yosemite 2011 must see things...

clearblu

Earning My Ears
What are the top things to see do and in yosemite? will we be mostly cooking our own meals? are there restuarants?

OMG, where do I begin. You have to go to Glacier Point. You have to see all of the waterfalls. I take it you are camping, so you will have lots of time to enjoy the valley. We had lunch at the Wawona and it was very tasty. We also ate at the Pizza place at Camp Curry. Of course, lunch or dinner at the Ahwahnee would be special.

You can check out my trip report below in my sig for more highlights! Have a great trip!

horseback trail ride with Charlie(a woman). She was fantastic- we did the earliest morning ride and Mirror Lake was awesome, I think it was the best part of our trip. It was really cold though and we were there early May and had to wear coats and gloves. Bring a camera you can operate with only 1 hand (required).

We walked the mist trail and visited the dam as well. You can check out our pictures and get an idea of what to do. We didn't eat out but once and it was more fast food type so I can't answer that one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curbcrusher/collections/72157623932382101/

Have a good time!

to add to Op's question-is 3 nights enough time for Yosemite? we're staying in a tent cabin.....I want to go on the horse rides!:thumbsup2

Of course, lunch or dinner at the Ahwahnee would be special.
I agree! But even if you don't eat at the Ahwahnee, it is definitely worth a visit.

We particularly enjoy hikes at the various falls -- such as Bridalveil, Yosemite Falls, and Vernal Fall.

Woody

I think the answer to the question depends on how much time you have in Yosemite? The monumental landmarks are yosemite falls, half dome, glacier point, and el capitan. Do you want to stay in the touristy area of yosemite valley, or venture out into the winderness?

I also take it that you are camping. Are you staying in the valley or outside the valley? Things to see are

Glacier Point/Washburn Point - Views are spectacular. You will reach Washburn Point a couple of minutes before you reach Glacier Point - stop there for some great picture taking, and one of the only places to see Illouette Falls (also called Hidden Falls from the Mist Trail to Vernal Falls) make sure you go to the end that overlooks the valley. Glacier Point has magnificent views of the valley. Be sure to walk the little trail to the end so you can see Yosemite Falls and the valley below

The Valley - this is so beautiful, and you can easily walk to the base of Bridalveil and Yosemite Falls. You can also take a trail (can be steep at points) to the base of Vernal Falls (there is a bridge there), or you can hike to the top of Vernal, Nevada, or Yosemite Falls. There is also an interesting visitor center there, and I highly recommend visiting. They have a replica of a little native american (I think they are the Miwok tribe) village, plus you can see how the valley was created, etc.

Trip to Mariposa Grove (southern entrance) will also take you by Inspiration Point, which gives you one of the most famous views of the valley. The Mariposa Grove is a grove of giant sequoias. During the summer you can take a tram to see some of the more famous trees. You can take the tram round-trip, take it one way & hike/walk back (we usually do this), or just hike the trails. On the way back stop at Wawona to see the Pioneer Center. We sometimes picnic here. There is a stream from the Chilnuana Falls with some nice swimming holes in this area.

Tioga Road to Tuolomne Meadows. A trip to Tuolomne Meadows is also very nice. These meadows are about 9,000 ft up (3,000 meters or so), and there is a lake and a stream that goes through them. Again, just beautiful, with some spectacular scenery, and worth a trip up there. We like to picnic next to Tenaya Lake up there.

You can rent bikes at Curry Village and ride the bike trails, you can hike along the valley floor, or take the trails up the mountains.

Yosemite is my favorite place on Earth, so I go there whenever I can. :)

There are decent places to eat at Yosemite Lodge and in Yosemite Village (all in the valley. The places to eat in Curry can be crowded and disorganized with long waits.

Be very bear aware if taking and cooking your own food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter