Yellowstone in March?

RangerPooh

DIS Veteran
We're considering a trip to Yellowstone in early March. Anyone been then? What's it like? I looked for in park lodging then but none were open. ANy good rec's for close places to stay? We're coming from Washington state.

Thanks.

March is still winter in Yellowstone and you're a month or more from things opening up for the spring, Most roads are only open to oversnow vehicles, just Mammoth to Cooke City is plowed (North to Northeast park entrances). During the very limited winter season operations Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Mammoth Hotel are open for lodging and you have to make arrangements to get to the Snow Lodge by snow coach, snowmobile, etc. Both places close in early March and then reopen in May for spring / summer season. If you can go in February you might be able to get a room at one of them - just did a quick check thru the website and there is some availability. Just outside the park there is Gardiner MT and there are motels there, don't know about winter availability. West Yellowstone ID is just outside the west entrance, again with motels. Nothing just to the south but Jackson WY is on the other side of Grand Teton and has a lot going on in the winter with skiing and the like. Check the National Park Service website for Yellowstone and I think they have information there about visiting Yellowstone in winter.....

March is the snowiest month of the year in Yellowstone.

IMO it is one of the most magical times to go. You can go into the park by snowcoach and stay at a few of the lodges that are open all year. Snow lodge, for example. If you are not an outdoorsy person that likes to snowshoe, cross-country ski, etc, this is NOT the time to go. Cabin fever will get you...

I lived in good ole WYO for 28 years and have been to Yellowstone countless times. It can also be extremely cold. West Yellowstone, Montana (west Gate) is the second coldest place in the country, after International Falls, MN.

If you go, take your heavy coat. The high temperatures can be in negative or single digit numbers.

I live in Bozeman, 90 miles away from the west entrance of West Yellowstone. If you like to cross country ski, snowmobile or ski (at Big Sky 45 miles away) then I would say go for it. We have taken the snow coach in the winter and it is beautiful, but March is a COLD time of year there. There are times when we (who are accustomed to the cold) cannot be outside for very long as the temps can be brutal this time of year. IMHO, the absolute best months to go to Yellowstone are September and October hands down. Summer is doable, but you have to make ressies fast and there is traffic. We take our kids every summer and in October and there's just so much more to see and do because you're not freezing your buns off. I'm a cross country skiier, and we spend EVERY Spring Break at Hebgen Lake which is 30 miles from West Yellowstone because my husband's mother has a house there. We love winter sports, but just be prepared for doing a lot of other things if you go then. Between winter and summer, for me anyways, Yellowstone Park is more amazing in the summer.

in Yellowstone last August and got snowed on! Boy was it cold the week we were there. But, it was one of the most beautiful places I have been to in the United States and can't wait to go back and wander some more.

good to know ! We will be on a car trip. so we will have plenty of room for coats etc!

West Yellowstone, MT actually has a city celebration in August called Christmas in August because it snowed there on Aug. 25th, about 25 years ago.

We were in Yellowstone in June-there was accumulaing snow, and some roads closed. I can't imagine what March would be like! I think Old Faithful Snow Lodge is open all year.

RangerPooh,

There is some misinformation in this thread-let me try to set the record straight. A little back ground on me is that I actually live and work in Yellowstone for a Park concessioner. If I don't know the answer to your question then I probably know exactly where to go to get you the information.

The Park is not really open during that time of year. In fact, the Mammoth Hotel will be closing on March 2, and re-opening probably sometime in early May for the Summer Season. The only other lodging open in the park during the Winter is the Old Faithful Snow Lodge which closes on March 9, and you would have to book a snowcoach to get to that location.

I would advise going early in the Summer season, and/or just after Roosevelt Lodge opens. During the peak of Summer Season there are tons of motorists on the road-not to mention the monster RVs that crowd the roads *roll eyes*. During the early and late parts of the season traffic diminishes drastically. Roosevelt's Old West Cookout is the most popular activity in the park, for good reason. I've been to the Cookout twice (and was actually PAID for going :goodvibes ) and had a really great experience both times. That activitiy is definately worth the price.

The lodging concessioner is Xanterra Park and Resorts and their website for Y'stone can be found here. Please be aware that lodging inside the Park is a very different experience than outside the Park. IMO, and to be very frank with you, the lodging inside the Park is not comparable to lodging just outside the Park in West Yellowstone or Gardiner. The Park hotels have very few modern amenities that travelers can enjoy. The two advantages that I can think of is that the Park hotels are closer to the attractions (Old Faithful, Grand Canyon, Y'stone Lake, etc.) and some are much more historic such as the Mammoth Hotel, Old Faithful Inn, and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. You save yourself a headache from driving hours to get to an attraction and then back to the hotel outside the park and save on gas money.

Another option is that if you are a camper then we have several NPS campgrounds that are available on a first-come first-serve basis (yes, campers can pay for showers at some Park hotels). Xanterra also operates four reservable campgrounds and operates one reservable RV park with full hook-ups (which is solely for hard-sided campers and RVs).

There are also programs that your family might be interested in with the Y'stone Association. The official NPS site for Y'stone can be found here-highly informative.

I have to mention some other area attractions that you might be interested in your visit to Y'stone.

Grizzly Wolf and Discovery Center-very popular center in West Yellowstone, Montana. There is also an IMAX theater featuring films about bears, Lewis and Clark, and of course Y'stone. The Playmill Theater, also in West, is a real treat for families. My hubby and I go every summer to at least one play.

In Cody, Wyoming there is the Buffalo Bill Historical Center-five museums in one~very educational and fun museum.

Chico Hot Springs Resort and Day Spa is just 45 minutes north of Gardiner, Montana. Many guests staying at this resort often visit Y'stone. The Resort has a very good fancy (and expensive) dining room, an inexpensive poolside grill, wonderful hot spring pools, and live music in the Saloon on weekends.

Also, pay a visit to Y'stone's sister park to the south-the Grand Tetons-it's only a 45 minute drive from Grant Village.

Hey EltonJohn, thanks for all the great info!

I have a question about the Old West Cookout - we're planning a trip to Yellowstone for the end of August/beginning of September - it looks like the last night for the cookout is August 31. We'll be staying at Mammoth Hot Springs the 29th and 30th, moving to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel on the 31st. If we wanted to do the cookout would it be better to do it on the 30th and drive back to Mammoth Hot Springs, or is it easier to drive back to Lake Yellowstone? Looks on the map like Mammoth Hot Springs is closer, but closer doesn't always mean easier. Is there still some light at 9:00 at that time of year?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the information EltonJohn - very informative.

We are campers with a smaller RV and would love to travel to Yellowstone. This is some fantastic information.

Thanks again.

Candace

ScooterL,

It is much easier to go to the cookout from Mammoth than from Lake~we had a lot of guests do that this past summer. Folks travelling from Rosy to Lake Hotel (pardon my slang) must go over Dunraven Pass. Travellers then go through go through Canyon Village and "America's Serengeti"-Hayden Valley. Hayden Valley is where you'll find large populations of bison and elk, and there is always a strong possibility of being stuck in an animal jam. My co-worker was stuck for two hours because a herd of bison refused to get off the road, and the cars in front of him had no experience moving through bison. Having written that keep in mind that the NPS has road projects going on during the summer so be sure to check the road projects before you make your plans.

I don't really keep track on sunsets/sunrises. However, I recently found a Yellowstone discussion board-I'm sure others on that board will have that information.

Hey EltonJohn, thanks for all the great info!

I have a question about the Old West Cookout - we're planning a trip to Yellowstone for the end of August/beginning of September - it looks like the last night for the cookout is August 31. We'll be staying at Mammoth Hot Springs the 29th and 30th, moving to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel on the 31st. If we wanted to do the cookout would it be better to do it on the 30th and drive back to Mammoth Hot Springs, or is it easier to drive back to Lake Yellowstone? Looks on the map like Mammoth Hot Springs is closer, but closer doesn't always mean easier. Is there still some light at 9:00 at that time of year?

Thanks!

Here's a sunrise, set site . . . http://www.gaisma.com/en/
Your dates are close to the equinox, so I'd estimate about 13 hours of light, but think dark at 9 p.m.

EJ - A bit OT - but Yellowstone related!
I've been trying to convince my wife that a summer job at YNP would be perfect for us. I'll soon be 60 . . . she is a little younger. We loved the 2 weeks there.
Thinking of a midsize trailer to live in. How has your experience been? Pros and cons?

What great information, EltonJohn!! Wow. We are just beginning to plan a Yellowstone trip for next summer (June or July 09). We'll be driving from Southern California, and have not a clue about where to begin in Yellowstone. It's so huge! Any tips on which end of the park to start with, if we're coming up from the south? We'd be 4-5 days in Yellowstone, to allow for travel time back/forth from California. Any tips on where to start our travels would be helpful. We've never been to that part of the country, and are very much looking forward to it. We try to hit a new National Park every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter