Yikes! Disney Tokyo to stop Annual Passes

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
Just finished watching Food Blog Video (Yes, I spend a great deal of time watching You Tube Disney Videos, LOL). And they mentioned that Disney Tokyo Japan was going to discontinue Annual Passes. I almost feinted. Here we are sometimes complaining about the cost of our APs, etc. but OMG what if Disney World did that. In Japan, they won't renew any passes that expire the end of February 2021. :crazy2: >:(:crazy2:

Give that Tokyo is run by the government I wouldn;'t read much int it as to what will happen in the US.

I agree they wouldn't do that at WDW - I do wonder what would happen at DLR just knowing it is a much higher % of guests that are passholders than WDW and I think they would have the same thing where you have to do a lottery or something and a ton of passholders would be shut out of being able to go to the park

Fair point. I was thinking china. Point was disney corporate doesn't make these decisions in Tokyo so has no bearing to what will/could happen in the US.
And just as a clarification, Disney does have ownership interests in all other parks. They don’t have a majority in China but they do still have some ownership. Tokyo is a licensing deal.

And just as a clarification, Disney does have ownership interests in all other parks. They don’t have a majority in China but they do still have some ownership. Tokyo is a licensing deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Tokyo decisions like offering season passes or not are ultimtely up to the group in Toyko and not a decision disney would be making? They may have input but the final decision isn't theirs. Correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Tokyo decisions like offering season passes or not are ultimtely up to the group in Toyko and not a decision disney would be making? They may have input but the final decision isn't theirs. Correct?
Tokyo makes all of those decisions. Like I said the Tokyo parks are owned by OLC and the rights are licensed to them by Disney. OLC uses Imagineering for their projects though. Hong Kong and Shanghai are majority owned by the governments but Disney does have minority ownership in those. Disney is majority owner in Paris and then of course sole owner of the domestic parks.

They already brought back fireworks, parades, and increased capacity. They are probably selling out their limited capacity without annual passes so discontinuing those to make more money. Japan is also offering tourism incentives so they probably are hoping to attract bigger spenders than local annual passholders.

They already brought back fireworks, parades, and increased capacity. They are probably selling out their limited capacity without annual passes so discontinuing those to make more money. Japan is also offering tourism incentives so they probably are hoping to attract bigger spenders than local annual passholders.

Just anecdotally from watching some passholders there that go month after month without getting anything in the lottery so I think they had to do something

As much as WDW have challenges with the 3 park reservations at a time limit it is way tougher over there on passholders

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts