Yes, your child is amazing

I have a question and I promise I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to understand this whole ceremony..

What happens if the player doesn't have parents that love him or can't be bothered to show up? Not everyone lives in a fairy tale and I can't imagine how awkward it would be for everyone if a players name was called and no one stood up for them.
Generally, the coach will know this, and will invite someone else to speak for the student.

We do something similar, but different for students being Confirmed at our church. The parents are asked to write a letter to the student. Other family members and close friends can also write. I have an only child. And I have written numerous letters. Many times it has been for former students of mine. Sometimes it is for someone that I know a little more casually, but they don't have many relatives that are willing to write the letter.

Generally, the coach will know this, and will invite someone else to speak for the student.

We do something similar, but different for students being Confirmed at our church. The parents are asked to write a letter to the student. Other family members and close friends can also write. I have an only child. And I have written numerous letters. Many times it has been for former students of mine. Sometimes it is for someone that I know a little more casually, but they don't have many relatives that are willing to write the letter.

So they get sympathy praise? That's almost worse..

And no one had sense enough to put a stop to the long winded bragging speech?

73465_L1.JPG

I live in a town full of people that would do something like this. Almost done. Almost done. That's my mantra. It always just boggles my mind that people are that self absorbed.

So they get sympathy praise? That's almost worse..
That's a pretty cynical and mean thing to say, actually. Do you think that kids with rough home situations are just worthless throw-aways that ought to simply get used to the fact that nobody loves them? There are tons of kids like that in every group and community - it is a BLESSING when someone else comes along side them and offers them encouragement and support. What would you want for your own kid if she didn't have you? :sad2:

Last edited:
That's a pretty cynical and mean thing to say, actually. Do you think that kids with rough home situations are just worthless throw-aways that ought to simply get used to the fact that nobody loves them? There are tons of kids like that in every group and community - it is a BLESSING when someone else comes along side them and offers them encouragement and support. What would you want for your own kid of she didn't have you? :sad2:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I think. Kids without parents are useless :rolleyes2

I have a question and I promise I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to understand this whole ceremony..

What happens if the player doesn't have parents that love him or can't be bothered to show up? Not everyone lives in a fairy tale and I can't imagine how awkward it would be for everyone if a players name was called and no one stood up for them.

There were a couple kids whose parents couldn't (or wouldn't, whatever the case may be) and either a family member such as a brother or uncle stepped in, and in one case, one of the coaches. We actually have a great parent base and there is a pretty small chance someone would miss doing this with their child barring work or being deployed. The one kid who had the coach step in, his dad was working in Atlanta and was literally on a plane that was delayed and couldn't get there in time. The teacher/coach stepped in and actually read a text message from the dad to the son, plus said a few things of his own. The mom passed away from cancer the child's freshman year. Believe me, there wasn't a dry eye in that room!

They instruct the boys and the parents (or whoever gets the notes/emails home) that if a parent or family member cannot make it, to let them know and a coach will step in.

Yep, during graduation parents/family/friends/relatives were instructed NOT to bring air horns, cowbells, signs, etc and to keep the ceremony professional. Security searched bags thoroughly, yet some were able to bring these in and caused a huge disruption when their kids' names were called. The district rented a huge arena, so some of the rules were regarding conduct at the event center. Sad parents feel the need to overcompensate for their kids.

UGH! How embarrassing for the kid! It's always astonishing to me how entitled and self absorbed some people are.
I'm so glad my daughters' sports team does not do this. As it is, I can't even sit at practice lest be cornered by moms going on about how the coach told them their kid is the only talented kid on the entire team or how gifted all of their family members are. I can't imagine handing a few specific parents a microphone and audience.

Last edited:
My son received an award for football in his senior, it was a big award, we were shocked to say the least. When the coach was presenting it before he said his name, my husband said he Hmmmmmm..... could he be talking about our kid? Went right over my head.
Anyway, we were not notified nor asked to speak, it was his and the coaches moment, because I felt the coach made him the player he was..... If that makes any sense at all.

We were so proud of him of course, but I wish it would have been an academic award with a scholarship included......YKWIM????? LOL

Events like this NEED a good MC to keep the evening moving. Somebody with the courage and the tact to graciously cut things off at a reasonable time limit. Set the expectation up front in the initial communication. "Out of respect for all attendees and in the interest of time, all presentations will be cut off at two minutes." Then follow through.

I see similar at graduations of all ages all the time. When people are told to hold their applause until the end. There's always one family who thinks they're the exception. The consequence being that the audience doesn't get to hear the name of the next graduate on the list.

Events like this NEED a good MC to keep the evening moving. Somebody with the courage and the tact to graciously cut things off at a reasonable time limit. Set the expectation up front in the initial communication. "Out of respect for all attendees and in the interest of time, all presentations will be cut off at two minutes." Then follow through.

I see similar at graduations of all ages all the time. When people are told to hold their applause until the end. There's always one family who thinks they're the exception. The consequence being that the audience doesn't get to hear the name of the next graduate on the list.
:worship: Totally!

Embarrassing for the kid, absolutely rude and inconsiderate of the parents to take so much time from the ceremony; kid's parents are probably narcissists and are raising another one- kid is an extension of themselves instead of being a person in his own right. Really dislike people like this.

I feel bad for ALL of those kids. How embarrassing to have your parents stand up and proclaim their love for you and how proud they are and why. There's nothing wrong with telling your kid you love them, obviously, but why force parents to do it in such a public place. And to have to listen to 50 sets of parents do it? Barf

ITA. I understand that it's now a tradition that both parents and kids look forward to, but personally I think it's awkward, at best. I think it's odd that you are TOLD what to say to your kid, and odd that it goes on and on, every kid. I know my kid would have been crawling under the table or just plain refused to go (as she did for similar things at her high school).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!