Yikes flying with a 1 yr old BOY

Count yourself among the many lucky parents without a strong-willed child or a child with a diagnosed behavior issue. Unless you have one, you cannot possibly understand. I know this because I was one of those parents until my youngest came along.

My kids are no different then anyone else's. They were toddlers once too and they would take off and do other toddlers things. The difference is that I didn't let them get away with it like you see so many parents do now. It's our job as parents to teach them proper behavior. No, I did not let my kids scream in public or run around a restaurant. They behaved or we left. That meant that we did not take them certain places if they could not behave, like parents have been doing since forever. If you allow bad behavior, they only get worse and worse. We have all heard the term "nip it in the bud". No statement is more true when raising kids then that one.

Gotta love that boy energy! When my son was 1, I was 32 weeks pregnant (also dealing with severe hyperemesis) and also had a 5 yo in tow. I flew cross country to visit my parents. I expected the worst since he was so energetic and I was worried that I'd have a tough time dealing with it being so sick as well. I think expecting the worst made the trip so much better - he did great! He had flown before but it was my first time flying with 2 kids while pregnant alone. He was very busy but listened and sat when he was supposed to. Lots of little snacks, Wiki Sticks, Color Wonder, and back then our portable DVD player made the trip so much easier. And of course lots of running time during our connection to burn off that energy!

My kids are no different then anyone else's. They were toddlers once too and they would take off and do other toddlers things. The difference is that I didn't let them get away with it like you see so many parents do now. It's our job as parents to teach them proper behavior. No, I did not let my kids scream in public or run around a restaurant. They behaved or we left. That meant that we did not take them certain places if they could not behave, like parents have been doing since forever. If you allow bad behavior, they only get worse and worse. We have all heard the term "nip it in the bud". No statement is more true when raising kids then that one.
My kids are almost all adults, I find as time goes by more people over-parent. Back in my day, kids weren’t supervised. My mom was a SAHM, I have zero memories of going to the grocery store, I’m sure I just played outside with the neighborhood kids. I think we went out to dinner maybe once a year with our parents (they went out a lot, we had a ton of babysitters). I was blessed with 4 easy kids and 1 who we lost all of the time (not on purp).

Remember anything that makes noise needs to be used with headphones. They do make kiddie ones. Hearing the same cartoon over and over for hours on end is no better than hearing a child scream. And most FAs will tell you headphones need to be worn, or the sound turned off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter