"You are going to Disney again?"

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
I just started listening to your Podcast re : people who are frequent travellers to WDW and have to hear negative comments from family and friends. We discovered the joy of Disney in 2005 when we became DVC members. We have been to Disney 4 times since then, plus a Dsiney cruise and a trip planned for this Aug. to Disneyland. Disney represents so many things to me. Most importantly, it gives us a chance to bond as a family. My kids enjoy special memories with their parents and their grand-parents (something I never had). I love the amazing customer service we get and wonderful CM's who bend over backwards on so many occasions. I am tired of the weird looks and people saying, "you really need to see more of the world", "we prefer our cottage in Northern Ontario", "Disney is just too commerical for us" etc. Now, I simply so not bother telling anyone where we are going. People simply love raining on people's parades. Anyway, love the Podcast - only listened to about 5 episodes and enjoying them.

I hear ya loud and clear TG! We have some friends that have a fit everytime we go (like it's really any of their business!). They just don't understand why we want to go back to the same place over and over again...yet talk all the time about how nice it would be to have a house at the lake to go to every summer. Hmmmm...

Disney is one of those things you either love it or you don't. My dh and I were hooked the first time we went. (and I won't even get started on the kids.) We decided to join the DVC when we figured we were coming back year after year.
Last year, we invited my cousin and her kids to come along. While they had a terrific time, they have no desire to come back again.

It's very hard for us who love disney :love: to believe that there are folks out there who don't feel the same way. I live in Southern NJ (15 miles from Philadelphia) Folks here go to the Jersey shore every year like it was some type of holy pilgrimage. I've never gotten it- to me, it's dirty, expensive ( a week at the shore can easily cost 1000's) and no where near the level of disney.

When I get that question, I just smile and ask "so where are you going this summer" 9/10 times my vacation sounds better. :lmao:

I hear ya loud and clear TG! We have some friends that have a fit everytime we go (like it's really any of their business!). They just don't understand why we want to go back to the same place over and over again...yet talk all the time about how nice it would be to have a house at the lake to go to every summer. Hmmmm...

same here! People say that we should "explore" and try new places, but why should we try new places if we enjoy ourselves in Disney??

To me, it's no different than anyone that has a time share that goes the same place every year, or families that own cabins/vacation houses on the lake that go every year. Instead of going to those places, I go to Disney. Once I explained that to a couple of people that hounded me about it relentlessly, they finally understood. ;)

we get this all time
I am so sick of it
Before we leave I usually send out a mass email now I include pics of the resort I am staying at the MK to annoy my family more

the last year or 2 we have gone alot but hey we love it and can afford it so I dont know why they get all worked up

we went dec 2005 august 2006 Nov 2006 Dec 2006 and then Feb 2007 and we leave leave in July for 10 nights at the GF

I love it and have learned to tuned out the naysayers and negative people

This is our second year in a row going and just that seems to set people off. Just the other day I was discussing it with a person I work with (who isnt a real close friend, more of an associate) and he asked how many children I have and how they like going to WDW. When I replied that we do not have kids and arent planning on it for a while yet, he was incredulous and didnt understand why would even go. So yes, let alone going there frequently gets you funny looks and responses, try saying that with no kids with non-WDW people.

Just yesterday I had someone ask me.

“Ok so you have been to Disneyland 2 times, you have been to Disneyworld 2 times and now you're going to Disney World again and staying just at Disney World for two whole weeks."

I smiled :) and just said, "yup.":thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rolleyes1:lmao:
I think allot has to do with jealousy, other wise why would they care where I go on my vacations.

I got the same thing when we booked our trip for this September. Me and DBF went last Sept and both loved it. It was his first trip and my first in 10 years. We coudln't pass up the free dining so we decided to go again! Then my parents (who travel to Cuba EVERY year) asked how we could want to go to the same place again.. doesn't really make sense. I think people that say that just don't get that it's so much more than a theme park....

Folks here go to the Jersey shore every year like it was some type of holy pilgrimage. I've never gotten it- to me, it's dirty, expensive ( a week at the shore can easily cost 1000's) and no where near the level of disney.:lmao:

::yes:: I agree.

I'm one of those people who want to see more of the US than just Disney World. So where am I going this year?? Disney World :rotfl: for about the 12th time. It just keeps drawing us back and we have no children! I still want to see other places & we do every few years, but it's so much fun at WDW. Hopefully someday we'll be able to go on 2 vacations a year, one at the World and one someplace else in the world!

I also get those types of remarks. Get tired of hearing it, but I'll have to remember what another poster said, where are they going?

Because at Disney World, you leave the real world behind.

Anywhere else, you are still in the real world!!

Traveling is one of my passions. I lied - it's my true calling. I should have been born with wings!!:cheer2: I've been to six out of 7 continents, and this will be my 16th visit to the World. Whenever someone asks why we keep going back - this is our second year in a row, usually it's every 2 to 3 years - I say because that's what we like to do. I too have friends who haul it to LBI or Wildwood (in NJ) EVERY summer for a week and have never gone anywhere else.:confused3 I don't question their preferences and I don't feel the need to defend mine. :thumbsup2 Actually a week at LBI can cost MORE than a week at WDW. And at WDW I don't have to deal with GSP traffic:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: !!!

I also love Disney my kids tell me there are alot of other places to go and i tell that there is BUT i love to go to Disney so in 18 days i will be staying at WL for the first time and i can not wait. I have stay in other Disney resort and like all of them. I can not help it i am a Disney nut too.

I could go every year but my DW isn't quite that type so I made some concessions and we'll be going to Williamsburg, VA for vacation next and then returning to Disney when our daughter is a little bit older (and before the 3 year old cutoff..hahahaa)

--Mr. DB

My family has been 9 times in the past four years. I am a teacher and my students began asking what was up with Disney? I began bringing them once a year to perform in MMD and now they are hooked, as well. Their parents are puzzled over the "Disney nut choir director". But hey, ya gotta spread the magic any way ya can right???? This years' choir seniors, my DH and myself leave this Friday for an 8 day stay at Pop Century. Two of the seniors will be CM's this Spring!!!!!!! I feel my teaching has to contain a little pixie dust. My principal commented to me about "going too far" when I wear my pearl Mickey earrings and my 14K Mickey pendant with diamonds. Whatever!!!!!
Jealousy, just plain jealousy.:rolleyes1

I know how everyone feels when thier family and friends give them dirty looks. But hey, I know people who go to the beach oevery single year(since I live 2 and half hours or so from Ocean City Md), so when they say something to me and my family of going to disney again, I say, well your going to Ocean City again. I mean things change all the time and when you think about it, its not as expensive of going other places.

Just keep going (if you can) and love every minute of. Thats why it is call, "The happiest place on earth"

My family has been 9 times in the past four years. I am a teacher and my students began asking what was up with Disney? I began bringing them once a year to perform in MMD and now they are hooked, as well. Their parents are puzzled over the "Disney nut choir director". But hey, ya gotta spread the magic any way ya can right???? This years' choir seniors, my DH and myself leave this Friday for an 8 day stay at Pop Century. Two of the seniors will be CM's this Spring!!!!!!! I feel my teaching has to contain a little pixie dust. My principal commented to me about "going too far" when I wear my pearl Mickey earrings and my 14K Mickey pendant with diamonds. Whatever!!!!!
Jealousy, just plain jealousy.:rolleyes1

wow, good for you, I am humbled :angel:

I am with you, we are a family that visited in 1999, and have been going back every year, sometimes 2-3 times.:woohoo:

or DD-17 will be attending an Art School in NYC, over the spring semester she took some pre-college on the weekends, and one Saturday there was a visit from Disney Imagineers....who knows.....someday our little girl could be designing at the World :cloud9:

Michelle in NY

We have gone with our children every other year beginning in 1995. We would save money by not going on a vacation the year in between. I feel that if I am not asking someone else to pay for my vacation, I don't really care what they think. My MIL is the worst. She always says, "but you just went there!" We have started going each year since 2005. We have four children now ranging in age from 19-3 and wanted to get in as many family trips to our favorite place before our two oldest leave for college. This spring my DS joined the college program at WDW and we were so excited. More reason to go! How can anyone criticize me for going to visit my son after all? He has been there since Jan and will be coming home in Aug. We've gone twice and are going two more times before he comes home. The in-laws didn't understand us letting him do the program and they went once to visit and don't understand the appeal of WDW. Of course they went during spring break week, maybe not a good first impression.
I just don't see how a family vacationing together anywhere can be looked upon as a bad thing.

I know what you mean. We get that all the time from some people we know, who by the way have never been to Disney. These are the same people who shell out big bucks every year to go to the Jersey Shore for their vacation. So we turn the tables on them and say, "the shore again, you got to be kidding me!";) We love the Jersey shore too but we only go for day trips now.

I grew up going to the Jersey shore every summer.....Stone Harbor, Wildwood and Cape May and I moved to FL because of WDW.....so I really have crazy covered.

Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter