Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Advice - Updated with Photos - Post 63

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone for the family next summer. What are some things and places in Yellowstone that we must do? We've also talked about staying at a different hotel each night. Which do you recommend?

We stayed in three separate locations on our trip. Old Faithful Cabins (very small but the location was :thumbsup2 ), Mammouth cabins (rustic, but larger) and Lake Cabins (very nice). In all locations we got the "with bath" option. As it turned out, dumb luck, we did them in the order listed, so quality improved as we went. We did two nights in each location . . . as we wanted a full day to explore the immediate area, walk with rangers etc. The travel days afforded some of these opportunities, but it's difficult to make a scheduled ranger activity when there is a bear jam, a wolf sighting or a herd of bison slowing traffic.

Also, the official website for lodging, activities, etc. is www.travelyellowstone.com
If you're thinking of staying in the park (which I highly recommend) think about making your travel reservations soon. I just booked reservations for next June today. Certain types of rooms are already booked for some dates. Last year we booked in September '07 for June '08 and what we want was booked, so we changed dates since we really had our hearts set on staying at a particular place. Besides making reservations, this website is terrific for general info.

That's what I was thinking too, that we'd need to make reservations this far in advance for the busy summer months. Need to get cracking on narrowing down dates so I can book.

Great places to stay? Any advice from those who've been?

That's what I was thinking too, that we'd need to make reservations this far in advance for the busy summer months. Need to get cracking on narrowing down dates so I can book.

I stayed at the Snow Lodge (at Old Faithful), the hotel at Mammouth Hot Springs and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. My favorite was the snow lodge but the hotel at Mammouth Hot Springs was fine. For some reason, the Lake Yellowstone Hotel didn't do much for me. I think that I would stay at the cabins near there the next time.

You really should get started! I made reservations today (at the Grand Canyon, the Grand Tetons, and Custer State Park) for our July 2009 road trip, and the pickings are already slim! Cabins with a view are GONE at the Grand Canyon, and I had to take my second -choice cabin in the Grand Tetons. It's amazing that it's necessary to think so far ahead.

You really should get started! I made reservations today (at the Grand Canyon, the Grand Tetons, and Custer State Park) for our July 2009 road trip, and the pickings are already slim! Cabins with a view are GONE at the Grand Canyon, and I had to take my second -choice cabin in the Grand Tetons. It's amazing that it's necessary to think so far ahead.

Yikes! I better get my Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion plans going for next year.

Yikes! I better get my Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion plans going for next year.
Yep. I was just toying around with the idea of adding a cabin for the Yellowstone portion of our trip (as opposed to a chain hotel just outside the park), and I see that there are LITERALLY NO ROOMS/CABINS available for our dates. I cannot believe this is true!

They're saying that the national parks are in trouble financially. Why don't they build more cabins? The space is certainly available, a well-planned cabin village doesn't detract from the scenery, and they're money-makers.

Just a thought - if you are looking on-line and seeing no availability, you might want to call for ressies. Sometimes, the web site is no fully up to date. It's worth a try.

When does availability open up? Is it one year out? I was thinking about Yellowstone/Grand Tetons next August. What is the weather like at that time?

This is the availability at the Old Faithful Inn for our dates next year.
Could someone tell me abuot these.

High Range
Premium Backside East Wing
Premium Frontside West Wing

If our top priority is Old Faithful, is this where we need to be?

This is the availability at the Old Faithful Inn for our dates next year.
Could someone tell me abuot these.

High Range
Premium Backside East Wing
Premium Frontside West Wing

If our top priority is Old Faithful, is this where we need to be?

It is one of the possible places to stay in the Old Faithful area. I can't help with that specific hotel. We stayed at the cabins which are also within walking distance of the geysers (our budget did not permit the pricier hotels).
Also check this site - http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/index.php?sid=24767e38b1ff91c3c3a8d4fd19680a47
Enjoy!

We were able to reserve a Western cabin in the Yellowstone Canyon Lodge (we'll be in Cody, then we'll spend just one night in this cabin, then we'll head over to West Yellowstone). Anyone have details about this place?

We're thinking of doing the horseback ride/dinner, which originates in the Roosevelt area. How far is this from our cabin? Any details on this dinner trip?

Thanks!

We were able to reserve a Western cabin in the Yellowstone Canyon Lodge (we'll be in Cody, then we'll spend just one night in this cabin, then we'll head over to West Yellowstone). Anyone have details about this place?

We're thinking of doing the horseback ride/dinner, which originates in the Roosevelt area. How far is this from our cabin? Any details on this dinner trip?

Thanks!

I can only help you with the horseback ride. It's about 19 miles from where you're staying. Sorry, I don't know anything about the cabins at Canyon, we stayed this year and will stay next year at the cabins at Lake Yellowstone.

I'm thinking of surprising DH with an aniversary trip to GTNP next fall...but I"m not sure when to go. We work for the schools so a long weekend would be best, but I think Labor Day might be too early (crowds and no color changes yet) and Columbus Day may be too late (snow and the color change long gone). Any suggestions on the best time to go? If we were to fly into Bozeman what are our chances of being stuck because of snow?

We would really enjoy seeing the aspens in the fall and also some full-racked moose.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of surprising DH with an aniversary trip to GTNP next fall...but I"m not sure when to go. We work for the schools so a long weekend would be best, but I think Labor Day might be too early (crowds and no color changes yet) and Columbus Day may be too late (snow and the color change long gone). Any suggestions on the best time to go? If we were to fly into Bozeman what are our chances of being stuck because of snow?

We would really enjoy seeing the aspens in the fall and also some full-racked moose.

Thanks!

My trip was during Labor Day last year. Actually the crowds were fine but the trees really hadn't started to change.

Thanks!

Aspen should hit full color around the last week in September to October 1, b ut there will be some color a few weeks earlier than that. You never know with snow in October. It can be Indian summer and be beautiful or it can snow two feet. I'd recommend Labor Day. Crowds will be mostly gone, days will still be warm and little chance of snow. Elk should be entering the rut. Lots a moose in GTNP. Go have breakfast in the Mural Room at Jackson Lake Lodge and insist on a table by the window-- wait if you have to and watch the willows below you. Moose and more moose. I'd recommend flying into Jackson, unless you are wanting to drive 4 hours from Bozeman through Yellowstone. It's a wonderful drive, but with just a weekend, you'd be spending most of your time driving.

We are leaving for Yellowstone exactly a month from today - yay!!!! We'll be flying into Bozeman and then heading straight to Yellowstone. But on the way back we'll be spending the night in Bozeman. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel that's fairly close to the airport? Does anyone know how easy/difficult rental car return and TSA is to deal with there? We have an early flight (7:50 a.m.) but the rental car agency doesn't open until 7:00! I assume we should check in and check our bags first and then return the car when the car agency opens...or is everything close enough together that we'd still have time to wait until the rental place opens at 7:00?

Thanks for any info!

We are leaving for Yellowstone exactly a month from today - yay!!!! We'll be flying into Bozeman and then heading straight to Yellowstone. But on the way back we'll be spending the night in Bozeman. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel that's fairly close to the airport? Does anyone know how easy/difficult rental car return and TSA is to deal with there? We have an early flight (7:50 a.m.) but the rental car agency doesn't open until 7:00! I assume we should check in and check our bags first and then return the car when the car agency opens...or is everything close enough together that we'd still have time to wait until the rental place opens at 7:00?

Thanks for any info!

We fly into Jackson on the 27th!

I wonder if we're going to overlap anyplace in the park! I can't answer your questions because we've never been, and this is our 3rd attempt at a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP and it does look as if the third time is the charm.

I like staying in cabins and we have Frontier Cabins at the Snow Lodge, and Canyon of Yellowstone and then at Coulter Bay.

We are booked for the Teddy Bear Tour...I don't want DH to do all of the driving, this way he also gets to enjoy the scenery. Are there any other tours that anyone recommends?

We have dinners scheduled at Old Faithful Inn and at the Jackson Lake Lodge, are there any other recommendations for dinner?

Thanks,
Bobbi:goodvibes

hi! We did this trip last summer and it was AWESOME!!!! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express right outside of the Bozeman airport for one night. It was extremely clean and convenient. There was a restaurant right next door (walking distance) that was great..it was a chain, I can't remember the name..but yummy food for very cheap. We rented a car from Avis and they couldn't have been nicer. I think we had to take a shuttle to the lot from the airport, but it was super easy and quick. The Bozeman airport is tiny and very very easy to get around. Holiday Inn had a shuttle as well. I usually return the car the night before an early flight and get on the free shuttle the next day so you don't have to deal with the return. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Hi missstcroix.

Thank you very much for the information and the recommendations - that really helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter