Yosemite-What to do?

madysmom

Mouseketeer
We plan to spend a couple of days in Yosemite, we have two small children, so probably won't do a whole lot of hiking...are there any tours or kid-friendly things to do?

Where are you staying? If you're kids like riding bikes, you can rent them in the village. There are plenty of bike trails along the valley floor that you can ride. Just driving into the village and stopping at the waterfalls is worth the trip and your kids can enjoy getting sprayed by the water.

We took a tour with Discover Yosemite Tours. They were wonderful. The busses were very comfortable and she took us to all of the hot spots and we learned so much about the park.

There is a pioneer village in Wawonah that was interesting and if you go during peak tourist season, they have stagecoach rides and reenactments.

Mariposa Grove is also not to be missed. Your kids will love standing among and trying to hug the huge trees.

I'm not a hiker, but we loved spending time in Yosemite. You can just sit in a meadow and watch the rock climbers and still feel like you've experienced Yosemite.

If you want, check out my trip report link below (in green).

Have a great time.

Wendy! Thank you so much for the info. :-) I loved reading your trip report, too, as we plan to spend time in Monterey as well. :thumbsup2

We also did a Disneyland, Monterey and Yosemite trip last year. Be prepared to feel horrible about only staying two days in Yosemite. It is gorgeous.
They do have tours that you can take. One is an open view tram that can cost some money but be a good idea for beginners. We stayed outside of the entrance at Yosemite View Lodge. It was perfect. I would say it was five minutes from the actual park gate. It is situated on the Merced River.

Inside YNP we did the following:
Hiked up Mist Trail - Amazing views, scary at times and a little hard to to if your not in shape but well worth it.
Must see Yosemite Falls. Easy walk.
Must see Glacier Point. Amazing. Simply amazing.
Must see Mariposa Grove. The giant trees are amazing. It takes about two hours if I remember correctly from the valley floor. It is a windy long drive over.
I am into photography so a stop at the ANsel Adams gallery was a must.
We ate at the Yosemite Lodge food court. It was good simple meals. Kind of like theme park entrees.
We wanted to go to mirror lake but ran out of time.
We tried to do a raft ride but it wasn't open when we were there. Must make sure you go when the waterfalls are in full force.
Must do Tunnel View. Everyone has a picture from there and it is a must do.

Here are some shots we took from our trip:

Mist Trail easy part
IMG_2783.jpg

Tunnel View
IMG_2808.jpg

Views as you drive into Yosemite
IMG_2511-1.jpg

Upper and lower Yosemite
IMG_2670.jpg

Walkway to Yosemite Falls
IMG_2592.jpg

Easy walking paths around Yosemite FAlls
IMG_2634.jpg

Mariposa Grove Fallen Tree
IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2923-1.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Mist Trail Sign
IMG_2701.jpg

At the very top of Mist Trail
IMG_2757.jpg

You can walk about halfway up and it is a smooth uphill walk that will take you to a bridge for exceptional views so don't think it is all hard.

Awahnee Hotel
IMG_2567-1.jpg

If you get travel channel watch out for Yosemite "Americas Jewel" or something like that. It just aired yesterday but they usually show it every week or so.

If there are any pictures or questions I would be happy to answer them. I've got a picture of just about everything. We are hoping to head to Yellowstone this year.

Oh yeah they have a junior ranger program that I hear is great. We didn't get to do it but you might check it out.

Thank you so much KC Mike! I enjoyed viewing the photos. I learned through some research last night that we won't be able to raft on the Merced as I had hoped because our little girl is not 50 pounds. And, horseback riding won't be an option either (because she is too young). HOWEVER, the rental bikes sound like a fun activity that our family will be able to do, we can rent a bike with a trailer. Again, thanks for the photos and advice. :-)

Congrats on the decision to go there, you will most certainly have a wonderful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter