Yosemite in Winter

Dis Ohana

All your dreams can come true if you have the cour
We're beginning to doubt our plans to spend Christmas in Yosemite. We're from Hawaii and none of us has ever really been in snow (unless you count Maunakea :rotfl: ) much less driven in it. Several people have told us that we're crazy to attempt to try to drive into Yosemite when it's snowing. We're staying at Yosemite West near Badger Pass. My question is: just how bad are the driving conditions? Is it really that hard to do? And how bad do the roads get? We plan on renting chains, I thought that would be enough. I would appreciate any feedback and driving tips. Mahalo! :wave2:

Don't worry, just go with the flow. We did that a few years ago, drove from DL all over from DL up the coast then over to Yosemite, then up north to the coast, finishing in SF and absolutely loved it. Yosemite was absolutely gorgeous in winter. Just remember to add some time on to your driving and take snow chains in case. Hope you got a rental with all weather tires. You just have to stop somewhere and buy some snowchains in case they require it. Hey, with the "unknown" we've dealt with lately at home in Hawaii (earthquakes-multiple and tsunami ... just go with the flow because you just never know). We leave in 17 days and can't wait. Wishing you a most wonderful trip - it will be "most ono"! aloha.

Thanks, Niele! You're so right on about just going with it. We decided to go for it, and just have a backup plan in case the weather gets really bad and makes driving in impossible. We are buying some chains, so we're good on that.
I was in North Kohala visting family on Thanksgiving, we got there right when that rockin' earthquake hit! There were several aftershocks all weekend too!
Have a wonderful vacation and big mahalos again for all the good advice over the past few months.

And big mahalos to you, too, Dis Ohana. You've asked alot of questions I would have, so I just read all the great ideas and reviews. Have you started packing yet? I'm still trying to figure out what the weather is going to be like. I guess I'll just have to take everything from flip-flops to uggs! We're going to try and get a couple of ski days in up at Kirkwood, too. I'm thinking we might be a little crazy to try and fit it in but hubbie made me promise if we got to go to DL then he gets to go skiing!! -LOL- aloha.

We're packing clothes for the snow and t-shirt weather for Disneyland. We'll be there a little over 2 weeks, and the weather has been so unpredictable. 2 more days til we leave! :Pinkbounc Have a good vacation, Niele!

Hopefully, with the nice days we've had lately will move on over to CA. :thumbsup2 (too bad no shaka!) You, too, have a most wonderful time, enjoy. We're there in one week and I'm going crazy on house cleaning and what to pack. -LOL- Can't wait to hear about your trip. aloha. :goodvibes

Did you have a good trip? I loved Yosemite when we went there one Feb. Badger Pass was fun to ski (I'm a lame-o eternal beginning skier), but my favorite part was taking a walk in the fresh snow on the valley floor by the light of a full moon. It was absolutely AMAZING! So... please do tell, how was the trip???

Yosemite was simply amazing. Words cannot even begin to describe the natural beauty of this place. We drove into the park via Hwy 140 on Saturday, Dec. 23. A few days before we arrived there was a storm that moved through, leaving a nice dusting of snow on the valley floor. We have never seen snow before, so we were just blown away by the beauty of it all. We got there a little late, so we kept going up to Yosemite West. We were very pleased with the house we rented there. There was even more snow and a nice area to play right outside. We were scheduled to leave the day after Christmas, but there was news of more snow coming so we changed our travel plans at the last minute to spend a few more days there. I'm so glad we did. There was several inches of fresh snowfall, we had so much fun playing in the snow! My husband and son were able to snowboard at Badger Pass, they had such a good time. Both are avid surfers and were very surprised at how different the two sports are.
A big concern of ours was being able to drive safely in the snow and ice since we were not experienced with it. The chains and 4WD car worked well, we never felt out of control or had any trouble at all. I think just being aware of sliding and not speeding really helped. A car in front of us flipped over on it's side closing the road in and out of the valley to Yosemite West for 2 hours one day. We saw 2 other cars that slid off the road that day too.
We were very lucky with the weather. There was snow but it was also warm during the week we were there; daytime temps were 40 - 50ish, night time was 30 - 40. I'd highly reccomend going to Yosemite in Winter!

Aloha Dis Ohana - Right on, I am so glad that you all had a great time. Our trip over there for Christmas was great, too. DL was beautiful, blue skies and not that bad of crowds for the week prior to Christmas and then it was freeze a-- up north, but again, really fantastic being with the grandkids. We tried to go skiing up at Kirkwood but there was a really bad storm and roads were closed, lines down,.... we'll wait till February for Tahoe. I bet your hubbie and son are ready for some more skiing. Mine also are surfers and love the snow. Hubbie loves skiing, son loves boarding and I love just making it down the hill for a nice warm drink without killing myself! - LOL- again, stoked that you had such a good time with the family. Happy New Year!

So, now you've vacationed in our home area, we need to vacation in your home area! We may try to take the kids to Hawaii sometimes this summer when they are all out of school (we have to match up 2 different school schedules- plus work/travel schedules). I've been to Maui, Oahu & Kauai, but the kids have never been.

VanVMOM: I'm sure your kids will love the islands. Let me know if you need any help planning. Aloha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!