it
inside of a standard luggage garment bag, fold the garment bag in half
and place it in the overhead bin. This causes the least amount of
wrinkling especially through the bodice and the bottom where steaming is
usually most needed. Any minor wrinkles that folding may cause will
usually "press themselves out" if you hang it up as soon as you reach
your destination. The maximum size of a garment bag that will fit in the
overhead bin is 54 inches. I would suggest transporting your dress this
way.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to
reply. We know that you have many choices and we thank you for choosing
US Airways!

When we went down in December for the wedding, I flew with my dress. On the first leg of our flight (we connected in Atlanta) the flight attendant offered to hang it in the Captains Closet. On the flight from ATL - I rode with it on my lap. It was too poofy to fit into the overhead, and the flight attendant told me that she didn't have room to hang it anywhere. :confused3 Believe me, after all I went through to get that dress, I sure as he** wasn't going to check it!!! :joker:

Get ready, these next few days will fly! Trust me!

I am flying Southwest, who also does not accomadate a dress by hanging it, so I am *carefully* folding mine with tissue paper in a suitcase that i can carryon........I have done a trial run and it suprisingly did not wrinkle after 12 hours, and my flight is only two hours.

Best option I found! ;)

I didn't have a Disney wedding, but I did travel to Scotland to get married. I had the same issue with getting my wedding dress to Scotland for my ceremony. I found the airlines to be no help at all. So, I ended up folding my beautiful wedding dress inside a hardside suitcase. I found the suitcase provided plenty of protection so my dress did not get crushed at all - it ended up being slightly wrinkled. Once I arrived at my destination (almost 9 hours later!) I used a steamer and the dress came out perfect.

I would recommend the hardside suitcase. I was extremely nervous about my dress prior to flying, but it worked great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter