Yes i am capable of making my own choices but i want to know what tax payers think

If you’re volunteering at a school or something similar then likely you’re saving them money from having to use other tax payer money to hire someone for what you’re volunteering to do so I think it’s great!
I think her heart is in the right place and the idea is great, but the above is the very reason it would never happen in the district I live in. Volunteers can't do work that they would normally pay to have done. That's in all the union contracts. The PTA raised money for paint at the elementary school closest to my house because it needed paint. They got local licensed painting contractors to agree to come in on a weekend and paint the school for free. The district painters put a stop to that and said only people in their union making their union pay scale could paint the school. It was going to be another 3 years before they could get to it.
Also in the district I live in, volunteer opportunities where you might be in contact with students are limited to people with children in the school.
My brother tutors 2nd grade reading. He is paid (minimum wage) and can't stay beyond his paid hours because of union restrictions. That is a different district though.

I think her heart is in the right place and the idea is great, but the above is the very reason it would never happen in the district I live in. Volunteers can't do work that they would normally pay to have done. That's in all the union contracts. The PTA raised money for paint at the elementary school closest to my house because it needed paint. They got local licensed painting contractors to agree to come in on a weekend and paint the school for free. The district painters put a stop to that and said only people in their union making their union pay scale could paint the school. It was going to be another 3 years before they could get to it.
Also in the district I live in, volunteer opportunities where you might be in contact with students are limited to people with children in the school.
My brother tutors 2nd grade reading. He is paid (minimum wage) and can't stay beyond his paid hours because of union restrictions. That is a different district though.
Nope where i live all you need is fingerprints

We asked if we could paint our own classrooms and put murals up. It wasn't the union that stopped us, it was the OSHA and other agencies. You have use only approved paint brands in schools. We weren't even allowed to purchase the paint on our own because of the restrictions. The district and district maintenance department was going to help us paint, but we couldn't purchase the paint. We couldn't even donate the money to the district for the paint because of other restrictions.

Signed, a teacher who has had the same carpet in her classroom for the 31 years she been in that room.

We asked if we could paint our own classrooms and put murals up. It wasn't the union that stopped us, it was the OSHA and other agencies. You have use only approved paint brands in schools. We weren't even allowed to purchase the paint on our own because of the restrictions. The district and district maintenance department was going to help us paint, but we couldn't purchase the paint. We couldn't even donate the money to the district for the paint because of other restrictions.

Signed, a teacher who has had the same carpet in her classroom for the 31 years she been in that room.
They have been going crazy on remodeling and rebuilding schools here the past 5 years. Voters passed a bond measure to pay for that. The district has also cleaned up on Federal grants for things like Air Conditioning, and new fencing. The fencing one kind of made me angry. There was nothing wrong with the cyclone fencing they had, but there was free money for it and they just felt the wrought iron looked better.

Couldn't you volunteer and go to the gym? I work fulltime and find time for the gym 4-5 times a week. It's my stress reliever.
Yes did that last year with no problem just waiting to see the doctor on why my energy is so low my best is low irion started a iron suplment earlyier this week to soon to see if it will help or not

As a person with allergies...eww. One of the kindergarten classrooms at the school I work at was like that though. Decades-old carpet. When they finally took it up at the end of last year, you would not believe the nastiness that was under there!

Tink, please, please talk with a tax person. As I am dealing with issues right now with taxes . And you do not want any problems with them. They are not fooling with people. I care about you and want the best for you.....:hug:

She isn't talking about actual taxes. She is talking about feeling like she is a burden on the taxpayers since she receives disability.

Yes, and I’d imagine someone else handles that type of thing for her. Let’s not get the OP “loosing” sleep over her taxes, for heaven’s sake.
That would be good, but what I meant was something like, my disability is pain, is there a pain clinic? PTSD, with vets, etc.

Any volunteering would be good. There are food closets, shelters for families escaping abuse, scouting, libraries, museums, zoos, churches, cities, etc... that depend on volunteers. Lots of options, good luck and I think it’s a great idea.

I wouldn't worry what the taxpayers think, but an added bonus to volunteering is that you are developing references to help you when or if you decide to look for a paying job in the future.

I wouldn't worry what the taxpayers think, but an added bonus to volunteering is that you are developing references to help you when or if you decide to look for a paying job in the future.
If that happens I would go back to school because I am feed up with how teachers and students are treated in my district so i would go to school to look at other job opportunities

One thing I do not understand though is how come you can be on disability and collecting money but be able to volunteer places to work- why not get a paying job instead of volunteering and not get disability? Not being snarky-just wondering how that can be?

I could get my fingerprints for the private school and volunteer in kindergarten

I know that your volunteer experience is with little kids, but this may be why you are always sick. Little kids are germ balls. If you are worried about always getting sick, maybe look at a pet shelter, library, or other community outreach center to volunteer at.

One thing I do not understand though is how come you can be on disability and collecting money but be able to volunteer places to work- why not get a paying job instead of volunteering and not get disability? Not being snarky-just wondering how that can be?

Volunteer opportunities are useful for gaining important job skills. They often provide the person with more support than they would get with a regular job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter