Yosemite experts?

tinker-belle

Mouseketeer
Hi- I'm having trouble trying to 'map' out our one night stay at Yosemite. We will be coming from Monterey and staying at the Yosemite view lodge for just one night.

If we want to see Yosemite valley (mist trail, Veneral falls), Yosemite falls,
And we want to drive to Glacier point, tunnel view and bridal veil falls and Mariposa grove, Sentinel dome & check out the Ahwahnee, what should be our plan of attack in regards to hiking & driving
(when we check out of Yosemite, we'll be driving to San Francisco).

We don't mind the 'easier/shorter' hikes- as our youngest will be 6 at the time, and don't want anything he can't handle.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

That is a lot for one day! I just came back from hiking Half Dome, and the MIst Trail to the top of Nevada Falls will take a while up and back. You should hop on the free park shuttle from the Yosemite Village and hop on off as it takes you around the Valley Floor. Maybe do lunch at the Ahwnahee after your hike? At the end of your day, do the Glacier Point drive as sunset is closing in.

That is a lot for two half days. If you get there early enough, you may be able to make it work. Coming from Monterey, take the southern most entrance road, hwy 41 and head to Mariposa grove. I believe it’s about 4 hrs from Monterey, but could be longer. After the grove, drive toward Glacier Point and hike to Sentinel dome from that road. After the hike, drive to Glacier Point. Expect to want to spend at least half an hour there. Drive back to the valley. It’s about 1 hour. This is a TON of driving for one day, but it is doable. Finding time and a place for dinner might be tough. There is food at Glacier Point, but it is of the snack bar variety and closes at 5pm. I'd bring lots of snacks. Have dinner or a drink at the Awahnee if you can swing it. Otherwise plan to just stop in for a few minutes on day 2. On Day 2 take the western valley shuttle bus around the loop stopping at Happy Isles in the morning to hike to Vernal Falls, then the Awahnee (if you didn’t go the previous day) and lower Yosemite Falls, from which you can also visit the Visitor Center. The hike to the base of Vernal Falls (bottom of the Mist Trail) is an easy 2 mile round trip. If you want to hike to the top of the mist trail (top of Vernal Falls) you may run out of time. After getting back to your accommodation/car, drive the eastern loop, hitting Bridalveil falls (no hike needed) and pulling over to admire El Capitan and Half Dome, etc… They are spectacular, and your car will pretty much pull itself over multiple times. If you run out of time I would prioritize: Glacier Point, seeing Giant Sequoias, and Vernal Falls. Also, I always think Visitor Centers are worth going to, but I’m sure some don’t agree.

Note: You don’t say when you’re going, but if you’re going this summer into Fall, you may find that the waterfalls have slowed to a trickle, this being a drought year, so you can skip at least one of the falls. You will see Upper Yosemite falls from around the valley and from Glacier Point. You can see Vernal and Nevada Falls from GP too, so you’ll have a good idea how much water flow there is. An alternative to walking to the waterfalls is a walk to Mirror lake, another easy one for a 6 year old, with spectacular views of Half Dome (but no lake, just a wide spot in the river). I would personally skip either Bridalveil or lower Yosemite falls if the water level is low. Maybe both. Another alternative is skipping Mariposa grove the first day, and hitting Tuolumne Grove on your way out of the park on day 2. Definitely consider this if you get to the park later on Day 1. From Yosemite Valley to SF is about 3 hrs 45 minutes without stops on hwy 120 (depending on traffic and how fast you drive, of course.)

Your plan is unrealistic with kids. If you're taking them on the Mist Trail to Vernal, I'd budget at least three hours. I was there recently and most of the kids doing it were taking many rest breaks. It can be warm, and the thing that most people don't account for is the high altitude.

If you want to go to Mariposa Grove without going as far as Grizzly Giant, then it can be rather quick. There are sequoia in the parking lot, and Fallen Giant is a short walk. The drive to/from Glacier Point is 16 miles from Chinquapin with speed limits from 20 to 35 MPH. Tunnel View doesn't take too long and it's just on the way to Yosemite Valley.

With limited time, I'd probably recommend reserving a Valley Floor tram tour. You get a lot of the history from the ranger, and the tram will stop in the middle of the road at prime photo spots. We took it, but the earliest one was already full and we had to wait for the next one. It leaves from the road in front of the Yosemite Lodge front desk. The Mist Trail is great, but it's probably something better left if you have two full days and no particular plans for that day.

It looks to me that you will be arriving one day, spending the night, and most of the next day, then leaving, right? Though I wouldn't normally recommend this route in, I agree with bouds. I think you should leave Monterey early, and drive through the southern entrance, via Fresno. You will go through Oakhurst, which is 16 miles from the Yosemite entrance. There is a really nice Vons there, and if you are planning on groceries, get them there. Also, gas up there, because there are only a couple of places to gas up in Yosemite, and no gas stations in the Valley (Wawona is one, and that is 15 minutes inside the park from the main entrance).

Suggestions for Oakhurst - get ready made sandwiches from Vons or Subway, and take them into the park. You can picnic at either Mariposa Grove, Wawona Pioneer center, or up at Glacier Point (I think Glacier Point would be nice).

When you go through the entrance ($20), turn right to go to Mariposa Grove (2 miles from southern entrance). You can take a nice walk through the trees or take a tram tour, but that will take time.

After Mariposa Grove, go past the southern entrance towards Yosemite Valley. About a half hour or so you'll hit the turnoff for Glacier Point. My suggestion is that you drive up there and go all the way to Glacier Point. Right before Glacier Point there is another stop called Washburn Point. I recommend going there. You'll have a great view of Nevada and Vernal Falls, with Half Dome to the left - it's a great photo opportunity. If there is still enough water, look to the right, and look for another waterfall. This is Illouette Falls and cannot be seen from the valley or Glacier Point. When you are done with Washburn, continue to the drive to Glacier Point (maybe 10 minutes or so). At Glacier Point the only restrooms are pretty rustic, and they are by the parking lot. There are none up by the snack building. Once you get there you'll be at the amphitheater area. Go to the left and go to the overlook. It's just a little walk. Be sure to visit the geological hut, too.

After Glacier Point, on your way to the valley, you can gauge whether or not you have time to hike to Sentinel Dome. You will pass the trailhead, and if you want to walk it you should keep an eye out for the parking area just off the road.

When you're done with the high country, head on down, and at the fork turn right to continue to the valley. You will go through the famous Wawona tunnel, and right after it you can stop at the beautiful overlook with the valley spread out below you.

When you are done with that, continue to the valley. Before you get to the bottom, if you keep a lookout, you can see the original stagecoach road that lead to the valley. It will be to your right. You will also pass the parking lot for Bridalveil Falls. I recommend stopping here, and walking to the base of the falls. It is probably a five-minute walk to the base of the falls.

When you're done with Bridalveil (or Pohono) Falls, continue your drive to the valley. You will see the huge granite monolith, El Capitan to the left. If there are people with binoculars, it could be that they are watching the climbers. If you have a telephoto lens or binoculars you might see them, too. Take a look at that gigantic piece of rock. There is a guy named Alex Hunnold, and he climbed the face of it in less than two and a half hours (crazy). http://www.elcapreport.com/content/elcap-report-61712 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtdiFeucYA

Continue the drive, and follow the signs to Yosemite Lodge. There is a cafeteria there where you can eat dinner, but if you feel like it, you might go to the pizza place at Curry Village. It's quite good there.

Day 2 -- get up early. You can hike to Vernal Falls, or at least the bridge that gives you a view of Vernal Falls. The trail is steep, though, so keep that in mind for your little one. My kids hiked it at that age, but since you are there for such a short time, I don't know if that is something you'll want to do. I do agree with bouds about visiting the Yosemite Visitor Center. It is very interesting and you learn a lot about this beautiful valley there. One easier walk you can do is take the shuttle to Yosemite Falls, and walk from there to the Ahwahnee Hotel. The trail is fairly level. Another walk would be from Happy Isles to Mirror Meadows (used to be Mirror Lake when I was a kid and visited there). You can also ask the rangers at the Visitors Center to recommend hikes for you.

Have a wonderful visit. I was just there last weekend, and hiked the Panorama Trail (it was on my bucket list), and though it took us forever, I can hardly wait to do it again. :)

Just a thought - you'll be doing a lot of driving, so that has to be properly time-budgeted.

Google Maps estimates about 262 miles and nearly 6 hours driving time alone for Monterey-Mariposa Grove-Glacier Point-Tunnel View-Yosemite View Lodge. That won't even account for delays. In my years of visiting Yosemite, I've encountered construction delays, bear jams, turned over RVs, etc. While the speed limit is 35 MPH on Wawona Road, it is a winding mountain road, and you might get stuck behind someone who is scared and driving 10 MPH under the limit.

http://goo.gl/maps/DX8vK

And the next day:

http://goo.gl/maps/rhcTa

It does recommend taking 120 back to the Bay Area through Groveland and New Priest Grade. That is the fastest by a few minutes, but some of the roads are a bit crazy and you'll be out in the middle of nowhere for the first two hours. You might want to modify your trip by going through Merced. It's technically longer, but with far more freeways, as well as access to cities and roadside stops.

One of the things you have to be ready to accept is that you won't have enough time for something on your list. That's OK. When my family was on the Mist Trail, I kept on saying "it's not a race" and quite a few people going up agreed. We took frequent breaks and nearly four hours round trip. When I was in shape and doing this solo I think I could have made a round trip in 90 minutes, but it would have been more like a race than an experience. After that, we had nothing planned for the rest of the day other than eating, showering, and s'mores over a campfire. Whatever was left we fit in. It also helped that I barely drove that day. We wanted to have a look at the Ahwahnee, and the drive there and back to the campground was all that we had. I've been dead tired before after hiking and then drove 200+ miles. It's not that great a feeling, especially with winding mountain roads.

Have fun. We recently went to Yosemite, and our kid wants to go back. And our kid is only three.

By the way - how many parents? We had one kid, two parents, and quite a bit of "be careful". You need to be really mindful on the Mist Trail. Some area are frankly deadly with a mistake.

Just a thought - you'll be doing a lot of driving, so that has to be properly time-budgeted.

Google Maps estimates about 262 miles and nearly 6 hours driving time alone for Monterey-Mariposa Grove-Glacier Point-Tunnel View-Yosemite View Lodge. That won't even account for delays. In my years of visiting Yosemite, I've encountered construction delays, bear jams, turned over RVs, etc. While the speed limit is 35 MPH on Wawona Road, it is a winding mountain road, and you might get stuck behind someone who is scared and driving 10 MPH under the limit.

http://goo.gl/maps/DX8vK

And the next day:

http://goo.gl/maps/rhcTa

It does recommend taking 120 back to the Bay Area through Groveland and New Priest Grade. That is the fastest by a few minutes, but some of the roads are a bit crazy and you'll be out in the middle of nowhere for the first two hours. You might want to modify your trip by going through Merced. It's technically longer, but with far more freeways, as well as access to cities and roadside stops.

One of the things you have to be ready to accept is that you won't have enough time for something on your list. That's OK. When my family was on the Mist Trail, I kept on saying "it's not a race" and quite a few people going up agreed. We took frequent breaks and nearly four hours round trip. When I was in shape and doing this solo I think I could have made a round trip in 90 minutes, but it would have been more like a race than an experience. After that, we had nothing planned for the rest of the day other than eating, showering, and s'mores over a campfire. Whatever was left we fit in. It also helped that I barely drove that day. We wanted to have a look at the Ahwahnee, and the drive there and back to the campground was all that we had. I've been dead tired before after hiking and then drove 200+ miles. It's not that great a feeling, especially with winding mountain roads.

Have fun. We recently went to Yosemite, and our kid wants to go back. And our kid is only three.

By the way - how many parents? We had one kid, two parents, and quite a bit of "be careful". You need to be really mindful on the Mist Trail. Some area are frankly deadly with a mistake.

I agree with budgeting time. We hiked the Panorama Trail, and it says that it takes about 6-7 hours. It took us 9 hours, and we hiked down via the Mist Trail. By the end of that hike we were hobbling (totally out of condition), but young guys were actually running. With the slippery granite and all those steps I didn't want to take chances. We finally got back to our lodging around 8pm, and immediately took showers and went to bed. We totally skipped dinner and the campfire. The next day we drove through Sequoia to LA, and my body complained every time I got out of my car. Any thoughts of walking, especially downhill, were scrapped. :)

Just saw some responses today- thank you! We've been on the west coast since june 30th and plan on yosemite tomorrow and tom. night. We don't mind driving--- (one of our days, we drove from the grand canyon to san diego); and today we drove from Los Angeles up to Monterey. We are 2 adults with 3 kids- 2 of our kids are teens, our youngest is almost 6 (and loved hiking point lobos today).

Looks like they are predicting thunderstorms for the next couple of days there
:(. Will that make many of the hikes impossible?

You won't be able to hike to the high country because of the danger of lightening. One of the best views I have ever had was summer of '77. We were on Glacier Point, and a thunderstorm went over the valley while we remained in the sun. We saw temporary waterfalls form and then saw a rainbow - just incredible.

Have a wonderful time!

You won't be able to hike to the high country because of the danger of lightening. One of the best views I have ever had was summer of '77. We were on Glacier Point, and a thunderstorm went over the valley while we remained in the sun. We saw temporary waterfalls form and then saw a rainbow - just incredible.

Have a wonderful time!

I'm seeing highs in the mid-80s F with isolated thunderstorms possible. Sounds like fun.

Thank you all! It ended up not raining at all--- though we were wishing it did b/c it ended up being in the high 90s!!! We explored the valley and ahwanee. Tunnel view. Glacier point for sunset. We hiked half the mist hike and explored mariposa grove the following day.
We are now nearing the end of our 3 week west coast trip- our last 3 nights in San Francisco. Thanks!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter