Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Advice - Updated with Photos - Post 63

Hi,

We spent a week out there just exploring the town of Jackson & GrandTeton National park. I read that people just stop by a day or 2 through GTNP on their way to/from Yellowstone. But, we've discovered that it's a whole destination unto itself. We flew into jackson airport which was just jawdropping/spectacular flying into those mountain ranges. I highly recommend flying into that airport. It's incredible what awaits you as you step off the plane.

We did lots of hiking, canoeing, mountain biking & even a white water raft trip. We'll definitely be back.

IMG_1782-1.jpg
IMG_1583-1.jpg

Jackson hole airport
IMG_1807-1.jpg

Grand Teton national park
IMG_1759-1.jpg

hiking trail past inspiration point @Jenny Lake
IMG_1585.jpg

Canoeing on Jackson Lake
IMG_1677-1.jpg

Hi,

We spent a week out there just exploring the town of Jackson & GrandTeton National park. I read that people just stop by a day or 2 through GTNP on their way to/from Yellowstone. But, we've discovered that it's a whole destination unto itself. We flew into jackson airport which was just jawdropping/spectacular flying into those mountain ranges. I highly recommend flying into that airport. It's incredible what awaits you as you step off the plane.

We did lots of hiking, canoeing, mountain biking & even a white water raft trip. We'll definitely be back.

IMG_1782-1.jpg
IMG_1583-1.jpg

Jackson hole airport
IMG_1807-1.jpg

Grand Teton national park
IMG_1759-1.jpg

hiking trail past inspiration point @Jenny Lake
IMG_1585.jpg

Canoeing on Jackson Lake
IMG_1677-1.jpg

Awesome pics- I can't wait to go in a few years- I want to do a 2-3 week trip out west, Yellowstone/GTNP/ Glacier/ etc.

CamAnd, those are great pictures! It sounds like you had an awesome time. I think that I could have used another day or so at the Grand Tetons but that was without any hiking or canoeing.

Donald is #1

Hi! I see that you stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge during your trip. What's your opinion of this accomodation? We did stop by to check out the lobby and it had the most incredible views! I read recent reviews on TripAdvisor that Jackson Lake Lodge wasn't worth it for the price? It was too basic and very outdated? We'd consider only staying at the main building. We're not into cabins. I ask because we are thinking of returning next year and doing a GTNP/Yellowstone vacation with the kids (next time) and for longer since we'd like to do 2 parks.

On our trip to GTNP we stayed at Wyoming Inn(town of Jackson) and Teton Mountain Lodge(at Teton Village). OMG! The 2nd place had a 24 person rooftop hottub! We enjoyed that after long days of hiking & the view of the mountains were amazing. Both had more amenities & were more modern than what the lodging inside the parks seem to provide. I don't necessarily need luxury but I expect extreme cleanliness.

How was the Snow Lodge in Yellowstone? I loved your Yellowstone pics especially the wildlife next to the lodges.:thumbsup2

Donald is #1

Hi! I see that you stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge during your trip. What's your opinion of this accomodation? We did stop by to check out the lobby and it had the most incredible views! I read recent reviews on TripAdvisor that Jackson Lake Lodge wasn't worth it for the price? It was too basic and very outdated? We'd consider only staying at the main building. We're not into cabins. I ask because we are thinking of returning next year and doing a GTNP/Yellowstone vacation with the kids (next time) and for longer since we'd like to do 2 parks.

Although I'm not "Donald is #1", we've stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge twice, both times in a patio non-view cottage. They're not individual cabins, but more like attached motel units, with doors to the outside. The first time we stayed there, we just made a fortunate choice, but when we chose to go back to the Grand Tetons, there was no question where we'd stay. There's a lobby with a breathtaking view, floor to celiling windows, and a deck outside, where a park ranger comes for a couple hours every morning with a spotting scope and a wealth of information. The second year, we spent several days touring Yellowstone, then drove down to the GT, where we mostly rested and hung around JLL taking in the views there. We loved it!

View from deck outside lobby (we often saw various wildlife)
2007_0609Image0103.jpg

Patio cottage the first year we went-
DSCF0651.jpg

View from our balcony this year. One morning we watched a moose walking down that dirt road (and yes, that's snow in June)-
PICT0237.jpg

Donald is #1

On our trip to GTNP we stayed at Wyoming Inn(town of Jackson) and Teton Mountain Lodge(at Teton Village). OMG! The 2nd place had a 24 person rooftop hottub! We enjoyed that after long days of hiking & the view of the mountains were amazing. Both had more amenities & were more modern than what the lodging inside the parks seem to provide. I don't necessarily need luxury but I expect extreme cleanliness.

How was the Snow Lodge in Yellowstone? I loved your Yellowstone pics especially the wildlife next to the lodges.:thumbsup2

Like you noticed the views from the main area are incredible! You can see so many animals from there. Unlike Simba's Mom, I stayed in the Main Lodge and thought that the room itself was just "ok". The room really wasn't anything special. However, the views from the hotel itself are more than worth it. Based upon Simba's Mom's comments, I would probably look at staying in one of the non-view cottages.

I enjoyed the Snow Lodge. While the room isn't very fancy, I like the Snow Lodge better than either the Hotel at Mammouth Hot Springs (second choice) and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel (last chioce). When/if I go again, I would probably stay at the cabins at Lake Lodge instead. I ate a couple of times at the cafeteria at the Lake Lodge a couple of times and felt that it was more my style than the Lake Yellowstone Hotel.

Although I'm not "Donald is #1", we've stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge twice, both times in a patio non-view cottage. They're not individual cabins, but more like attached motel units, with doors to the outside. The first time we stayed there, we just made a fortunate choice, but when we chose to go back to the Grand Tetons, there was no question where we'd stay. There's a lobby with a breathtaking view, floor to celiling windows, and a deck outside, where a park ranger comes for a couple hours every morning with a spotting scope and a wealth of information. The second year, we spent several days touring Yellowstone, then drove down to the GT, where we mostly rested and hung around JLL taking in the views there. We loved it!

View from deck outside lobby (we often saw various wildlife)
2007_0609Image0103.jpg

Patio cottage the first year we went-
DSCF0651.jpg

View from our balcony this year. One morning we watched a moose walking down that dirt road (and yes, that's snow in June)-
PICT0237.jpg

Great pictures! On my last trip, I stuck to the hotel like accomodations because I was traveling by myself. But I think that based upon seeing where the cabin like units were, I would go for the cabins the next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter