Yellowstone / Grand Tetons

OK, so the next question is when do I buy our plane tix, for July? Now, or should I wait for a better fare? How do these things usually work? TIA!

Where are you flying from? We flew from Detroit on Frontier with a connection in Denver.

I booked our flights down for our July 31 flight on Apr 20 and paid $249.70 a seat (this included luggage, TV's, snacks & assigned seats) and for our return flights, I booked them on May 16 and paid $185.20 (with same as above included)

There are not many airlines that fly into Jackson - I know Delta is one of them. But I highly recommend it - it is an amazing flight in and the airport is really cool to see. It is amazing how simple things can still be!

We rented a car in Jackson and it was quick and easy too.

OK, so the next question is when do I buy our plane tix, for July? Now, or should I wait for a better fare? How do these things usually work? TIA!

Just beware of one thing if you buy your tickets from United. We were using FF miles, so we had to book with them and in around October for our 3 June trips. Well, all 3 times, United made major changes in our flight times both within days after we booked, then again a few weeks before the trip. It was so frustrating! But for the price for us (nothing), we couldn't complan too much.

Wr just came back from our Q4TW ABD last week of August. The weather was great but warmer during the day than expected. With that said there is no AC in the hotels at Yellowstone. This was big for us as we really love our AC after a very warm day visiting the park. even with 2 fans going 24/7 our room was VERY stuffy!

Loved Loved Loved the trip but no AC in yellowstone was lame!

Have a great trip!

We decided to fly into Salt Lake from NY LGA, because they had the only direct flights from the NY area when I looked, and they were less expensive. The less ups and downs the better! I know we will spend more on gas and time in the rental car, but we figured we'd rather be on the ground. We don't have any FF miles so, no worries there! I was just wondering if prices go up and down depending on how far ahead you book, or do the prices drop the closer you get to the trip? I don't want to wait and not be able to get seats on a flight, but I don't want to pay premium prices if I can wait a bit. We don't fly much so I'm not sure how to approach this. TIA!

Re: binoculars. Wal-Mart get 2 pair, 10x50 big and klunky. The small ones
stink. The wide angle of vision works well. the bigger numbers jiggle a lot and the smaller numbers just show you enough to dig for a better pair. I now carry
3 pair for 4 people and they have lasted more the a dozen years. 50 dollars or
less per pair, for amateurs like me.

We have just this past week decided to head west next summer.:banana: DH and I have both been to Yellowstone several times but mostly just driving through because we never reserved a campsite in advance. This time we are planning to camp for at least 5 nights, most likely in the Canyon Campground since it takes reservations AND will be open in mid-June when we want to go. We are going to drive from Kentucky to Omaha and spend maybe two nights there to visit the zoo and rest from the drive. From there we will head to the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore area and most likely camp at Custer State Park for 2-3 nights. From there we will drive a couple hours to where my cousin lives in Buffalo, WY and spend a couple days with him on his mini-ranch. Then on to Yellowstone where we are hoping the kids are up to some good hiking. We'll be limited on distances they can go at that altiude so I'll have to do some research. I'm also hoping we can get a reservation at Old Faithful Inn for dinner one evening and go to the Chuckwagon dinner at Roosevelt. Aside from that we plan to see a lot of wildlife and hopefully check out some little known swimming holes. We are planning to spend a couple nights in Jackson(in an honest-to-goodness hotel room!:laughing:) after that and seeing some of GTNP from there including a scenic float trip on the Snake River. Then the long boring drive home.:sad2: So does this plan sound doable in early/mid June of 2010? Any advice, suggestions, etc.?:confused3

We have just this past week decided to head west next summer.:banana: DH and I have both been to Yellowstone several times but mostly just driving through because we never reserved a campsite in advance. This time we are planning to camp for at least 5 nights, most likely in the Canyon Campground since it takes reservations AND will be open in mid-June when we want to go. So does this plan sound doable in early/mid June of 2010? Any advice, suggestions, etc.?:confused3

Camping in early/mid June in Yellowstone-just be prepared for the possibility, no make that probability, of snow. We've gone 3 times. The first 2 times we went was the first week in June and we had snow that closed parts of Yellowstone. So the third time we went the second week to hopefully avoid the snow. On the day we got there, snow closed down all the roads in Yellowstone, and we would have been stuck sitting outside of Yellowstone, except they opened the part of the park we needed to get to before we got there.

Camping in early/mid June in Yellowstone-just be prepared for the possibility, no make that probability, of snow. We've gone 3 times. The first 2 times we went was the first week in June and we had snow that closed parts of Yellowstone. So the third time we went the second week to hopefully avoid the snow. On the day we got there, snow closed down all the roads in Yellowstone, and we would have been stuck sitting outside of Yellowstone, except they opened the part of the park we needed to get to before we got there.

As long as we are already there, we would all love snow!:banana: We'll just keep our fingers crossed that we get in beforehand.:lmao: I'd rather deal with weather than crowds any day. We will pack for all kinds of weather just in case. DH and I have camped all over the west in some not-so-ideal conditions so we won't be surprised by anything. I do appreciate the tip you(I think it was you:confused3) gave about waterproof hiking boots. I hadn't really thought about all the run-off and marshy areas that time of year.

OK, OP here, and as we are getting closer I have more questions!

Can anyone recommend a good book for day hikes?

How about a book about constellations? We are looking forward to seeing the stars instead of lights from nearby cities!

How far in advance do we need to reserve the chuckwagon dinner at Roosevelt?

We were considering also doing the Bar J chuckwagon dinner show in Jackson Hole. How far in advance do we need to make reservations? How similar is it to the chuckwagon experience at Roosevelt? Should we do both or just do one? If so, which one?

Thanks!

If you are still planning on going in July, you may be lucky enough to be there during the Southern Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower which will peak July 28th and 29th, but will be visible starting July 18.

These meteor showers can be spectacular in the western skies, especially since there isn't a major city within 300 miles...:)

If you are still planning on going in July, you may be lucky enough to be there during the Southern Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower which will peak July 28th and 29th, but will be visible starting July 18.

These meteor showers can be spectacular in the western skies, especially since there isn't a major city within 300 miles...:)

Sweet! We will be there at that time!

How about a book about constellations? We are looking forward to seeing the stars instead of lights from nearby cities!

We were considering also doing the Bar J chuckwagon dinner show in Jackson Hole. How far in advance do we need to make reservations? How similar is it to the chuckwagon experience at Roosevelt? Should we do both or just do one? If so, which one?

Thanks!

There is a good possibility that the Rangers will offer a nighttime sky program/hike. We have done that at a number of National Parks and it is always worth while. I can't recommend a book, but do suggest you do a web earch of "star chart." You will find sites that allow you to customize one for your location and viewing date(s).

In my "bookmarks," I have a site about day hikes in yellowstone. I would post it here, but a mod got on me for posting such links - search those key words and see what you find be on the lookout for a geocities site. Also Mark C. Marschall's book Yellowstone Trails: A Hiking Guide.

PM me if you can't find links.

There is a good possibility that the Rangers will offer a nighttime sky program/hike. We have done that at a number of National Parks and it is always worth while. I can't recommend a book, but do suggest you do a web earch of "star chart." You will find sites that allow you to customize one for your location and viewing date(s).

In my "bookmarks," I have a site about day hikes in yellowstone. I would post it here, but a mod got on me for posting such links - search those key words and see what you find be on the lookout for a geocities site. Also Mark C. Marschall's book Yellowstone Trails: A Hiking Guide.

PM me if you can't find links.

thx!

I am late to this thread-dont usually frequent these boards-but i grew up in Cody Wyoming and my mother still lives there-my dad and a partner ran a professional tour company specifically for Yellowstone for years.
One of the observations i will make is that people dont seem to have a realistic idea of the times and distances for travel in Wyoming-i.e the person who said that Thermopolis is "near" Yellowstone-in reality-depending on the route you take its 200 to 250 miles from the nearest gate. The park is quiet large-larger than some east coast states-and the speed limit is 35 mph. Driving from Signal Mountain to Old Faith ful-despite someones earlier contention that it was only about 70 miles-will take a good half day.
OP your itnerary looks awesome-dont worry about the lack or radio and TV-kids will be ready for bed at night. And i havent eaten there in a few years but the food at OFI used to be on a par with the better resturants anywhere in the west.
In Jackson Hole-eat breakfast at Jediahs house of sourdough-yummmmmmm and the Bunnery-they used to have the most amazing chocolate cheesecake muffins.

In Jackson Hole-eat breakfast at Jediahs house of sourdough-yummmmmmm and the Bunnery-they used to have the most amazing chocolate cheesecake muffins.

As I remember, the Bunnery had the most amazing everything!

Yes, as far as distance and driving time are concerned, remember that you never know how many times you might encounter some slow-moving animals in the middle of the road, or something you really want to stop and see. Do you really want to ask these guys to get out of your way?

PICT0191.jpg

There is an airport in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It will put you about 3 hours closer to Yellowstone than flying into SLC. You do have to change planes in SLC but the flight from SLC to Idaho Falls is just under an hour. The drive from Idaho Falls to Yellowstone is about 2 hours.

Jackson, Wyoming, Cody, Wyoming and Bozeman Montana are all closer than Idaho Falls-its about 90 minute from Cody to Yellowstone-and the Jackson Hole Airport is in Grand Teton Park-how ever the added airfare to any of those destinations may make SLC look very appealing.

Thanks!

I ordered the book "A Ranger's Guide to Yellowstone Day Hikes" from Amazon and love it.:thumbsup2 It is by Roger & Carol Anderson and gives very good information about the trails, length, difficulty, etc. I can't wait to try some of them out this summer.

Not sure when you need to book the dinners by. we booked the one at Roosevelt a couple of weeks ago for our June trip.:confused3

I ordered the book "A Ranger's Guide to Yellowstone Day Hikes" from Amazon and love it.:thumbsup2 It is by Roger & Carol Anderson and gives very good information about the trails, length, difficulty, etc. I can't wait to try some of them out this summer.

Not sure when you need to book the dinners by. we booked the one at Roosevelt a couple of weeks ago for our June trip.:confused3

Yes, I just got the same book and was looking at it last night. I'm sure the photos in the middle don't do it justice!

I made the Roosevelt reservations a couple of weeks ago. I now need to make reservations for the dinner in Jackson. I've been stung by the Olympics bug though... been watching WAY too much TV the past 2 weeks. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter