You are never to old to be a kid again at Universal.....Nana’s solo trip....kind of live from Universal Orlando and elsewhere in the Universe.

Your pictures get better and better!

Thank you Mac.

I love strawberries and cream ice cream. It is my one weakness, ice cream that is. I am on a diet most of the time, but at Disney/Universal, I have an ice cream treat or two a day. It's heaven!
I loved looking at those amazing scarecrows, but would expect the best from Universal:).
I just watched behind the scenes of the Bourne Adventure, and I think it looks better than disney's new star wars ROTR.

Yes, having treats on vacation is a must.

The ice cream there is delicious. Not overly sweet, but very flavorful. They have a nice selection to choose from.

Yes, Universal is extremely talented when it comes to design. The Scarecrow’s definitely have layers to them when you really stopped and looked at them. The creativity is awesome.

Saturday, October 10th continued

One of the benches was empty in Knockturn Alley and I sat down to enjoy my ice cream.

There was a line stretched around The Leaky Cauldron entrance into Knockturn Alley almost to Borgin & Burke’s waiting to get into the Leaky Cauldron. I have never seen this before.

I was enjoying my ice cream when I began to wonder about the injuries to the Dragon on Gringotts so decided to look it up on my phone.

The info said the Dragon had been under ground for so long that it was partially blind. The dragons scales were pale and flaky and the cuts were from the brutal treatment by the Goblins. It was chained to the ground defending several high security vaults.

The dragon was conditioned to back away from the vaults when the Goblins shook the hand clappers. I remember seeing that in the movie.

I had taken many pics of the Dragon over the years. I always wondered about the markings.

The poor old Dragon was relieved to be freed and Hermione, Harry and Ron were glad for the ride out of the bank.

Jk is a genius writer.

Ok, ice cream done and the Dragons injuries researched. I was ready for a little walk around Knockturn Alley.

Borgin & Burke’s was a little busy do I waited till a number of folks came out to go in.

5E5D5B27-DA5F-404F-BBE2-F90C81840C60.jpeg

Hand of Glory
20A53EF2-BCE7-44D6-816B-D0EA9B7ED6F7.jpeg

Death Eater Masks of Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange

B39CE09A-66D6-46A5-8CBA-99CAB24764FE.jpeg

Vanishing Cabinet. Stand close and listen to the bird.
66E6321F-391C-43A3-B905-87E19BEE12FB.jpeg

More Death Eater masks on the shelf.
DE144748-6A6B-4ADC-BAAD-6D674CCA02FE.jpeg

Walk to the back of the store on the left and listen for the chains wrapped around the trunk rattling. There is a Boggart inside.

After I was done in Borgin & Burke’s I went back out the door and listened to the Shrunken Heads sing.
25B7A138-10BF-4168-985D-DA2F6C3426D6.jpeg

BED51549-D55B-48A6-89E9-CD8E5575A49A.jpeg
I walked around watching people doing the magic spells. Then left Knockturn Alley.

I walked into Madam Malkin’s Robe shop and It was about 12:05. Two girls were looking at their phones and looked at me and said both parks were at capacity. They also told me that the rides that were on the virtual line today were filled up until 2 pm. I looked on my phone and sure enough both parks were closed because they had reached capacity.

When the girls tried to check the virtual line information again it was buffering, One said the system was probably being overwhelmed.

I walked over to Globus Mundi it was closed, but I enjoyed reading the Wizarding Trip options offered in the window.

D54CFE87-2E28-496C-9F2C-EAE0143E17D3.jpeg

2AC6ED76-F016-4F84-BCB8-E59037EBD294.jpeg

56C2963B-79F4-45DD-8AF9-FB85E410D5AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello! I mostly lurk here on the boards, but had to jump on to say I'm thoroughly enjoying this report! We're locals and UOAP's and visit the parks about once a week. But it's always fun to see the parks through another's perspective! Looking forward to the rest of it!

Hello! I mostly lurk here on the boards, but had to jump on to say I'm thoroughly enjoying this report! We're locals and UOAP's and visit the parks about once a week. But it's always fun to see the parks through another's perspective! Looking forward to the rest of it!

Thank you. I have really enjoyed writing the trip report. It has helped me to slow down and just enjoy the vacation and the memories.

As locals, pass holders and attending the parks weekly you all have a very unique perspective to share.

Life has sort of gotten in the way since I have returned home.

All my pictures are on my cell phone so writing the report on my cell phone has slowed the process a bit.

Thank you all for hanging in there with me everyone.

Hi there my dear friend!

:wave: Mac.......hope all is well in you in your neck of the woods. Good to see you post dear lady.

All the readers have totally enjoyed your trip report Robbie!

Your details and thoroughness was outstanding.
I’ve been to the Potter sections many times since it has opened, but some of your details you included things I have over looked.
Thank you for the pictures, comments and time you devoted to share with the readers.

Robo56, I read they are back to using the fingerprint scanners for entry now. Did you still have to show a photo ID as well? TIA!

Robo56, I read they are back to using the fingerprint scanners for entry now. Did you still have to show a photo ID as well? TIA!

Yes, the were using the finger scanners when I was there. I only observed them asking for photo ID if your scan did not work appropriately.

All the readers have totally enjoyed your trip report Robbie!

Your details and thoroughness was outstanding.
I’ve been to the Potter sections many times since it has opened, but some of your details you included things I have over looked.
Thank you for the pictures, comments and time you devoted to share with the readers.

Thank you Mac....I’am so glad you have enjoyed the report and photos.

After leaving Diagon Alley and seeing the sea of people in the streets I knew it was time for me to leave. The park was at capacity and it felt it. It was pretty hot out also by this time.

I went over to catch the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade. It was nice and cool in the station.

A754A594-F8D5-48CE-BC94-AF5E241C102A.jpeg
It’s always fun to watch people stand back and film their family or friends vanishing through the wall at Platform 9 3/4.

03F48601-06FE-4D39-A6F8-47050851D7CB.jpeg

People were social distancing without issue while waiting for the train. There are markings on the floor to help with that.

7A3E6D58-0E60-47AB-AA5B-9C1786BBA8BE.jpeg

I had never noticed the feathers laying in the bottom of the owl cage before.

B8073B59-EE97-432C-8058-73273BC073EA.jpeg

BD5B7713-6989-4D04-BA1A-9AE145BBAACD.jpeg

The train had just left when I reached the platform and when it arrived The second time they filled it up and off it went again. So third time was the charm and it was time to get in my compartment and enjoy the ride to Hogsmeade.

It had been so nice having a compartment to my self while riding on the Hogwarts Express.

For those on the fence about buying a park to park ticket. Buy it. Without a park to park ticket you will not be able to ride the Hogwarts Express between the parks.

After I arrived in Hogsmeade I had a look around and it was pretty crowded. I walked out of Hogsmeade and I was ready to get something to drink, but all the drink carts had lines so I kept walking. My sister had asked me to pick up a Grinch Christmas plate for her friend who is also a Grinch fan. So off to Seuss Landing.

While I was at the register purchasing the Grinch plate a little boy came up and said Trick or Treat to The TM at the register. She had a bowl of candy and she used some tongs to put some candy in his bag. I reached into my pack and asked the father if it ok to give his son the sealed package of gummy worms I received for completing the Scarecrow Stalk. The father said, sure. So the little fella went away happy with his treats.

At IOA all the stores participating in the Trick or Treating had this sign in the window.

3D3A5CCB-14FB-41E9-B1D4-A9A221EF8B42.jpeg

Last edited:
I had another shop to visit after my plate purchase.
Snookers Snookers Sweet Candy Cookers. It’s the sweet shop below High in the Sky Trolly. My sister had asked about the cookies and Grinch Apple there. I spoke to the TM and she said the Apple and cookies would last a few days. I also looked to the back of the store and they had a soft drink cooler. I bought a Coke Zero. I was parched and almost had the drink finished while she was ringing up the purchases.

I asked the TM if she had heard the parks were at capacity and she said if they were, they would be at Covid capacity not regular capacity.

E0B537CF-F26D-41D8-BD6B-74862D7A37C5.jpeg

91D2C7D1-9B29-4F3F-A16D-262CF8625C6E.jpeg

8371CAE2-24FE-4A7F-9363-28E51B514AF7.jpeg

34D1EDDF-B909-4C6E-9D96-6474C44600CF.jpeg

Purchases in hand I rode the Cat in the Hat and had a few last looks and I was ready to leave.

48623D56-DDCF-4A5F-BB4C-F72992A63FA5.jpeg

04D28692-9119-46D2-A9D0-F44A62935142.jpeg

FC73AAF1-13C6-4958-BFA9-76CD270FF0F7.jpeg

BB84A85C-848C-4E46-878C-877834DCD757.jpeg

Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-Pendous was closed while I was there.

As I reached the exit of IOA I saw TM’s putting gates up to close off the approach to IOA on the very end of the bridge. It was about 1:30.

It was hot.....LOL.....I think I mentioned that a few times. I was ready to go back the Resort.

Thankfully there was a boat waiting for RPR. I took my seat and we waited for a few others and left.

to be continued

Last edited:
What a great report Robo. Glad you enjoyed your time at the parks. Eek to those crowds!

Hey Lynne :wave2: Thank you. I did have a really nice vacation. So glad we were able to meet up for a couple visits. Hope you enjoyed your vacation too. I have seen a few of your pictures on the Sans. Looks like you really enjoyed the rides.

I love how your pictures show me stuff I have seen before but never really "seen". I never noticed the feathers under Hedwig's cage. I am going to go back from the start and look at all your photos again, they are amazing! I guess I never really slowed down enough to catch the little nuances all over the place. My husband likes to go to attraction to attraction not stopping at all the little inbetween shops, etc, just to go in and see what's there. Next time, I will insist that we stop and check things out, after showing him your wonderful pictures. :worship:

I love how your pictures show me stuff I have seen before but never really "seen". I never noticed the feathers under Hedwig's cage. I am going to go back from the start and look at all your photos again, they are amazing! I guess I never really slowed down enough to catch the little nuances all over the place. My husband likes to go to attraction to attraction not stopping at all the little inbetween shops, etc, just to go in and see what's there. Next time, I will insist that we stop and check things out, after showing him your wonderful pictures.

Thank you for your kind words. I have enjoyed reading others trip reports over the years and looking at their pictures has really helped me appreciate some of the details I would have missed if not for their keen eyes.

Schumigirl writes lovely trip reports about Universal on the boards here. She and her husband have beautiful photos of Universal and places they explore in and around Orlando and beyond.

After the boat entered the area where they turn to approach the dock I looked over at Sapphire Falls. The Resort is closed right now. It is a beautiful Caribbean themed resort. Like RPR they have the nicest people that work there. The Amitista Cookhouse Restaurant at SF has delicious food and the Strong Water Tavern has wonderful rum, bourbon, cocktails and small plates.

I have added a few days there for the last few years when I make my trips to Orlando. I was sad to hear they had closed. Hopefully things will settle down with Covid and they can open back up.

RPR has put into place great Covid precaution measures. The parks have put into place wonderful precaution measures. People want to get out of their homes and travel. I can see the Resort’s and the parks getting busier. Hopefully the Sapphire Falls will reopen soon.

Once the boat docked I was ready to get to my room. I passed the pool on my way and there were lots of folks enjoying the sun and water.

As soon as I opened the door to walk to the elevator I felt the nice air conditioning. It felt so nice on this hot day.

After I reached my room I put my purchases in the closet. They do have very nice large closets. I had already repacked things in some nice bags with handles I purchased earlier in the week.

I pulled the curtain and went and had a nice shower. I was tired and laid down for a quick nap.

I had early dinner reservations with my older sister D who lives in what I call a suburb of Orlando.

I had been looking online at local steak houses when I saw Eddie V’s and remembered Schumigirl giving it a nice review in one of her trip reports.

When I tried to make reservations online the day before I was not having any luck. I called and was able to get an early reservation. That worked fine as I needed to be in bed early to leave Sunday.

My sister and I met up in the parking lot and went inside and there were already a number of people checking in for their reservations at the desk.

We were seated promptly and our waiter came over and gave us the drink menu. I looked at the cocktails. I had originally decided to order the 24 Karat cocktail. I don’t usually drink vodka, but all the other ingredients sounded very nice.

Well I changed my mind and my sister and I ordered the Red Dragon. The waiter said it was one of their most popular cocktails.

It was supposed to have Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, fresh muddled strawberries, mint and lime.

It was not what we expected at all. It tasted like water and rum. Granted there was plenty of rum, but at the bottom of the glass were a few thin pieces of mint, strawberry and the tiniest sliver of lime.

We should have sent them back, but like the polite southern ladies we are we drank them. This drink would have been a lot better with some strawberry purée, more mint and lime.

As we were talking another table not far from us ordered the same drinks and took one drink and pushed them away. Ok we were not the only ones.....LOL

Well we were ready to enjoy our dinner. We decided on the lobster bisque for our appetizer.

The 8 ounce Filet and the truffle Mac and Cheese as a shared side.

We were served some nice warm bread and butter. It was very good.

When the lobster bisque arrived it smelled really fishy. It had some nice pieces of lobster in it, but the smell was a bit off putting. It tasted fishy too.
B13247E1-7009-4F1A-A2B5-082B4A86A391.jpeg

So far it was strike 2 on this meal. I felt bad as this had been my idea.

Then the steaks arrived. They were cooked to perfection and were delicious. The Truffle Mac and Cheese was sublime. It was creamy, cheesy with a mildly crunchy topping and plenty of shaved Truffles on top.

We were enjoying the meal so much I forgot to take pictures of the steaks and Mac & Cheese.

Our waiter was fantastic. This was a very laid back meal time wise. The server had impeccable timing. He was very attentive without being overly intrusive.

The restaurant is elegant, but not stuffy.

After our meal we decided on the Bananas Foster Butter Cake. It was Flambéed table side. Nice dessert theater. The waiter did a very nice job.
0FCD550D-3036-43D2-BAE6-23F448392EDB.jpeg
It was very tasty. I was pretty full so after sampling the dessert I was done. The waiter asked if we wanted to go boxes. Yes, on the Mac & Cheese no on anything else.

The only disappointment with the meal was the drink and the appetizer. Will I come back again. I will give it another try for sure. This is a lovely, elegant restaurant with impressive steaks and impeccable service.

On the subject of reviewing restaurants. I never want to ever be overly critical of a restaurant.

We live in the age of social media were people do their research on restaurants sometimes before eating there. You want to make sure the food is good, the service Is good and your are getting good value for your money.

I enjoyed my meal. I was sad this was the last day of my vacation and sad to say goodbye to my sister. We are getting older and it has hit home to me how important it is to treasure time spent together with family.

After our goodbyes I loaded 3 wreaths from her SUV to mine that she had made for our younger sister.

I went back to RPR packed up, showered and sat back to reflect on my vacation. Looking at the pictures brought a big smile to my face. This had been a wonderful, relaxing, fun vacation.

I fell asleep pretty quick. My bed and pillows had been so comfy.

I woke up very early as I wanted to get the SUV loaded and get on the road. So I dressed and went down for a luggage trolley.

I had arrived with one large suitcase and a smaller bag...... and I was leaving with a luggage trolley filled to the top. I had done some Christmas shopping and some shopping for my younger sister.

It was about 3:30 am and the tile floors were being mopped and I didn’t want to track on the clean wet floors with the trolley wheels or my shoes, but I didn’t have a way not to.

I looked at the floor closer to the front door and someone had already tracked up her nice clean floor with dirty shoes and she was going to have to mop that area again.

I pulled my SUV up to the front and loaded things up so I could easily get to my sisters bags to deliver them to her.

I returned the trolley to its room. Checked out and was on my way.

Some final thoughts and pictures coming up.

My wonderful trip recap to Universal

5D438E06-B3F8-4814-A192-98402230BE98.jpeg

I stayed at a beautiful Resort, Royal Pacific with very comfortable accommodations and the nicest employees. If you have never stayed there give it a try.

5B4174BA-08A2-4473-B22C-71A17EA377E1.jpeg

BD95C6B5-F1D3-4EFB-8837-CEEDF0A91D4F.jpeg

16D41622-40AC-4093-8D39-2405ECED0911.jpeg

I had a late lunch in the AP dining room all to myself at Lombards.
9B031A08-E0DA-447C-9789-8F97F6DCF0D2.jpeg

I had a yummy donut.
A07F27C5-5F86-4EC0-9CBA-A021F535B65B.jpeg

I finally rode Hagrid’s Magical Creature Motorbike
42233AED-3513-4F15-84BD-EB8290CD04E8.jpeg

I watched a new coaster being built.
821941E0-1447-4AAD-B125-DD4D5403C25A.jpeg

C4FDC943-0C5B-4849-A5F0-E2994C5230BC.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter