Yosemite for a first timer

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at staying at the Tenaya Lodge this summer for 5 nights. I'd like to go on a fishing tour with my son who is 6 and do a couple of tours of the park. What are good fishing tours and park tours for kids? I'm no nature girl and have no national park experience and since it will be just he and I, I don't feel comfortable just winging it on our own.

Don't know about fishing. The official park concessionaire doesn't have any official fishing guides, but they do sell equipment, licenses, etc. I'm pretty sure they can provide advice.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/fishing.aspx

Hiring a guide is going to be expensive. I found one on the web that charges $250 for a half day and $325 for a full day.

http://www.yosemitesierraflyfishing.com/rates.html

As for tours, there's the ranger guided walks several times a day, and they're free. It's usually different topic each day. The amphitheater programs are also pretty good. You'll need to check the park newspaper for the schedule.

The valley floor tram tour is also pretty good. Maybe a guided horse ride?

http://www.yosemitepark.com/valley-floor-tour.aspx

Am not sure about fishing but if you have 5 days you should definitely visit Wawona and the Mariposa Grove one day, a day or two on the valley floor, Tuolumne Meadows and maybe Glacier Point.

Would you be interested in staying at Curry Village for some of the nights perhaps - it is on the free shuttle bus around the valley and there are always loads of kids and also activities for them like ranger talks and walks - mostly free!

Chlo83 said:
Am not sure about fishing but if you have 5 days you should definitely visit Wawona and the Mariposa Grove one day, a day or two on the valley floor, Tuolumne Meadows and maybe Glacier Point.

Would you be interested in staying at Curry Village for some of the nights perhaps - it is on the free shuttle bus around the valley and there are always loads of kids and also activities for them like ranger talks and walks - mostly free!

I've considered the curry village cabins. We are now going mid October so I doubt there will be many kids. It's my son's fall break though. Think the cabins would still be fun?

I've considered the curry village cabins. We are now going mid October so I doubt there will be many kids. It's my son's fall break though. Think the cabins would still be fun?

By October it will likely be cold at night if you're staying in the tent cabins. It will typically be about low to mid-40s F. The hard-sided cabins will probably be sold out given how few of them are left.

bcla said:
By October it will likely be cold at night if you're staying in the tent cabins. It will typically be about low to mid-40s F. The hard-sided cabins will probably be sold out given how few of them are left.

Is nicer stay in a tent cabin for multiple reasons. If the hard side cabins are sold out we'd book Tenaya or just go somewhere else for vacation. Thanks for your advice! :)

The Cedar Lodge in El Portal is very close to the park (valley floor). Their rates are reasonable and they have an indoor pool & spa. I wouldn't stay in the park because it's a tourist trap. But Yosemite is beautiful. We just went back over Easter, and rented a cottage near Mariposa.

I'm looking at staying at the Tenaya Lodge this summer for 5 nights. I'd like to go on a fishing tour with my son who is 6 and do a couple of tours of the park. What are good fishing tours and park tours for kids? I'm no nature girl and have no national park experience and since it will be just he and I, I don't feel comfortable just winging it on our own.

We stayed at Tenaya Lodge a couple of years ago, the food was ok, there was a pool and jacuzzi. The one thing that I didn't like was there was absolutely nothing to do after dinner. Besides the pool, you could watch movies on TV or video games. It is about 1 hour outside Yosemite Valley, so plan on that, but since you said October the crowds should not be too big.
I really enjoyed the Train ride outside Yosemite, but then I'm just a kid at heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter