Yet another stadium name sponsor changes - AT&T Park is now Oracle Park

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...me-san-francisco-giants-stadium-replacing-att

I remember when it opened, the name Pacific Bell Park had a fairly nice ring to it.

DSCN0039.JPG

Then SBC and Pacific Telesis merged and they took on the awkward sounding SBC Park.

sbc_park.jpg

When SBC bought out the post-breakup AT&T, the AT&T Park name was the one that lasted the longest.

800px-AT%26T_Park_Sign_%28TK1%29.JPG

The AT&T Park signs are reportedly going down right now and will be replaced by temporary "Oracle Park" banners by tomorrow - pending the construction of the permanent signs. Also - Oracle Arena in Oakland will lose its sponsorship at the end of the Warriors season. It remains to be seen if there will be any named sponsor. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but Chase Center will be the new home of the Golden State Warriors next year. It's going to stay open and is still a pretty good place for concerts and other events. It might even be the nicest arena in the US that doesn't have an NBA team.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...me-san-francisco-giants-stadium-replacing-att

I remember when it opened, the name Pacific Bell Park had a fairly nice ring to it.

DSCN0039.JPG

Then SBC and Pacific Telesis merged and they took on the awkward sounding SBC Park.

sbc_park.jpg

When SBC bought out the post-breakup AT&T, the AT&T Park name was the one that lasted the longest.

The AT&T Park signs are reportedly going down right now and will be replaced by temporary "Oracle Park" banners by tomorrow - pending the construction of the permanent signs. Also - Oracle Arena in Oakland will lose its sponsorship at the end of the Warriors season. It remains to be seen if there will be any named sponsor. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but Chase Center will be the new home of the Golden State Warriors next year. It's going to stay open and is still a pretty good place for concerts and other events. It might even be the nicest arena in the US that doesn't have an NBA team.

There is a stadium here in Melbourne that has had a similar history with naming rights. It’s been open less than 20 years but has had 4 different names. It started off as Colonial Stadium, then 2 years later became Telstra Dome, then became Etihad Stadium and then last year Disney bought the rights and it became:
4934AD42-0F3A-44AB-B3B2-3242ABD07C6D.jpeg

There is a stadium here in Melbourne that has had a similar history with naming rights. It’s been open less than 20 years but has had 4 different names. It started off as Colonial Stadium, then 2 years later became Telstra Dome, then became Etihad Stadium and then last year Disney bought the rights and it became:
View attachment 374614

Been there done that. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum started off with that name and had it for years. The first proposal to sponsor the name was from the Taiwanese company UMAX. The proposal was killed because there was a strong opposition to how it sounded. The next year it became the Network Associates Coliseum named after a software company. Then Network Associates was sold to McAfee and it became the McAfee Coliseum. Then the internet commerce retailer Overstock.com had it renamed to the Overstock.com Coliseum. Then after they changed their name it became the O.co Coliseum. So it's been five different names in 20 years, plus one that was nixed for sounding silly. In the end a few of the names actually were.

Still not quite as odd as the stadium that the now Oracle Park replaced as home of the San Francisco Giants. It had a bunch of names, but the sponsor name that lasted the longest was 3COM Park.

I don't even remember it being SBC park, how long did that last? I thought it went from Pac-Bell to AT&T.

I don't even remember it being SBC park, how long did that last? I thought it went from Pac-Bell to AT&T.

Two seasons. Still - all the names were of phone companies, and one nickname that stuck through all of them was "The Phone Booth", although that might not make sense to kids these days.

Germain arena now hertz arena... can you guess what they want to do with the arena building? Yup.. that bright bold color... heard it was not getting approved tho friend told me they see some Bright yellow going up.
By the by .. germain owns everything it seems.. I’m ok with a change.

I really don't want our NFL or MLB stadiums to turn into sponsored ones.

That said our soccer stadium started with a partnership with LiveStrong Foundation and was called LiveStrong Sporting Park. The name was dropped when the scandals with Livestrong occurred. Then it was simply known as Sporting Park named for the Sporting Club (which is/was planned to have multiple sports underneath it) It's now got a partnership with Children's Mercy Hospital and is called Children's Mercy Park.

There's been an amphitheatre that has switched names over the years. Presently it's Providence Medical Center Amphitheater. Since 1984 it's been:
Sandstone Center for the Performing Arts (1983–93)
Sandstone Amphitheater (1993–2002, 2008)
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (2002–07)
Capitol Federal Park at Sandstone (2008-12)
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater(2012-15)

Sandstone is still common enough or at least that's what I hear enough people still refer it as.

There's probably a few other examples out there I'm not thinking about.

I really don't want our NFL or MLB stadiums to turn into sponsored ones.

That said our soccer stadium started with a partnership with LiveStrong Foundation and was called LiveStrong Sporting Park. The name was dropped when the scandals with Livestrong occurred. Then it was simply known as Sporting Park named for the Sporting Club (which is/was planned to have multiple sports underneath it) It's now got a partnership with Children's Mercy Hospital and is called Children's Mercy Park.

There's been an amphitheatre that has switched names over the years. Presently it's Providence Medical Center Amphitheater. Since 1984 it's been:
Sandstone Center for the Performing Arts (1983–93)
Sandstone Amphitheater (1993–2002, 2008)
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (2002–07)
Capitol Federal Park at Sandstone (2008-12)
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater(2012-15)

Sandstone is still common enough or at least that's what I hear enough people still refer it as.

There's probably a few other examples out there I'm not thinking about.

It's gotten pretty interesting with the concert venues around here. LiveNation operates two around here. As far as I remember, Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California has never had a named sponsor. Concord Pavilion was renamed Sleep Train Pavilion after a mattress retailer (they also had Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento where the Kings played) but that ended after the new owner (Mattress Firm) decided to rename those stores.

DSCN0039.JPG

sbc_park.jpg

I recently retired from AT&T and when PacBell Park was announced for the Giants, we as employees were given the option of buying season ticket options and paying via payroll deductions. I could not afford it at that time and now I really can’t afford season tickets...☹️

I recently retired from AT&T and when PacBell Park was announced for the Giants, we as employees were given the option of buying season ticket options and paying via payroll deductions. I could not afford it at that time and now I really can’t afford season tickets...☹️

I remember when it opened. It actually wasn't that expensive depending on the seating location. I remember back when the left field bleacher tickets were $10 each. The center field and standing room tickets were $9 each. I wasn't a Giants fan, but I enjoyed baseball and sat in those seats a few times. Not sure what the full season ticket price (and I don't believe they've ever had partial season ticket packages available) was but I'm thinking it was a discount from that. I've bought tickets from scalpers that were sold at a season ticket face value that were cheaper than the single ticket prices. I recall they would also have several hundred bleacher seats available on the day of the game for walkup sales.

Then the prices started creeping up, including pricing depend on the day of the week and or the opponent. Now it's "dynamic" pricing for single seat sales. I think the sellout streak ended a while ago.

This will forever be Pac Bell Park to me, I don't care. My friends and I queued for $10 center field bleacher seats on game day all the time those first few years...you had to get there pretty early to be in the first 500 but we were high school kids on summer break so we didn't mind.

I still refer to these places by their pre-sponsor names. I saw my first concert at the Oakland Colliseum. The Sharks play at the San Jose Arena (also known as the Shark Tank). And Spartan Stadium will always be the home of the San Jose State Spartans!

When the Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985 and they sold the naming rights to their arena to ARCO there was a Journalist debate about whether to use the name ARCO Arena in news stories. The Newspaper and the big News TV station did not use ARCO Arena in their stories, it was called "Kings Arena"

As a Giants fan, I'm mostly surprised by how quickly this happened! But I don't really mind the change. I just wonder if left-handed hitters being robbed of homers will be called "getting Oracl'd" now.

As a Giants fan, I'm mostly surprised by how quickly this happened! But I don't really mind the change. I just wonder if left-handed hitters being robbed of homers will be called "getting Oracl'd" now.

Oh. Seen it. I saw a game where Barry Bonds stood and admired this majestic towering shot just go into the night sky, where it landed 2 feet off the top of the arcade wall. He ended up on 3rd because it too so long for the center fielder to get to it, but he would have had an inside the park HR if he had even just jogged to 1st and taken off when he saw it hit the wall.

Oh. Seen it. I saw a game where Barry Bonds stood and admired this majestic towering shot just go into the night sky, where it landed 2 feet off the top of the arcade wall. He ended up on 3rd because it too so long for the center fielder to get to it, but he would have had an inside the park HR if he had even just jogged to 1st and taken off when he saw it hit the wall.

Ha, I just mean that I've often seen that phenomenon called being "AT&T'd"! So the update actually sounds cooler.

Ha, I just mean that I've often seen that phenomenon called being "AT&T'd"! So the update actually sounds cooler.

Sure. In the same game I saw a similar shot from the opposing team. That player looked really ticked off, because it would have been a HR in pretty much any other stadium in MLB. It's not just that it's 420 feet, but also 20+ ft high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts