Yosemite and Disneyland

I stayed at the Yosemite Lodge a couple of years ago, in the 'environmental room' on the 2nd floor, and it was really nice. It worked for a quick getaway since I wasn't going to tent camp.

The tent cabins are the most "economical" in the valley, and have stayed in them before, too. They also have hard-walled cabins without (and a few with) bathrooms. I stayed in one, and it was very rustic. I don't mind going to the communal restroom, though.

I prefer Housekeeping to the tent cabins only because I can have a campfire and cook my own food (take my little camp stove). The downside is that there are a lot of people there, so it can be a little noisy. The upside is that it is right next to the river, so you can go picnic by it, or swim in it, depending on the time of year and flow of water.

I prefer Housekeeping to the tent cabins only because I can have a campfire and cook my own food (take my little camp stove). The downside is that there are a lot of people there, so it can be a little noisy. The upside is that it is right next to the river, so you can go picnic by it, or swim in it, depending on the time of year and flow of water.

Housekeeping is like a hastily built third-world refugee camp that was built decades ago but managed to remain in place.

l.jpg

There are some upgrades. I've seen photos where some of those makeshift-looking fences were replaced by ones with cut board lumber.

I managed to snag a campsite this summer. $20/night. However, shower facilities aren't included, and Curry Village charges $5/day for showers (I supposed you could do it twice the same day after hiking). I remember when they weren't terribly strict about payment. Once I even went to the front desk and wanted to pay, and the young clerk refused to take my money - telling me that they didn't have anyone to check. I'd paid before and wasn't even given a receipt. It was solely on the honor system.

I am so glad I found this thread! We are planning a Yosemite and DL trip for May 2015. I'm struggling with where to stay at Yosemite.

It looks like our only in-park options involve public bathrooms or the Awahanee Hotel. The private bathroom options are booked.

Has anyone stayed at the Wawona Hotel? I'm curious about how the group bathroom and showers work.

I appreciate those who explained the Housekeeping Cabins. I'm not opposed to staying there.

We are flying in so we won't have any camping gear. The fire rings do sound appealing for making s'mores.

Also, is there any benefit to renting bikes to get around?

Finally, is it important to stay in the park at all? We tend to prefer being in the heart of the fun but if there's not much happening in the park after dark then maybe we will get a room with a private bath at the Tenaya Lodge.

I am so glad I found this thread! We are planning a Yosemite and DL trip for May 2015. I'm struggling with where to stay at Yosemite.

It looks like our only in-park options involve public bathrooms or the Awahanee Hotel. The private bathroom options are booked.

Has anyone stayed at the Wawona Hotel? I'm curious about how the group bathroom and showers work.

I appreciate those who explained the Housekeeping Cabins. I'm not opposed to staying there.

We are flying in so we won't have any camping gear. The fire rings do sound appealing for making s'mores.

Also, is there any benefit to renting bikes to get around?

Finally, is it important to stay in the park at all? We tend to prefer being in the heart of the fun but if there's not much happening in the park after dark then maybe we will get a room with a private bath at the Tenaya Lodge.

I went recently, so....

If you can stay inside, by all means do. There are late night programs. I've driven out of the park at night, and it's a little bit hairy driving those roads when it's dark.

Communal bathrooms are pretty self-explanatory. It's a lot like a college dorm. I showered at Curry Village, and they have single-sex shower rooms with partitioned stalls and a common drainage floor. Each stall has two curtains - one for the shower and the other where you can change. No doors though like some communal shower rooms.

I was just in Yosemite last weekend, and stayed in Housekeeping. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. The units looked pretty well kept, and though there were quite a few groups they respected the quiet hours (that made me happy).

The communal showers, at least for the women, consist of a door, tiny dressing area, and a shower with a curtain. They provide liquid soap & shampoo, and towels. The tiny dressing area had a seat that you could sit on or set your stuff on, and a hook. I opted for a bag for my clothes & hung it on the door.

Wawona hotel was built in the 1920's, and is about 15 minutes into the park from the southern entrance. You'll be close to Mariposa Grove (giant sequoia trees), and about a half hour - 45 minutes from the Valley and Glacier Point.

Tenaya Lodge is 2 miles outside the southern entrance, and you will be driving to the valley and Glacier Point.

OP here :)

We are trying to finalize our plans so we can be ready to book Yosemite Lodge (they have private bathrooms right???) and VGC.

When we leave Yosemite we will hit Mariposa Grove on our way to Anaheim. From there I understand it will be about a 6 hour drive. Is there anywhere worth stopping along the way, maybe even to spend the night to break it up? My kids will be 6 and 8.

Thanks!

OP here :)

We are trying to finalize our plans so we can be ready to book Yosemite Lodge (they have private bathrooms right???) and VGC.

When we leave Yosemite we will hit Mariposa Grove on our way to Anaheim. From there I understand it will be about a 6 hour drive. Is there anywhere worth stopping along the way, maybe even to spend the night to break it up? My kids will be 6 and 8.

Thanks!

Harris Ranch Inn and Restaurant. Perhaps not if you have a strong aversion to the smell of cattle. Some people aren't prepared for it, and it's a huge shock to the senses. The Harris Ranch feedlot has about 10,000 head of cattle being fattened before slaughter, and you can imagine what that smells like. There are some nicknames for the place I'll avoid using in the name of good taste. They have great steaks. Never stayed at the inn though. You'd need to go a little bit further to I-5, but it's not a huge detour. A straight shot would be going down CA-99 from Fresno until it meets up with I-5, but this detour might take less than a half hour additional time.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ldg07

There are a lot of places you could stay along the way. These tend to be cheaper than around Los Angeles or Orange County.

And yeah - all rooms at Yosemite Lodge have their own bathrooms.

If you don't want to stay at Harris Ranch, you can check out Visalia (3 hours from Los Angeles), or Bakersfield (2 hours from Los Angeles). There are a few places for lodging there. If you want to drive a bit more, you can stop at Visalia. Magic Mountains is there, as well as a nice waterpark.

Thanks! What about Sequoia National Park? How far out of the way is that?

I'm thinking we could skip Mariposa Grove and drive to Sequoia to visit and spend a night somewhere there?

Just not sure of the drive times.

We drove home from Yosemite via Sequoia. It will take 3 hours to get to Sequoia from Yosemite. You can drive through there and see some sights. If you do this I recommend going to Grants Grove in Kings Canyon. You will also drive through a sequoia grove called the Lost Grove where you can take pictures. The General Sherman is located in the Giant Forest portion of Sequoia. It's the largest living thing on Earth. You can visit and walk to that three and walk around. You leave Sequoia through the southern route on Hwy 198, and that will take you to Visalia.

The drive from Giant Forest to Los Angeles is about 5.5 hours.

If you do want to spend an extra night before heading to Los Angeles, go way west, and head to San Luis Obispo and spend a night somewhere near the coast.

Thanks! What about Sequoia National Park? How far out of the way is that?

I'm thinking we could skip Mariposa Grove and drive to Sequoia to visit and spend a night somewhere there?

Just not sure of the drive times.

SEKI is a better place to see sequoia than Yosemite. However, many people are already visiting Yosemite, and Mariposa Grove is convenient. The "biggest" tree in Mariposa Grove is Grizzly Giant, and that lost its top quite a while ago.

Grant Grove is convenient because it's closer to Fresno. Giant Forest has the star attractions, but that's further along Generals Highway.

Grant Grove is sort of strange because they call it "Kings Canyon" even though it's separate from the rest. It was part of the former General Grant National Park, which was essentially just an isolated spot of land until KCNP was created in 1940 and they decided to add General Grant NP to it. A few decades ago they added to Kings Canyon NP with land that was part of Sequoia National Forest, including Redwood Canyon Grove - that essentially connects with Grant Grove to the boundary of Sequoia NP. Redwood Canyon Grove is spectacular, but you need to be willing to spend several hours. Nothing is paved and none of the trees are identified with signs. You can go off trail and even touch the trees. There's so little visitation that they don't consider it an issue for the health of the trees.

Getting to Giant Forest and down to Visalia might take some time depending on construction. They've been slowly working on the road for years. I last visited in 2007, and remember something like a 45 minute delay.

If you're looking for places to stay, there's more than just the NPS areas. There's a lodge in the Giant Sequoia National Monument area of Sequoia National Forest between Giant Forest and Grant Grove. If you don't mind rustic cabins, there Grant Grove village cabins are pretty cheap and kind of fun if you like that sort of thing. They remind me of the primitive cabins that my folks took me to at Lake Tahoe, as well as the old Giant Forest Village cabins (since removed) that I stayed in as a kid.

SEKImap-360-degree-Panoramas-Icons.jpg

You're looking at a lot of driving though, and estimates don't take into account construction delays on Generals Highway. I'd frankly just recommend Mariposa Grove unless you have another day. The last time I was at SEKI I spent four nights.

http://goo.gl/maps/4unQo

SEKI is a better place to see sequoia than Yosemite. However, many people are already visiting Yosemite, and Mariposa Grove is convenient. The "biggest" tree in Mariposa Grove is Grizzly Giant, and that lost its top quite a while ago.

Grant Grove is convenient because it's closer to Fresno. Giant Forest has the star attractions, but that's further along Generals Highway.

Grant Grove is sort of strange because they call it "Kings Canyon" even though it's separate from the rest. It was part of the former General Grant National Park, which was essentially just an isolated spot of land until KCNP was created in 1940 and they decided to add General Grant NP to it. A few decades ago they added to Kings Canyon NP with land that was part of Sequoia National Forest, including Redwood Canyon Grove - that essentially connects with Grant Grove to the boundary of Sequoia NP. Redwood Canyon Grove is spectacular, but you need to be willing to spend several hours. Nothing is paved and none of the trees are identified with signs. You can go off trail and even touch the trees. There's so little visitation that they don't consider it an issue for the health of the trees.

Getting to Giant Forest and down to Visalia might take some time depending on construction. They've been slowly working on the road for years. I last visited in 2007, and remember something like a 45 minute delay.

If you're looking for places to stay, there's more than just the NPS areas. There's a lodge in the Giant Sequoia National Monument area of Sequoia National Forest between Giant Forest and Grant Grove. If you don't mind rustic cabins, there Grant Grove village cabins are pretty cheap and kind of fun if you like that sort of thing. They remind me of the primitive cabins that my folks took me to at Lake Tahoe, as well as the old Giant Forest Village cabins (since removed) that I stayed in as a kid.

SEKImap-360-degree-Panoramas-Icons.jpg

You're looking at a lot of driving though, and estimates don't take into account construction delays on Generals Highway. I'd frankly just recommend Mariposa Grove unless you have another day. The last time I was at SEKI I spent four nights.

http://goo.gl/maps/4unQo

I am trying to figure out SEKI and can't get it...help! :confused:

So we are thinking 2 nights at Yosemite Lodge, then leave early (we are from CST so will be up early anyway) and head to Sequoia NP. We will basically have 24 hours there and definitely want to see the giant trees.

Thank you so much for all of your tips!

We drove home from Yosemite via Sequoia. It will take 3 hours to get to Sequoia from Yosemite. You can drive through there and see some sights. If you do this I recommend going to Grants Grove in Kings Canyon. You will also drive through a sequoia grove called the Lost Grove where you can take pictures. The General Sherman is located in the Giant Forest portion of Sequoia. It's the largest living thing on Earth. You can visit and walk to that three and walk around. You leave Sequoia through the southern route on Hwy 198, and that will take you to Visalia.

The drive from Giant Forest to Los Angeles is about 5.5 hours.

Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I think our trip is shaping up to look something like this:

Fly in to San Francisco for 2 nights
Drive to Yosemite for 2 nights
Head to Sequoia for 1 night
Then down to Disneyland for 5 nights
Fly out of LAX or SNA (whatever is cheapest)

I am trying to figure out SEKI and can't get it...help! :confused:

So we are thinking 2 nights at Yosemite Lodge, then leave early (we are from CST so will be up early anyway) and head to Sequoia NP. We will basically have 24 hours there and definitely want to see the giant trees.

Thank you so much for all of your tips!

The layout is interesting. There's a combination of NPS and Forest Service areas, which include campgrounds, lodges, cabins, etc. The only gas stations are on Forest Service land. When I was a kid I remember gas stations in the major NPS areas, but those are now only used to refuel government and concessionaire vehicles.

They probably have more cooperation between NPS and Forest Service personnel than any other place I've visited. I remember asking for information at the Grant Grove village visitor center, and they have a combination of NPS rangers, Sequoia Natural History Association volunteers, and Forest Service rangers.

There isn't necessarily that much difference between the Forest Service and NPS areas outside of some regulations. It seems almost the same. You can legally collect stuff like pine cones in the Forest Service areas, but not NPS.

Generals Highway is extremely winding. The big spots are Giant Forest and Morro Rock. Crystal Cave is pretty good, but that requires a short drive off the main highway. After a while heading south, you're in the Foothills section of the park. It's frankly not that interesting in my opinion other than some pretty good fall colors.

Thank you. I love reading details/history like this. I am going to plan on visiting Redwood Canyon Grove.

I only noticed big delays at Tioga Pass in Yosemite, not big ones in Sequoia this time. You can really tell the difference with all of the road improvements.

I'll just add to book in advance if you want to stay in either the national park or national forest. You might find something down in Three Rivers, but if you want to get closer to Los Angeles I recommend Visalia or Bakersfield.
I stayed in the Grant Grove rustic cabins back in '97. We only had kerosene lamps for light. It sure did add to my appreciation of the modern conveniences. :)

Generals Highway is extremely winding. The big spots are Giant Forest and Morro Rock. Crystal Cave is pretty good, but that requires a short drive off the main highway. After a while heading south, you're in the Foothills section of the park. It's frankly not that interesting in my opinion other than some pretty good fall colors.
Just a note on Giant Forest. I love visiting Crescent Meadow and Moro Rock, BUT, you can only get there on the park shuttles. So, if you have time, park in the big parking lot by the museum (where the Giant Forest cabins used to be), and take the shuttle to Crescent Meadow. But, if your time is limited skip the shuttle.

Besides the little road to Crystal Cave, you also have to hike 1/4 mile down the paved road to the cave itself. You have to buy tickets at the Giant Forest or Lodgepole Campground visitor centers. So, it's not a place for last minute/spontaneous visits.

Another place not mentioned, and what we did back in 2009... We left Yosemite early in the day, and headed to Sequoia/Kings Canyon. When you enter the national park, turn right towards Sequoia. About a mile or two down the road, and before you get to Big Baldy or the Kings Canyon Overlook, there is a road on the left that leads to Hume Lake (national forest area). It's a 10-mile road to the lake. There is a great beach where you can picnic called Sandy Cove. When you get to the lake, you'll turn right to go to Sandy Cove. If you turn left at the lake you'll go to the tiny 'town' area where there is a gas station, snack shop (burgers and such), and gift shop. There is also a picnic area there. In addition, there is a Christian camp where they rent out kayaks, canoes, and rowboats for a pretty decent price. I took my cousins to Sandy Cove and we spent a couple of hours there. They loved it. We then went to Giant Forest and walked to the General Sherman tree. This took up a good part of the day, but we had so much fun.

Thank you. I love reading details/history like this. I am going to plan on visiting Redwood Canyon Grove.

I only noticed big delays at Tioga Pass in Yosemite, not big ones in Sequoia this time. You can really tell the difference with all of the road improvements.

Slight correction for my previous error - that's Redwood Mountain Grove, but the trail is called Redwood Canyon Trail. I guess the grove is on the mountain but the trail is in the canyon? Largest sequoia grove anywhere. The Redwood Saddle Loop was maybe 6 miles in a loop, and relatively mild with regard to elevation changes.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/redwood-canyon-trail.htm
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/RedwoodCanyonInfo&Map.pdf

I was sort of wondering when the construction on Generals Highway was going to be done. The SEKI website is warning that there's still construction going on Generals Highway from late June to mid-July. It seems like they've been working on this for over a decade.

Slight correction for my previous error - that's Redwood Mountain Grove, but the trail is called Redwood Canyon Trail. I guess the grove is on the mountain but the trail is in the canyon? Largest sequoia grove anywhere. The Redwood Saddle Loop was maybe 6 miles in a loop, and relatively mild with regard to elevation changes.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/redwood-canyon-trail.htm
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/RedwoodCanyonInfo&Map.pdf

I was sort of wondering when the construction on Generals Highway was going to be done. The SEKI website is warning that there's still construction going on Generals Highway from late June to mid-July. It seems like they've been working on this for over a decade.

Thanks for the added correction. :)

The only signs of any construction was at the Giant Forest museum itself. Other than that, we just drove straight through.

Thanks for the added correction. :)

The only signs of any construction was at the Giant Forest museum itself. Other than that, we just drove straight through.

This is the message. Sounds like it's scheduled to be done this summer:

FINAL-Road-Construction-Flyer-June-30-July-11-2014.jpg

So hopefully this will be over by the middle of this summer.

Well, shoot. We were there on the 20th. No wonder we drove right through. Thanks for sharing the notice. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter