You guys will understand......

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
We are going to need our passport photos done, and I know you guys will understand this question. I want to wait to get the photo done so I have some more of this weight off for a nicer picture. (you are stuck with it for 10 years... OUCH!) Does anyone know how soon I need to get them done so we can get all the passport info in and back by the beginning of November?

ie... How much time do I have before I have to take the photo?

I don't know Vija- you might have about a month more and then you really need to put that in- unless you live in a major city like Chicago. You can get your passport done there ina day if you have to!

I think you get them in the mail within 6 weeks. (ask on the cruise board - those folks know). I think you'd be safe to get the photo in early September.

Vija, it all depends on which agency it is sent to and how busy they are. Typical turn around time is 6-8 weeks, but one time (I've had 3 passports) it only took 3 weeks. But I would go by the 8 week guideline just to be on the safe side.

No idea on the passport - sorry

However, I do need to have my license renewed before we step onboard the Magic Nov 8th. It will expire while we're gone as we'll be celebrating my Nov 13th birthday onboard ship.
I hadnt thought about how much thinner I will be when the picture is taken. Thanks

Barb---Awesome news for you! I just had my drivers license renewed (yes Massachusetts) and as long as you were over 21 when your last driver's license photo was taken you can renew ONLINE and they just use the picture they have on file.

I can't tell you how happy that made me!;)

Look for the renewal info in the mail about a month before your birthday.

Vija

save yourself some money. to cruise you only need your picture license and certified copy of your birth certificate.

:D

WovenWonder, I'm really not trying to start a debate here. Really. But aren't they suggesting passports in light of the world climate? It was my intention to bring mine and get the Dd's done, too.

I like the idea of waiting for that pic! I'm waiting to get a mother/daughter pic done. Unfortunately, the baby is growing faster than I'm losing!

Originally posted by house_of_princesses
But aren't they suggesting passports in light of the world climate?

Our cruise documents from our May cruise said this:

IMPORTANT IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTATION REMINDER

All US citizens MUST present one of the following as proof of US citizenship for each member of the party

1. valid US passport

2. certified birth certificate and a picture ID issued by local, state or federal gov't (for children under 18 only a valid birth certificate is required if traveling with parent/legal guardian)

3. certified naturalization certificate and a picture ID issued by local, state or federal gov't

From the looks of that, you don't HAVE to have a passport. We opted to use them as it's easier to grab a small passport than crumpling up our birth certificates and because they are more durable....since they do have to last 10 years.
Btw, we had the paperwork on our desk for MONTHS waiting to turn in. We kept procrastinating. Finally, with 6 weeks left until cruise time (and the paperwork said "allow 6 weeks) we got it turned in. We got our passports in plenty of time (I want to say with a couple of weeks to spare)
HTH!

You do not need passports to cruise with DCL. But if your birthcertificate is not an original --- you will need to obtain a certified copy. We've cruised 3 times and I've never had a passport in my life. And we have cruised since 9-11 also.
:D

We have cruised (not DCL) and did not have a passport. But one thing I advise is to take along photocopies of you birth certificate and ID. Keep copies somewhere other than with the originals and if by chance you lose originals you do have some proof available. This tip given to us when we traveled with a group to Mexico several years ago.

And another travel tip, if you wear a "fanny pack" secure the strap to your clothing (using diaper pin) so if someone should unsnap it from you - they can not grab and run off. (This tip given to us by some dear friends who were well seasoned travelers).

Veja i just got my DL renewed and taken a picture for what will be my FIRST passport. I was so proud girl! I could totally see a difference in my then and now face portait i know exactly how you feel. You look forward to it girly and have a great time. On my papers for my passport it also said 6-8 weeks so i'm mailing mine in way ealier for my may trip next year to Anguilla!

What a great tip about pinning your fanny pack - would never have thought of that!

My DD went to Europe with class few years ago and we forgot and waited until last minute to get passport - you can pay an extra fee (I think it was an extra $35) and they expedite it - we had it in 11 days! Good thing too, because she left 2 days after we received it! Talk about sweating it out!!

I understand all too well, Vija. We went to a drug store to get our passport pictures taken. They were the worst pictures! I kept looking at mine on our way to the post office (to fill out passport forms) and almost crying. While we were with the clerk at the post office, she looked at our pictures ( and my quivering lip) and asked if we wanted another photo. I was so grateful to her! The pictures are much better, still my fat face, but so much better.

And we got them back in three weeks, but I would give them at least 6 if you really need them.

I got a passport for the first time in '99 (for a Disney Cruise). I went to a Mail Boxes Etc. to get the picture taken (a friend owns it, and the first pic didn't turn out, so he took another, thank goodness!). The pictures are "instant" so you should get it right after they're taken.

As for the passport itself, I think the recommended time to allow was 6-8 weeks, but I remember getting all my stuff back in a month or less, very surprising! While you can have a "rush" placed on your passport, it also costs a lot more. I would say allow 2 months to be safe.

I always get my photos done in an automatic booth at Woolworth. I always feel odd smiling at a machine, but I do like a happy photo in my passport.

For my driving license I was wearing some dangley earings in the picture, when the card came back with the photo reduced the earings weren't too clear and look like I've got bolts through my neck like Frankenstein's monster!

Libby

I sent in for my passport sometime in the end of May. I received it in the mail last week. I went to our city hall to apply. When I saw the picture I wanted to cry (I guess after they took it they never showed me). But, I will have the pic for 10 years and hopefully it will be my reminder of what I'm not going to look like!! Also, whenever someone sees it I can smile and say
"thanks" when they tell me how much healther and better I look now......

As my DH reminded me it's a picture, it's nothing more then a reflection of me at one given moment in my life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter