You Get a Suite! You Get a Suite! Everybody Gets a Suite! December 2023 Trip Report! (Updated 4/26!)

Oh my goodness a balcony Q&A sounds so cool! You have sold me on a weekend staycation at AKL concierge. Crossing my fingers you enjoyed Jiko as that's historically been one of my favorites.

That is my favorite way to relax! I have never done that at Disney, but it sounds really nice.
Yes! It's my Sunday evening ritual, gotta take a nice relaxing bath (with wine of course) to ease my way into the workweek. It was so amazing being able to do this in Disney, I really wish every room had one of these big soaking tubs.
That is so cool that she offered to take questions! And how sweet with the hornbill following her.
This was one of my favorite things from our stay at AKL. It was such a cool experience, and she was great answering all the questions being asked. I tried sitting outside the same time the next day to see if she or another trainer would come by again, but I must have missed them since I didn't see anyone come by.

Oh my goodness a balcony Q&A sounds so cool! You have sold me on a weekend staycation at AKL concierge. Crossing my fingers you enjoyed Jiko as that's historically been one of my favorites.
It was such a cool experience, I was really impressed the trainer did that!

We love Jiko, it's one of our favorites as well, but it is kind of annoying to get to if not staying at AKL so we often skip it. It was once again a great meal, although I don't think I did the best job picking my entrée this time around.

I wish all rooms had these big soaking tubs, I’ve never taken a bath at Disney before, but it was wonderful!
I always use the big tubs when we stay in a 2br villa. They are really nice. I rarely use the bathtubs in the regular resort rooms. They are just too shallow. And sometimes the water doesn't get hot enough.
then went to see if the animals were back outside the balcony.

There were some, so I sat back out there to watch them again.

After a while a CM drove over with food, and as she was spreading the food around, she called up to those of us out on the balconies if we had any questions for her! This was so cool, so I asked what this one really big bird was that was following her around, it was a hornbill, and I mentioned it seemed to be very fond of her, to which she replied that she is one of his trainers so he tends to follow her around! Ha!

Other people on the balconies called out questions too, it was a really cool experience to have this semi-private Q&A with an animal trainer from the comfort of our own balcony!
That sounds like a very fun experience. The animals are the only reason to stay at AKL, imo. :)
The food this evening at the lounge was really good, they had these huge meatballs, a shrimp dish, and something else that I wrote down but can’t read my handwriting
The food looks delicious. We've done CL at a few resorts and always eat dinner in the lounge. It justifies the cost of the upgrade for us. :)

After a while a CM drove over with food, and as she was spreading the food around, she called up to those of us out on the balconies if we had any questions for her! This was so cool, so I asked what this one really big bird was that was following her around, it was a hornbill, and I mentioned it seemed to be very fond of her, to which she replied that she is one of his trainers so he tends to follow her around! Ha!

On my trip last September, the meerkat trainer came out and did some training with the meerkats in their enclosure. Some where we could see and some where he was back out of sight. He stayed a few minutes after he finished and answered a bunch of questions for those that were there. Did you know that the green on each one is in a different spot and it is to help quickly identify if one specific one has an issue? It is also edible and vegan so ok if they eat it and is replaced about every 3 weeks. Also, if one goes to the vet, all of them go because they cannot separate them or the one removed may not be welcomed back into the group. Or that they ride out hurricanes in the vet hospital as there normal barn floods, so they go in a big padded room there. Oh and that the keepers have to closely inspect their area every day to ensure none of the bushes or branches get too long that they could try to climb out.

As you can tell, I love talking to the keepers and love that that one stopped and answered questions for those on the balconies.

I always use the big tubs when we stay in a 2br villa. They are really nice. I rarely use the bathtubs in the regular resort rooms. They are just too shallow. And sometimes the water doesn't get hot enough.
I didn't realize the villas had the soaking tubs....that may be incentive to book a villa one of these days!
That sounds like a very fun experience. The animals are the only reason to stay at AKL, imo. :)
It was so cool!
The food looks delicious. We've done CL at a few resorts and always eat dinner in the lounge. It justifies the cost of the upgrade for us. :)
We were pretty impressed with the food at the lounges, except for at lunch of course, but breakfasts were usually great, and the appetizers were delicious and usually more than enough for dinner. Definitely got us hooked on CL, can't wait to try new ones this fall!

On my trip last September, the meerkat trainer came out and did some training with the meerkats in their enclosure. Some where we could see and some where he was back out of sight. He stayed a few minutes after he finished and answered a bunch of questions for those that were there. Did you know that the green on each one is in a different spot and it is to help quickly identify if one specific one has an issue? It is also edible and vegan so ok if they eat it and is replaced about every 3 weeks. Also, if one goes to the vet, all of them go because they cannot separate them or the one removed may not be welcomed back into the group. Or that they ride out hurricanes in the vet hospital as there normal barn floods, so they go in a big padded room there. Oh and that the keepers have to closely inspect their area every day to ensure none of the bushes or branches get too long that they could try to climb out.
That is so cool! Was this at AK or at AKL? I love these types of interactions, and the CMs seem to really love talking about the animals and answering questions. Also, why is their room padded?!?
As you can tell, I love talking to the keepers and love that that one stopped and answered questions for those on the balconies.
Yeah, it was such an awesome experience, I was very lucky to be out there when she came by. I wish I had thought of additional questions!

That is so cool! Was this at AK or at AKL? I love these types of interactions, and the CMs seem to really love talking about the animals and answering questions. Also, why is their room padded?!?

Yeah, it was such an awesome experience, I was very lucky to be out there when she came by. I wish I had thought of additional questions!

This was in the AK park over by the meerkats. Their room in the hospital for hurricanes was padded mainly for their safety as I recall. And partly to keep them in when the keepers came into check on them and feed them.

This last trip in March I spent quite a bit of time talking to the keepers/guides over by the gorillas. I can mostly tell the males in the bachelor group apart now from their guidance.

This was in the AK park over by the meerkats. Their room in the hospital for hurricanes was padded mainly for their safety as I recall. And partly to keep them in when the keepers came into check on them and feed them.
I forget that they have them at AK! Although I also have never seen the kangaroo that is supposedly there, so I swear some of these animals are way too good at hiding! Interesting about the padded room, I guess anything for safety!
This last trip in March I spent quite a bit of time talking to the keepers/guides over by the gorillas. I can mostly tell the males in the bachelor group apart now from their guidance.
That is so cool! You're making me want to spend more time talking to the keepers!

Hello everyone! Mini real life update!
When I saw the passholder days thing today, I sent it to my mom and jokingly said that this is a sign that I should get a Disney trip for my birthday since the passholder days span my actual birthday. I can't even begin to describe my shock when my mom replied, that maybe it will be a birthday present! WHAT?!?! :oops:

So now I'm looking at a potential trip in June for my birthday! But, big question here. I would be there for my actual birthday, so I feel like I should do something special that day, but I can't think of anything! Anyone have any ideas?

I forget that they have them at AK! Although I also have never seen the kangaroo that is supposedly there, so I swear some of these animals are way too good at hiding! Interesting about the padded room, I guess anything for safety!

That is so cool! You're making me want to spend more time talking to the keepers!

AK is my absolute favorite park. I just love visiting the animals. And the keepers love guests who want to engage and ask questions wanting to learn more.

And for your birthday visit - I figure it is my day and I get to pick all my favorite things to do that day. So at WDW, it would be a day at AK and then dinner at either Steakhouse 71, Le Cellier, or Teppan Edo which are all tops on my list of favorite restaurants. At Disneyland, we enjoy all my favorite rides and then usually go out to dinner closer to home at one of my favorite restaurants like Benihana or Houstons.

When I saw the passholder days thing today, I sent it to my mom and jokingly said that this is a sign that I should get a Disney trip for my birthday since the passholder days span my actual birthday. I can't even begin to describe my shock when my mom replied, that maybe it will be a birthday present! WHAT?!?! :oops:

So now I'm looking at a potential trip in June for my birthday! But, big question here. I would be there for my actual birthday, so I feel like I should do something special that day, but I can't think of anything! Anyone have any ideas?
Go for it!! How about a special dinner? Have you dined at Victoria and Albert's? Monsiur Paul? The Omakase experience at Takumei Tei?

Happy Birthday from another June girl!

Fireworks cruise
Hoop Dee Doo review

Well, I can tell you what I'm doing - birthday a week from Saturday!! Magic Kingdom (since it is my favorite park) for most of the day and then I'm doing Steakhouse 71 for dinner. I mean...a piece of that 17 layer chocolate cake for my birthday??? Sign me up. I would probably have tried for a late something in the parks (like a dessert party or After Hours if it was happening) but I have to get up and drive the 10.5 hours back on Sunday so no late night party with the Mouse for me. My big treat is that it will be my say yes day. Do I want to ride this? Yes. Do I want to eat this? Yes. Do I want to buy this? Yes. I can hear my wallet screaming in mercy but them's the breaks kid.

Birthday ideas: Spa day at Grand Floridian or Dolphin or Four Seasons? Special dinner at Bull & Bear (Waldorf Astoria) or Capa (Four Seasons)? Evening safari plus dinner at Jiko - forget what it's called. Tequila tasting at La Cava. Wild Africa Trek? Amphicar ride at Boathouse? If on a weekend, the Goofy & Friends breakfast at Four Seasons? I'm on a Four Seasons kick, it seems. Buy a house in Golden Oak? :laughing:

I feel like I should do something special that day, but I can't think of anything! Anyone have any ideas?
I have done a Fireworks cruise at Epcot twice, once for my bachelorette party and once for my 5 year anniversary. It is hands down my Favorite splurge at Disney. Cannot beat the view from under the bridge.

AK is my absolute favorite park. I just love visiting the animals. And the keepers love guests who want to engage and ask questions wanting to learn more.
I totally get that, AK is in my top two, it's such a beautiful park and I love all the animals. Prior to taking biology in high school where we had to dissect a fetal pig I had wanted to be a vet, but that was just a bit too much for me, so engineer it was instead!
And for your birthday visit - I figure it is my day and I get to pick all my favorite things to do that day. So at WDW, it would be a day at AK and then dinner at either Steakhouse 71, Le Cellier, or Teppan Edo which are all tops on my list of favorite restaurants. At Disneyland, we enjoy all my favorite rides and then usually go out to dinner closer to home at one of my favorite restaurants like Benihana or Houstons.
Yeah, my problem is I have too many favorites! :rotfl: In my dream world I would get a pass that day to ride Guardians on repeat all day long, but alas, probably not going to happen.

Go for it!! How about a special dinner? Have you dined at Victoria and Albert's? Monsiur Paul? The Omakase experience at Takumei Tei?

Happy Birthday from another June girl!
Thank you!

I was definitely thinking about doing a special dinner. I have ate at all three of those already, which is part of my problem, I've done so much of the special stuff already. I could of course go back to one, but we're planning V&A's for our September trip (fingers crossed we can get the chefs table again!), and we just did Monsieur Paul in September and Takumei tei last January. They are all so ridiculously good, so maybe I will book one! Although first I should book an actual trip! :rotfl2:

Fireworks cruise
Hoop Dee Doo review
Ohhhh, I totally forgot about Hoop dee doo! I haven't seen that in like 30 years, that's a great option! I also love the fireworks cruise, but with how short the trip would be I suspect it would be hard to get, but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky!

Well, I can tell you what I'm doing - birthday a week from Saturday!! Magic Kingdom (since it is my favorite park) for most of the day and then I'm doing Steakhouse 71 for dinner. I mean...a piece of that 17 layer chocolate cake for my birthday??? Sign me up. I would probably have tried for a late something in the parks (like a dessert party or After Hours if it was happening) but I have to get up and drive the 10.5 hours back on Sunday so no late night party with the Mouse for me. My big treat is that it will be my say yes day. Do I want to ride this? Yes. Do I want to eat this? Yes. Do I want to buy this? Yes. I can hear my wallet screaming in mercy but them's the breaks kid.
First of all, Happy Birthday!!!!!

I like the idea of a yes day, but I think I would need to put a limit on my spending since that could get really dangerous really quick! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter