Yosemite in late March? For one day??

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
We'll be in San Francisco for five days beginning on March 23rd of 2012. I'd really like to take the time to drive to Yosemite and back for the day. I'm wondering what this would be like in March? Is there a lot of snow? How much of the park is accessible? I realize I would be spending 7 hours just driving to/from the park, but I don't know when I'll be back to CA so I'd like to do it when I can. How early does it get dark? Is there a way we can drive in from one direction and out from another to get the most views? Any suggestions would be welcome!!!

Thanks!

It's definitely not the ideal time to visit, but here is a link to their official site, which breaks down what you should know for each month:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm

"While Yosemite Valley and Wawona remain accessible by car all year, the Tioga Road is closed (usually by sometime in November). Once closed for the season, vehicles are not permitted between Crane Flat and Tioga Pass, including in the Tuolumne Meadows area. The road to Glacier Point is also closed (usually sometime in November). However from mid-December though early April, the Glacier Point/Badger Pass Road is plowed to the Badger Pass Ski Area, where both downhill and cross-country skiing are popular. Tire chains are often required on park roads. When they are, you must carry and know how to use them, regardless of the type of vehicle you are driving.

Weather: Winter in Yosemite is snowy and cold, though sunny and chilly days are not uncommon.
Yosemite Valley & Wawona (4,000 ft / 1,200 m): 53°F (12°C) / 28°F (-2°C)

Rivers & Waterfalls: Water levels tend to be low, but once some snow and rain have fallen, Yosemite Falls begins flowing again (though not at springtime levels).

Hiking: Most of the park is covered in snow during winter, but some trails in Yosemite Valley are often accessible. Backpacking options are very limited."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter