A Girl Growing Up May '21 - Bittersweet Cancellation Update

So, I said it before and I will say it again...

It's not necessarily a run of bad luck...just an unfortunate series of inconveniences

The latest? I am totally torn between my love of Disney and desire to be a strong supportive parent... 😆

Ok, not really, but...w
e have a new obstacle in our path for the May trip.
DD will be a Freshman next year and is trying out for High School Pom. :cheer2:

We attended the informational meeting on Monday night and it was great. DD is so excited and she has been working so hard to be good enough for this team. Honestly, I am not sure she will make it... but, I am really encouraging her to push for her goal of making the team. The bummer if she makes it...once I started looking through the long list of dates, I saw them...mandatory practices (no exceptions) the week we are scheduled to be out of town for Disney.

Tryouts and team announcement will happen on April 2nd. If she makes it, I will be thrilled for her, but sad that we have to cancel the trip. If she doesn't make the team, the trip proceeds as planned. Luckily, 4/2 is still outside of our day 30 cancellation window for cancelling room and flights... and is still within the window of being able to bank my DVC points to 2022. The other good news is that our tickets would be available to use towards new tickets and because this team participates in a national competition at DW every January, we could use them then...The not great side of going with the team for a competition is that we will be staying at All-Star Sports or similar and trying to balance planning with having no idea what times we will be free to do as we please. DD will want to be with teammates. Planning will be a nightmare. Which made me realize that our days of doing Disney the way we want, would probably be gone for a while...and then DD will graduate HS...and then it will change again as she becomes an adult...

Time will tell on this one...

I am still going to keep planning for the May trip in the mean time. We have dining reservations to make soon....

Just in case she doesn't make the team.

Last edited:
UGH...Southwest!

Our flight from OKC to HOU (first leg of our itinerary to MCO) was just completely cancelled. Now, our reservation just shows HOU to MCO on the 12th...BOOOO

This means that we will have to either cancel and rebook, which puts us there no earlier than 2-ish, or fly in to HOU the night before and stay at a hotel to be able to make the 8:15am departure from HOU on the 12th...

So frustrating...especially, having to make more arrangements for a trip we may not even get to take. DD's Pom tryouts are a week away and I am biting my nails...
😣

Ummm...skipped right over the part where I made dining reservations and an executive decision

The day of reckoning on Dining Reservations came and went last week and here is how I did:

Day 1 - We don't have any reservations and have put an alert on either CRT or BOG. Honestly, I am a little relieved, because again, I am not even sure that we will get to keep this trip. If we get in early, we will drop our bags and head to MK for DD's balloon and castle pic...once the room is ready, we will head back to the resort to freshen up before heading to Disney Springs. DD loved Polite Pig, wants to get a cookie from Gideons and shop until we run out of steam. IF we happen to get CRT or BOG for later in the evening, we will probably still go back to the resort for a bit before dinner.

Day 2-This is our DHS day and I got a12:50 reservation for Brown Derby. The plan is to try and get a RoR boarding pass early or the 1pm. We will head back to the resort for a bit before heading to Disney Springs for the 1 reservation DH requested, Boathouse @ 7:15.

Day 3- Today will be really relaxed...we don't have any reservations and will probably just eat quick service for lunch at Animal Kingdom and for dinner @ the resort. DD and I really enjoyed room service when we were there last fall.

Day 4-This is the day we may or may not head back to DHS. We have a 4:30 reservation for dinner @ Le Cellier, so we will end up at Epcot regardless.

Day 5- Travel home day will start with a 9:30 brunch reservation @ Grand Floridian and quick service lunch @ MK

All-in-all, I think I did well. Now, we just have to continue the wait of whether or not we will go. 😬

IF DD makes Pom, they participate in Nationals @ Disney and we will be moving the trip to February 4-6th, 2022

Well...Dreams do Come True...

DD made the Varsity Pom Team! We can hardly believe it. :cheer2:

This means that our trip for May is cancelled...and my days of visiting Disney in our standard DVC way, are on hold for a while.

The good news is that this team is so good, we will be visiting for UDA Nationals in February!! It's going to be a struggle, because I am not a fan of All-Star Sports Resort...and I like to pre-plan...

So, while this isn't goodbye forever, it is definitely TTFN :tigger:

Keep an eye out for me in the next few month's on the AULANI side...and then this winter as I try to pre-plan without pre-planning our February trip. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter