Yinzers Unite! BBQ Chipped Chopped Ham - Pickle Relish, Yeah or Nay?

Do you use Pickle Relish in your Chipped Chopped Ham BBQ?

• I'm dahn wit pickles n'at!

• Yinz is nutz!

• Takeela or sumpin else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I miss my Tom Tucker Mint Gingerale, Eat 'n Park, Quaker Steak 'n Lube, chipped ham, yins, making jokes about how bad the pirate are, and having snow for 90% of the winter. :sad:

Alright yinz guyz....Here's a poll for you. I was reading an article on CNN that was talking about Braddock. It had a link to Islay's Chipped Chopped Ham BBQ.

My wife always makes it with Pickle Relish. I Like it without. What's your preference???

Uhm, like I totally don't understand a word you are saying. Like, at all.

Hey, how yinz doin'? :thumbsup2

I make my ham bbq with Heinz chili sauce and some diced onions. No relish.

NJ native living in wash., pa now. Yes, I live in Wooorshington! I love Isaly' s chipped ham but I've yet to have ham bbq but I think I would like it w/o relish.

....as soon as I read the word "Yinz", I just KNEW you were from the Pittsburgh area!:rotfl2:

Yep!!!::yes:: We live in Houston now, but my sister and I talk about Chipped ham all the time. We're not huge fans but I would love to have a Chipped ham sandwich for old time sake.:):)

Thanks for reminding me of this childhood food. I'm 90 min. north of Pittsburgh and we ate this all the time. But I thought Isaly's was from my local area because we had an Isaly's store/ice cream place (haha). Is it from Pittsburgh or somewhere else?

Thanks for reminding me of this childhood food. I'm 90 min. north of Pittsburgh and we ate this all the time. But I thought Isaly's was from my local area because we had an Isaly's store/ice cream place (haha). Is it from Pittsburgh or somewhere else?

Isaly's was originally from Ohio. I think though that Pittsburgh was the largest market so it became somewhat synonymous with Pittsburgh. That and it was sold to a Western PA family in the 80's.

I have no idea what you are asking, but I read the word Ham and I am not a fan. I occasionally eat BBQ here now that I moved to the South, but I don't seek it out, I eat it when others want it or I am served it.

I know I am odd. I don't like ham much at all.

Lebo native here and my DH is from Penn Hills. When we were home for the holidays my MIL sent me to get some lunch meat and the lady at the "Gian Iggle" and I got in a great conversation about chipped ham and how she always takes pounds of it to her brother in NC when she visits. It just isnt the same anywhere else. We had BBQs for lunch that day and they were sooooo good! There was no pickle relish in them but I do like them with relish.

Lebo native here and my DH is from Penn Hills. When we were home for the holidays my MIL sent me to get some lunch meat and the lady at the "Gian Iggle" and I got in a great conversation about chipped ham and how she always takes pounds of it to her brother in NC when she visits. It just isnt the same anywhere else. We had BBQs for lunch that day and they were sooooo good! There was no pickle relish in them but I do like them with relish.

My sister-in-law and family live in Durham and we take them some as well when we visit. :thumbsup2

I had to read this as soon as I saw "Yinz". I'm about 30 minutes north of the city so I'm exposed to Pittsburghese quite a bit.
Butler? I grew up in Butler (born in Pixburgh) but moved out to the middle of nowhere up near I-80.

That may be wikipedia's definition, but it's not Pittsburgh's! It's just ham from the deli that's been thinly sliced and then chopped/chipped up. Unless I'm not understanding right after 28 years of living here! Oh no! What if I've been living like a faker all these years?!?! Eek!
Chiped chopped ham and chipped ham are 2 different things. Isaly's chipped chopped ham is a particular product. You are describing just the process of slicing ham lunchmeat really really thin. Chipped ham the process is sliced so thin that it doesn't get complete slices and ends up being chipped off little by little.

Haven't had Isaly's since I was a kid.

Oh, and no pickle. The recipe I use and brought to my marriage is a recipe my grandmother saw on either WTAE or WPXI way back in the 70's I think, can't remember the guy who gave it, and my grandma lost it so she called the station and asked for it again.

And honestly, I know people love the Pittsburghese', but I know very few people that actually say n'at or dahntahn- even from my family that has lived here for over 100 years.
My mother does and we've been out of Pittsburgh since 1980. She says "n'at" a lot and also would drive to Worshington instead of Washington and worshes her clothes rather than washes. I make fun of her telling her she wouldn't eat squorsh (squash), would she? I also hear it every day on the news. They do talk like that in Pittsburgh.

I loved Isalys chocolate chip ice cream. It had jimmies in it, not chocolate chunks.
Ah, not many here are going to know what "jimmies" are either, LOL. They are sprinkles everywhere outside of Pittsburgh.

I miss my Tom Tucker Mint Gingerale, Eat 'n Park, Quaker Steak 'n Lube, chipped ham, yins, making jokes about how bad the pirate are, and having snow for 90% of the winter.
Only 2 seasons in Pittsburgh. Snow and road construction, though the snow down below Butler and into Pittsburgh isn't anything like it is here on I-80 which isn't anything like how ridiculous it is in Erie.

ADisneyQueen said:
Well, now that sounds like you are right in my back yard.

Butler? I grew up in Butler (born in Pixburgh) but moved out to the middle of nowhere up near I-80.

I was born in Shadyside and grew up there, but I lived in Butler for almost 4 years. My address was 115 Mountain Laurel Dr. Right behind the country club.

My mother does and we've been out of Pittsburgh since 1980. She says "n'at" a lot and also would drive to Worshington instead of Washington and worshes her clothes rather than washes. I make fun of her telling her she wouldn't eat squorsh (squash), would she? I also hear it every day on the news. They do talk like that in Pittsburgh.

My parents also say "worsh" and it drives me nuts. Now, I am not saying that people from Pittsburgh don't' speak Pittsburghese at all, BUT, I rarely ever heard n'at or dahntan. I went to Point Park and worked at KDKA-TV for 6 years. None of my classmates/professors or co-workers ever said that. If they did it was because we were making fun of people!

Loving this thread!

We're actually having Ham BBQ for supper tonight! Then we'll red up and take out the rubbish.

I was born in Shadyside and grew up there, but I lived in Butler for almost 4 years. My address was 115 Mountain Laurel Dr. Right behind the country club.

Hi Princesspiglet, I grew up in Shadyside, too. Still here. I love this neighborhood. I remember when there was a Kroger's and an Islay's on Walnut St.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter