Yosemite in late March early April

queenofthehive

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of visiting Yosemite for a few days during Easter week. I was thinking of using my timeshare points and staying at Worldmark Bass Lake. Is this a good time of year to visit or is it better to wait and plan a trip during the summer months? We would really like to see the waterfalls. Also, what airport would be best to fly into? What about our location at Bass Lake? Is a good location to visit the park during this time of year or will some roads still be closed for winter etc? Thanks in advance for all your help.

It is really hard to say. We have had drought, and it still could snow there depending on the weather. June would not be a bad time. You could always call Yosemite in January and see how the snow pack is for the water falls.

I can almost guarantee that there will be water flowing in March/April, but how grand the flow is will be unpredictable. Typically the biggest water flows will being around May, but in big snow years it can still be massive in early June and up to July. However, I was looking for an excuse to go to Yosemite, and checking the Yosemite Falls webcam, I never really saw it "big" this year. It's always kind of complex in what makes the waterfalls full. They need lots of water, and of course there it comes from melting snow. So you'll need a combination of lots of snow and lots of sun/heat to melt that snow. Some years the waterfalls look great in early May and peter out. I think this year there's been so little snow that it never really got going. There are predictions for lots of snow, so maybe next year will be promising.

Personally I think any time of year is good for Yosemite. The rock generally isn't going anywhere, although it does shed every now and then. I personally like it during the winter with a nice coating of snow. You might not be able to hike the Mist Trail, but you didn't say how much interest you had in hiking.

As for your logistical questions.....

The closest major airport is in Fresno (in fact it's called Fresno-Yosemite International Airport). There may be regional flights to Merced. However, neither are really serviced that well and prices might not be that good. There are a few other ways to get in, but Reno is probably too far away and there's that issue of closed roads. Mammoth has an airport, but again road closure will be an issue. I think most visiting Yosemite would fly out of the Bay Area airports, with Oakland probably being the most convenient to get to Yosemite (via I-238 and I-580). Bass Lake is near the south entrance to Yosemite, so that might take a bit of time to get to.

The major roads (Wawona Road and within Yosemite Valley) probably won't be closed, although there is the slight possibility of chain controls if it's actively snowing. Wawona Road is likely to be clear. That's kind of an odd time of year for Glacier Point Road (to Badger Pass and Glacier Point), which is higher in elevation and gets more snow. The Badger Pass ski season will probably be over so they'll stop plowing until they're ready to plow all the way to Glacier Point. Tioga Road (in Yosemite's high country) tends to open in May, but can open in June.

This has a listing of opening dates for Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

If you want to go that time of year, I'd say do it. The crowds may be smaller, and the temps will be cooler. You probably won't have the mosquito issues from late spring or early summer. A lot of the services will be limited though. Also - March next year is when Aramark is supposed to be taking over the concession, so it might get interesting how the handover occurs.

In regard to your location at Bass Lake, expect about an hour drive to get to Yosemite Valley, which is where most people want to spend their time. Yosemite Valley has the two waterfalls you can see, and you can hike to an area to see another two waterfalls.

They say that El Niño is going to hit, which means a lot of rain, probably longer than we are used to. So, you MIGHT have snow that will impact your visit, and you might not. If you do go in, and you are able to, make sure you go up to Glacier Point. Hopefully, the road will be open.

If you want to plan on spending all of your time in the valley to sightsee, you might consider Yosemite Lodge, or Curry Village, or even Yosemite West for lodging.

I expect the waterfalls to be at the least decent, and actually have more water in them during the time you want to visit. We are planning on going May 5-8, and I'm hoping Glacier Point will be open for us to visit.

I went in April 2014 the weekend before Easter and it was fantastic! Yosemite Falls was very full, but as someone pointed out, that can change year to year. Glacier Point opened up after we left. We only had 2 1/2 days to visit and were so sorry we couldn't stay longer. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen! We stayed outside the park at the Westgate Lodge. It was ok. We plan to go back and plan to stay inside the park next time.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter