Yosemite too much?

crosscan

Earning My Ears
Hi. We are flying to San Francisco on May 4 for an event on May 5 and also have an event in Los Angeles on May 12. We will be renting a car and want to go to both Yosemite and then down to Disneyland.

My current plan is to stay in Merced on May 6, see Yosemite on the 7th, stay around Fresno that night and then on to Anaheim the next day. that will give us 3 days in DLR.

Is this too ambitious?

I think it's a bit ambitious, but when you have a short time, you do what you gotta do.

We have taken our guests to Yosemite from San Francisco, and I would recommend driving from San Francisco and spend the night in Yosemite, the next day and night in Yosemite, then leave for Anaheim (about a 7-hour drive) from Yosemite. You'll have more time to enjoy the scenery, less time driving around, and will be spending the night in a beautiful place.

Not sure what your budget is, but recommend Curry Village in the valley. You MIGHT be able to get a tent cabin (if any are still available). If not, you might want to stay in Oakhurst (19 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite) instead of Fresno. That way you spend more time in the park, and don't have to leave so early to go to the city. Another option is redwoodsinyosemite.com - IF they have any cabins available. We really enjoy staying there - they are just inside the Yosemite border, about 15 minutes in from the south entrance.

Of course, I love Yosemite - most beautiful place on Earth, so I'm a bit biased. :)

I think Yosemite is worth the time. Lodging can be difficult at this late time if you want to stay in the valley. Many hotels advertise x miles to Yosemite but they are talking about the gates not the valley floor which will probably be another hour drive. The floor of the valley is where all the tourist attractions are. I have camped in Yosemite at that time of year and be prepared that you will see snow on the side of the roads and it will be cold. Bring your warmest jackets because you will want them even gloves and a hat if you plan on spending time outside. I would not be surprise if you experience rain too. I just want you to be prepared. The waterfalls will be unbelievable! Also on the drive in there are redwood groves that you might like to see if you have never experienced them before. Our favorite thing to do at Yosemite is to ride our bikes, lots of nice paths and you can cover the area much quicker. They do have bike rentals and I would encourage you to consider it. Hope you have fun!

We've decided that Yosemite is just too much to fit in and will fly from SF to LA. We plan on doing Yosemite on a future trip when time permits.

If you really want to experience Yosemite I would recommend staying one the valley floor. There are campsites, tent cabins and lodging. The reservations are difficult to get so make sure you are on the internet to book literally the minute you can start booking. Check out the Yosemite website and it will give you the reservation site, it is something like recreationgo. Set your account up before the day you want to make your reservation. As for timing summer is busy, spring is less crowded (people wise, not any easier to get reservations) the waterfalls are beautiful but the weather will be cold morning and nights. It has snowed on us the third weekend in May but that was unusual. Personally, I like it when we go in September again it is less crowded, there will be waterfalls but the water will not be as high or forceful. I hope this is of help to you in the future.

If you really want to experience Yosemite I would recommend staying one the valley floor. There are campsites, tent cabins and lodging. The reservations are difficult to get so make sure you are on the internet to book literally the minute you can start booking. Check out the Yosemite website and it will give you the reservation site, it is something like recreationgo. Set your account up before the day you want to make your reservation. As for timing summer is busy, spring is less crowded (people wise, not any easier to get reservations) the waterfalls are beautiful but the weather will be cold morning and nights. It has snowed on us the third weekend in May but that was unusual. Personally, I like it when we go in September again it is less crowded, there will be waterfalls but the water will not be as high or forceful. I hope this is of help to you in the future.
Can I tag along here? :flower3:
Your mention of mid-Sept caught my attention.
We are considering a visit to Sequoia NP for mid Sept. (Our kids have a 4 day weekend and we have credits from SWA to burn up.) We would fly in really late Friday night after school and fly home Wed.

Dh would love to have that much time in Yosemite but I was under the impression that the waterfall would be almost non-existent in mid-Sept since the snow melt has long ended. We also wanted to go whitewater rafting when we do visit Yosemite.
Is that still possible in Sept? We will be doing a longer Cali trip next summer so wherever we go in Sept is one less area we will be trying to cram in next summer so I'm totally flexible.
Would you recommend mid Sept for a 1st time visit?
Thanks!!

Can I tag along here? :flower3:
Your mention of mid-Sept caught my attention.
We are considering a visit to Sequoia NP for mid Sept. (Our kids have a 4 day weekend and we have credits from SWA to burn up.) We would fly in really late Friday night after school and fly home Wed.

Dh would love to have that much time in Yosemite but I was under the impression that the waterfall would be almost non-existent in mid-Sept since the snow melt has long ended. We also wanted to go whitewater rafting when we do visit Yosemite.
Is that still possible in Sept? We will be doing a longer Cali trip next summer so wherever we go in Sept is one less area we will be trying to cram in next summer so I'm totally flexible.
Would you recommend mid Sept for a 1st time visit?
Thanks!!

We were just in Yosemite at the end of May. Unfortunately, the waterfalls in Yosemite are fed by the snowmelt in the Sierra Nevadas. The Nevadas only received about 32% of their average snow fall. We were told that Yosemite Falls would probably be dried up by August. Some falls run year round, but they will just be trickles in September.

Yosemite is still beautiful anytime of year, but if you love the waterfalls, you may want to wait until the spring to see Yosemite. If you go for the hiking and to see Half Dome and El Capitan, Yosemite would be wonderful in September.

We were just in Yosemite at the end of May. Unfortunately, the waterfalls in Yosemite are fed by the snowmelt in the Sierra Nevadas. The Nevadas only received about 32% of their average snow fall. We were told that Yosemite Falls would probably be dried up by August. Some falls run year round, but they will just be trickles in September.

Yosemite is still beautiful anytime of year, but if you love the waterfalls, you may want to wait until the spring to see Yosemite. If you go for the hiking and to see Half Dome and El Capitan, Yosemite would be wonderful in September.

Thanks. :goodvibes There's very little availability for lodging inside the park this close to Sept. This was a spur of the moment trip so I realize it will be slim pickens & it's better if we plan further out. We'll save Yosemite for next June so we can stay exactly where & when we want, not having to drive from outside the park every day. I guess I better start booking that now too. :hourglass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter